• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's the Purpose of Separation in a Ski Turn?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But a lot of things in freestyle/park have movements that are I suspect, just for moving. For some reason, it is better for us to be moving in order to react, than not. Even if it’s the wrong way. Think of tennis players returning serves st 130mph. They jump up just before the movement one way or another. This logically makes no sense.

I played with this subway surfing last week. (Where you try to balance standing without holding on.) You have better balance moving around constantly, before the action needed to balance, then standing there “ready”, attempting to anticipate. Even if you!re moving in the opposite direction. It’s freakish.

So if you're constantly about to jump, spin, or perform some maneuver, they’ll be a lot if movement. Then style and idiosyncrasies come into it.
Definitely! It's almost like the extra output of nervous habits can be used when skiing switch to calm the butterflies in the pit of your stomach. That helps to calm the nerves and keep your mind and body focused on the task w/ the "release" of that focus being the final goal for me. W/ your head cocked looking over your right shoulder, turning to the right (Rt from a normal fwd skiing downhill position) is easy.... it's staying in that upper body position and turning left (Left from normal fwd downhill position). That took a long time to develop a bit of a comfort zone as you transition your edges and get accustomed to what feels like the wrong foot being fwd. Not to mention the lack of being able to see clearly downhill at that point. It literally keeps you on your toes, or at least conscious of the pressure on the balls of your feet bec burying the tails would have disastrous consequences. That opposite turn sequence at first feels like plunging into an abyss. What I find difficult is re-adjusting how to loosen my hips and knees. To make it easier I readjust my thinking and adjust my foot movement to mimic more of a Tele ski type of options for positioning. That seems to dial it in for me a bit better for some unexplained reason.

A decent Switch learning vid I use when practicing:

Last edited:

Racetiger

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not sure that separation is being quite fully understood here. Switch is not so much separation as it is primarily considered more of a tendency, proclivity, role designation, whatever ... While I suppose it may be performed during skiing, I’m not quite exactly sure how. Yes, I will watch the video. I have heard of edging with skiing. Something to do about delaying impulse from the ski or whatever. I might try handcuffs and blindfold for a good balance and anticipation drill but that is about as far as I would go with all that.

As sensual a sport skiing may be, perhaps it would be better if I explain separation in more scientifically laboratorial terms: The very best way to achieve absolute separation for a skier is to first have them sign an all encompassing liability waiver (documented on video) and then put them whole, goggles and all, into a large blender that liquifies everything. Then, pour the solution into a giant centrifuge and spin it for an hour or whatever the time allotted for the lesson. Eventually, the CoM will rise to the top, the BoS will sink to the bottom and you will have finally achieved their complete separation.

After that, just pour the skier down any slope and examine the improved fluidity and flow down the mountain they will have as a result. Watch them cascade through the zipper line like never before and gush with pride. Liquifying separation can make a lot of things easier. Good separation melts in your mouth, not in your hands.

While the liquified skier’s family may not want them back in such a condition (understandably), you can always just repurpose them into the snowmaking. Though, maybe show a little respect and blow them over expert terrain. Afterall, they will have the separation for it.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reason #5 - Caston is doing it

1636586540623.png

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
So, the other thread has kind of gone off track, so let's start a new thread and see where this goes. What do you think the purpose is of rotational separation in a ski turn? Is there a difference in rotational separation between phases of the turn? Is there a difference between short, medium, and long turns? What are the biomechanics and physics that dictate the parameters for rotational separation?
I was told there would be no test today :duck:

Sponsor