• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I’m getting my quiver settled so not too much changed this year. Narrow to wide:

2017 165 Rossignol FIS SL w/spx 15 bindings. Team version. Fantastic for free skiing. Ice to slush. Powerful, stable, versatile. They have a real quality/premium feel.

2022 165 Fischer RC4 FIS SL w/tyrolia 16 din bindings. Bought on a whim because of a really good price. Skied once so far. Beautiful round turns. Nice edge hold. Not as versatile or as fast as the Rossi so far.

2014 188 Volkl FIS GS w/marker comp 16 bindings. Smooth, fast and pretty easy to ski.

2014 173 Kastle mx83 w/look pivot 14. They are easier to ski than race skis and still hold an edge and good pop on groomers. Fun in bumps. Stable at pretty high speeds. Great ski to break out at noon after SLs become too demanding.

2016 183 Kastle mx83 with pivot 14. Just mounted these used ones I found last summer so no report. There are days on my 173s when I’ve wondered if I might like the longer length. Guess I’ll find out.

2016 174 Kastle mx98 with pivot 15. Love these. Really versatile, stable at speed for their length, fun to carve on soft groomers, good in powder and crud. Nice drift on chalk. The tips don’t float or dive in powder, they just work with the ski’s flex under the surface. Nimble at this length but still stable and powerful. Flex is very dialed. Great low vis skis. Great travel skis. No training wheels here, just competence. This lightly used pair is new to me this year. I passed my last pair on to my son who also loves em.

2016 194 Kastle mx98s w/pivot 15s. Kastle only imported 50 pairs of this length. I found a lightly used pair last spring so they’ve only been out a few times. But Wow. They need speed and steepness at my size/skill level but they truck along at 50mph in rough snow with no drama. From nice round powder turns to refrozen morning chunder (that I couldn’t tame on other skis) to fast groomers. They just perform. My friend has been hounding me to do the Derby de la Meije for years. If I go, these are my skis.

2021 K2 Mindbender 108ti with sth2. Good skis but I prefer the 98s in this slot. My son really likes them so I might pass them on to him or sell.

2011 DPS Wailer 112rp with Plum Guide bindings. Bought them new in 2011. Pretty much retired but I toured on them a couple times last year. Great for noodling in the trees. Light weight.

2016 191 ON3P Billy Goats with sth2. Fun, poppy, and big. I use these when the snow is heavy, crusty or otherwise funky.

2020 189 ON3P Cease & Desist w/sth2. Stiffer and better on groomed than Billy’s. These are for going really fast on big lines like in the movies.

2018 180 Line Pescado with pivot 14s. The ones with the paulownia tops and bamboo sidewalls. I like the feel of these better than the newer versions with abs sidewalls and nylon tops. My favorite pow skis. Best in light, untracked snow. Carve amazingly for the size.

2011 188 Praxis Protests with sth2. Big, fun and easy. I loan them to guests sometimes, powder training wheels.
Your mention of MX98s has inspired me to bring them to the front of my quiver. And to look up the Derby de la Meije. Looks like fun. I've done the Parsenn Derby in Davos but that is all piste. The Murren Inferno has also piqued my interest.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My 2022-23 Quiver. Will try to get by with just 3 pairs of Blossoms. Thank you Mike and Steve.

1669144438252.jpeg

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm remounting the old pair of Fischer Motive 95 and use them as the every day, don't care what happens to ski, skis. :)

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here’s everything currently in rotation. From 67 underfoot to 116. Some see very limited use now. I’m about to add a pair of 2022 Stockli AX 175’s and possibly the Blossom AM77 and the Volkl Blaze 86. As you can see I have 4 top notch skis in the 90 to 100 range and 4 outstanding powder skis. It’s time to update the <90 end of my quiver thus the Laser, AM77, and Blaze 86. If I can’t find a laser I’ll grab Montero’s.
7586FF0C-2ACC-48ED-81D3-84F86D0962BC.jpeg

Last edited:

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Your mention of MX98s has inspired me to bring them to the front of my quiver. And to look up the Derby de la Meije. Looks like fun. I've done the Parsenn Derby in Davos but that is all piste. The Murren Inferno has also piqued my interest.
Your post inspired mine.

