• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's With the White Shoes?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
EVERYONE in the Tour is in white shoes. Is this a campaign from the shoe people to motivate everyone with perfectly good black shoes to get a new pair, to be fashionable?

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Yeah, I was noticing that yesterday. I like white shoes, but wow.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I'm playing it safe with my urban camo black, white and grey road shoes. As far as the sox go, I only have small feet so I just by kids sox with rocket ships and aliens on them!

James

Out There
Instructor
EVERYONE in the Tour is in white shoes. Is this a campaign from the shoe people to motivate everyone with perfectly good black shoes to get a new pair, to be fashionable?
Wait till they bust out the barfing clown neon graphics and you look like a Shoeby in shoes and socks on the beach.

Note: Afaik, "Shoeby" comes from the Jersey shore. We first encountered it from a waitress in Cape May. As she said to us, "Oh, you're Shoebies?" - Wait, what??
It essentially means beach tourist. We thought it came from "tourists" wearing shoes and socks on the beach. As did the waitress.
A few days later we were returning rental bikes on the shore late. We had gotten lost, and in an effort at humor said to the old guy at the rental, "We're Shoebies." To which he replied without missing a beat, "I know what you are." - Which was hilarious.

We then discussed what "Shoeby" really meant or what it came from. He informed us that it started years ago as people coming from Philly carried their lunch to the beach in a shoebox.

But anyway, soon with your black shoes, you'll be a Shoeby. Embrace it.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Lion King, Mario Cipollini , was rockin the white shoes way back in the day.......
0884c9e8be9bea8aa38aa1921bb16225.jpg
2003-cipo-tirreno-a-a_fotor2.jpg
64bf70b48dfde3969e9ffdeb73bd703f.jpg

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I met him at Interbike once. He was so much smaller than I expected him to be. Can't remember what color shoes he had.

scott43

Skier
He was over 6' I think...I met Don Cherry at the local barn one day..he was much smaller than I expected..couldn't have been more than an inch or two taller than me..I thought about goin' him but he was old.. :D:eek:

Sponsor