• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Best ski? Yesterday, in 16 inches of fresh with some windblown/sheered off at Snowbasin were my 2015 Nordica Santa Anas. I haven't skied them in two years and have no earthly idea why I ever thought I needed a different powder ski. I'll be holding onto these for a long time, especially since they changed the construction in them by adding titanal, and the newer version is stiffer than I like.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Best ski? Yesterday, in 16 inches of fresh with some windblown/sheered off at Snowbasin were my 2015 Nordica Santa Anas. I haven't skied them in two years and have no earthly idea why I ever thought I needed a different powder ski. I'll be holding onto these for a long time, especially since they changed the construction in them by adding titanal, and the newer version is stiffer than I like.

Like Amy I got back on my Fischer Watea 94 during last years Gathering (powder/crud/groomers) and wondered why I ever left. I bought a couple more specialty Nordica ski's ( HellnBack and Fire Arrow76Ti) and in most conditions the Fischers win. Admittedly the Fischers are longer at 186 so that may be a big factor but I couldn't be happier including the wind buff and scoured snow the last few days at Breckenridge.

Ski shops will not be happy, but I'll not be looking for new ski's anytime soon. Lightweight and full camber please.

RumbaRockette

Putting on skis
Skier
I absolutely adore my two pairs of Icelantic Skis. I'm not even sure why I held out so long. I ended up demoing them at Loveland in December... I fell in love with the Maiden 111's & 101's. I ended up getting both.

I use the 101's seventy to eighty percent of the time. They're absolutely great for almost all uses, including powder. The 111's are just that one notch better though in powder.

They're usually a talking point when I get on the lift. I get people local to CO noticing them right away and telling me how much they love theirs that they had or tried, and visitors mostly complimenting the look & asking where I got them.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I absolutely adore my two pairs of Icelantic Skis. I'm not even sure why I held out so long. I ended up demoing them at Loveland in December... I fell in love with the Maiden 111's & 101's. I ended up getting both.

I use the 101's seventy to eighty percent of the time. They're absolutely great for almost all uses, including powder. The 111's are just that one notch better though in powder.

They're usually a talking point when I get on the lift. I get people local to CO noticing them right away and telling me how much they love theirs that they had or tried, and visitors mostly complimenting the look & asking where I got them.
I really like Icelantic's graphics and know devoted fans. I also like their business model.

But shouldn't it be Icelandic?

Bob Barnes

Out on the slopes
Instructor
Contributor
What's the best ski?

Well, every one (or two) of these was. ... Once!

(Yes, I just cleaned out my crawl space. Many of these skis have not seen daylight in 20 years. And yes, it is snowing like it looks here in Summit County, Colorado, on May 20.)

Attachments

• 20190520_174349.jpg
    20190520_174349.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
What's the best ski?

(Yes, I just cleaned out my crawl space. Many of these skis have not seen daylight in 20 years. And yes, it is snowing like it looks here in Summit County, Colorado, on May 20.)

Hmmm, 15 pairs; how come that doesn’t surprise me. I’ll bet there have been a few more pair beyond these. I’d hate to think of how many I’ve had. Still have the straight sticks and leather boots my parents gave me for Christmas 1965. They were good for me...then.

James

Out There
Instructor
Actually, this is a simple question.
If you are at the top of the mountain, the best skis are the ones on your feet.
If you are at the bottom it is a lot more complicated.
Depends on the person. Since there's so much choice these days they could be thinking it's the ones you left at home.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What's the best ski?

DIBS...
  • Pulse, these need to come home
  • SCX RP, because
  • Lacroix, zay ahhh French!
  • HDC-SCX with a race construction

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
DIBS...
  • Pulse, these need to come home
  • SCX RP, because
  • Lacroix, zay ahhh French!
  • HDC-SCX with a race construction
I scored the last pair of Pulse demos off the Hart site this morning.

dm

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Strongly disagree with you. She who must be obeyed doesn't know when I get new skis so long as they are red. Red skis ARE the best.

Well, that adds a different angle entirely.
In this case I agree there is no better skis that the red ones.

Sponsor

Staff online