• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought it was Fischer Motive 95, in 180. Or is that no longer a thing? :huh:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It does help to have a bright topsheet in case you lose a ski.

Guides really love it if you lose a ski in the middle of an uncontrolled slope and dig around for half an hour. Go ahead, ask me how I know. (Not heli - Silverton.)

Powder cords can be a very good thing in some places

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
You actually have a supply of unicorn horns??

I have found a few skis that fit the bill for me and where I ski (Advanced and Expert terrain in Colorado/Utah/NM/Wy Resorts). If I skied somewhere else then im positive my choices would be different.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have found a few skis that fit the bill for me and where I ski (Advanced and Expert terrain in Colorado/Utah/NM/Wy Resorts). If I skied somewhere else then im positive my choices would be different.
Exactly.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil:

I would love it if the person selling skis asked me all or even a few of the questions you highlight above. However, I wonder how many people really want to answer all these questions or think those questions are relevant? What is your (or any others who sell or have sold skis on a regular basis) experience with this? I suspect there are a subset of people who really just want the "best ski" so they have ended up on that Bonafides, Soul 7s, Enforcers, or whatever is currently the hot ski in the industry.
I ask(some of) those questions to nearly every customer that comes in the store. I usually don't have to ask all of them, and some times I can get the answers I need from just a few of the answers.
Quite often I get an answer like: I used to ski everything but now I'm skiing with my kids so I'm not getting off the blue slopes.
That's when I try to qualify how quickly the kids are improving and try to help guide the buyer to a ski that will help them keep up with their kids, because you know the parent will quickly be chasing the kids instead of assisting the kids.

Meanwhile, we often get someone who quickly says, "I ski everything, EVEN the blacks". That's when I usually stump them with a question about what they like or don't like about their current ski when they ski (Name the mogul run).
That customer will either answer the question with answers to the likes and dislikes or he/she will say, "Oh I don't do moguls"
I just learned a ton about this skier. This helps with with a direction to go.

I rarely get a customer who has no desire to answer any questions.

Rule #1 when assisting someone with a purchase - They will care more about what you know, when they know that you care.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So, do you ever exaggerate the level of the ski when you know the customer will be happy on an intermediate ski but wants to believe they are more advanced than they actually are? i.e. sell them the mid/upper level intermediate ski that's best for them even though they think they need a ski that's best for a higher level advanced/expert skier?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So, do you ever exaggerate the level of the ski when you know the customer will be happy on an intermediate ski but wants to believe they are more advanced than they actually are? i.e. sell them the mid/upper level intermediate ski that's best for them even though they think they need a ski that's best for a higher level advanced/expert skier?

I would sell them a ski that is easy to ski and can grow with them as they explore more of the mountain. If they get in over their heads an easy and versatile ski will be maneuverable at slower speeds and with bases pretty flat and have good enough grip for the slick spots and bumps common in steeper terrain will help them have more fun.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I tend to err o the side of caution. I also have skied enough of the skis on the wall to know which is a little more advanced, but is also more forgiving so the person shouldn't get into trouble.
Most cases, I can convince them that its money well spent if they get the right ski for their abilities and pass it on to another intermediate when its time to graduate.

Again, the customer (more often than not) appreciates it when you really care about their experience.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Although I generally make it a practice not to go into ski shops, I've walked right out of several when the "salesman" (and it's ALWAYS a guy), tells me "this is the best ski". No questions, no description, no explanation.
... and No Sale.

utahpete

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
For me, Nordica Helldorado. Such a great ski that they quit making it ( no reason to buy any more). Fantastic everyday ski for Utah !

Phipper

I ski for me
Skier
There is a "best" ski for everyone for each condition. The challenge is picking wisely for conditions that are constantly changing - often the case with lift serviced skiing. Time, money, energy and an understanding spouse to fit yourself with the right quiver to address most all conditions. 3 or 4 pairs handle the job nicely. I wonder what my ex is doing right now? As for heli/cat skiing, anything more than 100-110 that ensures you will simply plane across the surface isn't really the essence of powder skiing is it? The goal of skiing pow is really get deep into it, not float above. This is where heli trips fall apart. If your group is charging hard and ready for a full day and one of the alternate groups is learning with their super-fat skis and looking for lost planks then others will suffer and a beat down could be in order. That's when the unicorn horn really comes in handy.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
For me, all the skis nobody else wants! Soft(er) and shorter.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
As for heli/cat skiing, anything more than 100-110 that ensures you will simply plane across the surface isn't really the essence of powder skiing is it?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Maybe if you're light enough, that could be true? Certainly not my experience on 125s.