• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I use cheaper prep solvents early in a paint job but the DuPont 3919s is the best when you are going to spray the final coats.
DuPont sold its paint biz so that solvent is now called something else.
It works just great for a light base clean.
Cromax

Davec1

Booting up
Skier
After a bit of research, naphtha is called Shellite here in Australia.

Used as a cleaning solvent, as well as ultralight camp stove and lighter fluid.

You learn something new every day.

Last edited:

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I worked in a few outdoors sports stores many years ago & we'd snag a gallon can of plain 'ol Coleman stove fuel from the camping dept & use it as a base cleaner. Coleman fuel is basically just "white gas" (low ocatane gasoline with no additives) - which is the same as naptha. As a base cleaner - used conservatively and carefully - (it's quite flammable) the stuff works. But that was then.

Nowadays, when I really need to do deep cleaning of ski bases, I:

1) hot scrape

2) brush out with nylon & fine brass brushes

3) rub down the bases with a moderate amount of meadowfoam oil with fiberlene & then rub out any excess oil. The oil tends to break down (emulsify?) the remaining wax. Wend uses meadowfoam oil in their base cleaner(s).

4) lightly spray a Simple Green solution - 40% Simple Green, 40% Rubbing Alcohol, 20% Water - on the bases, wipe down well, wipe off completely and let dry. Rubbing alcohol can be the 70% variety or higher, doesn't matter. Anyway, this is mainly done to get rid of meadowfoam oil residue. Simple green works well for this as meadowfoam is an organic plant based oil.

If I'm just cleaning bases to get rid of grime & contaminants prior to waxing, I stop at step 3 and then wax - because the tiny amount of remaining meadowfoam oil on the base *supposedly* helps wax penetration.

If I'm going to do major base tuning/structuring/repair - or getting the bases ground - I'll do step 4 too, as it prevents gumming up files/stones with base wax residue.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If you use a multi step process would WD-40 be a good first step cleaner? The remaining steps to clean off the previous step.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Why be a cheapskate? Use what works and is formulated for ski bases!
upload_2019-5-24_7-0-8.jpeg
:micdrop::micdrop::micdrop:

James

Out There
Instructor
Coleman fuel is basically just "white gas" (low ocatane gasoline with no additives) - which is the same as naptha. As a base cleaner - used conservatively and carefully - (it's quite flammable) the stuff works. But that was then.
All these terms are confusing. Afaik, "White Gas" was gasoline without tetraethyl lead and other additives. Calling it gasoline is probably even wrong. I don't think it's been around in many years. 60yrs?

We have some chemists around, they need to weigh in. Naptha is a class of solvents and not exact afaik. Coleman contains 50% Naptha? It's hard to get actual info other than it cotains a lot of other stuff. Wikipedia is a mess on the subject, Colemans msds is a mess.

Look at the Swix msds. Maybe a chemist has a clue what's in it. I don't.

http://www.swix.de/content/download/7410/442371/version/1/file/I84C_0005_04-08-2015_EN.pdf

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All these terms are confusing. Afaik, "White Gas" was gasoline without tetraethyl lead and other additives. Calling it gasoline is probably even wrong. I don't think it's been around in many years. 60yrs?

We have some chemists around, they need to weigh in. Naptha is a class of solvents and not exact afaik. Coleman contains 50% Naptha? It's hard to get actual info other than it cotains a lot of other stuff. Wikipedia is a mess on the subject, Colemans msds is a mess.

Look at the Swix msds. Maybe a chemist has a clue what's in it. I don't.

http://www.swix.de/content/download/7410/442371/version/1/file/I84C_0005_04-08-2015_EN.pdf

Is that diesel fuel with some aromatics? So diesel doesn't dry out the bases but instead fills the voids with hyrocarbons that wax will bond to, whereas isopropyl alcohol cleans the bases but leaves them too dry?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Ha ha! I'm cheap on skis, but not the stuff I use on them!
Being cheap on skis should not stop you from buying more skis at great prices ;-)

Got to love end of seasons deals and summer tent sales :)

skis.jpg

Have actually added two more pairs and another wall rack since this picture was taken :)

Jacques

Skier
Being cheap on skis should not stop you from buying more skis at great prices ;-)

Got to love end of seasons deals and summer tent sales :)

View attachment 74715
Have actually added two more pairs and another wall rack since this picture was taken :)

Yea, I have about 22 pairs. Most I got on the cheap. Second hand thrift shop etc. I few I got new at close out times. Must have been given at least 5 pairs.
Here is an example of cheap. Not like fancy skis, but fine for rock season and still fun either way.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Yea, I have about 22 pairs. Most I got on the cheap. Second hand thrift shop etc. I few I got new at close out times. Must have been given at least 5 pairs.
Here is an example of cheap. Not like fancy skis, but fine for rock season and still fun either way.
I tend to buy high end skis at closeout prices from a couple secret sources :)
We also pass down skis from one child to the next as much as possible.
The other wall in my garage has about 15 pairs of ski boots in every size form 19.5 through 26.5 with a couple 29.5s for me :)

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
LoL, Thats me before I moved. 22 pairs !
I cut back to 11 pairs. One was an ugly pair which I harvested edge strips & base material to repair other skis.
It was hazardous so I cut it into small pieces with a Sawzall before trashing it ! Moved with 10 pairs.

Jacques

Skier
LoL, Thats me before I moved. 22 pairs !
I cut back to 11 pairs. One was an ugly pair which I harvested edge strips & base material to repair other skis.
It was hazardous so I cut it into small pieces with a Sawzall before trashing it ! Moved with 10 pairs.

A sawzall? That's the hard way.
This way is easier.