You described yours as “inspection skis” for powder days. I don’t understand what you mean by that.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Your post inspired mine.

You described yours as “inspection skis” for powder days. I don’t understand what you mean by that.
I still ski race and coach. Mostly DH and SG. On a powder day, we all (racers, coaches and crew) have to slip the course and hill to make it safe to race on. Skis that are wider than DHs (65ish) and shorter but still longish with a biggish radius are good for slipping and inspecting the course.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I still ski race and coach. Mostly DH and SG. On a powder day, we all (racers, coaches and crew) have to slip the course and hill to make it safe to race on. Skis that are wider than DHs (65ish) and shorter but still longish with a biggish radius are good for slipping and inspecting the course.
Thanks. Makes sense now. I wasn’t connecting powder days and racing.

Next powder day you aren’t racing/coaching, take the horses out of the barn and let ‘em run.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Chuck Chuck Chuck , we’re Mammoth skiers two skis three tops.
Whats going on in South County ??

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
The inventory is set for the year. Will be interesting as a number of the skis have not been skied (hopefully I like them! :crossfingers:).

- Kastle MX83, 175, Attack 14
- Fischer RC ONE 86GT, 175, system bindings
- Praxis 9D8, 185, Pivot
- Fischer Ranger 102FR, 184, Attack 14
- DPS Foundation 106 C2, 185, Strive demo
- Fischer Ranger 108, 185, Attack 14
- ON3P Billy Goat (ASM version), 184, STH2
- Praxis RX, 184, unmounted (birds eye maple veneer, can't decide to ski them or hang them on the wall. They are pure art).
- Lange RX130 LV
- Atomic Hawx Prime 130

Biggest question now is which 3 skis to take with me from Breck when my buddies and I go on our 6 resort ski sojourn at the end of February/beginning of March. Conditions/predictions dependent.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My quiver is unchanged from last year.

Blossom AM77, 170, Vist Speedlock 412
Renoun Z90, 174, Attack 13 Demo
ON3P Woodsman 102, 182, Attack 13
ON3P Billy Goat, 184, Attack 13

Around here, that makes me a minimalist.

Thing is, all the skis are in good-to-great condition, nothing is at the end of its life and I can’t think of what else I might want or need. Sure, maybe a SL ski but there aren’t many times where I normally ski where that’s the best tool for the conditions.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm remounting the old pair of Fischer Motive 95 and use them as the every day, don't care what happens to ski, skis. :)
Love my M95s. Picked up a leftover pair when they had moved to the ProMtns and then didn't put many days on them as I had other skis in rotation. Mine are still in good shape with maybe 50 days on them. Great ski.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Updated East Coast quiver for my large frame (6'6", 220 lb).

Hard: 2016 Rossignol Hero Elite LT, 183 cm, Axial3 120, 1/3 tune

Mixed: 2022 Dynastar M-Pro 90, 186 cm, Pivot 12 GW, 1/2 tune

Soft: 2018 Fischer Ranger 115 Xti, Axial3 120 Dual, 188 cm, 1/3 tune

Rock: 2019 Dynastar Legend X88, 186 cm, Pivot 14 GW Forza (ungroomed), 1/2 tune; 2013 Elan Amphibio Waveflex 88 Xti, 186 cm, Pivot 12, 1/3 tune

Boots: 2022 Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 S GW 30.5, 2016 Lange RS 130 30.5 (non-GW bindings)

The Heros are still going strong. The Rangers were a bit of an impulse purchase a few years back to ski our occasional deeper days. The new Ranger 102 and other 100ish skis will be on my wish list for demo as a replacement, but as my knees age I question whether I really need anything more than the M-Pros. The Elans were still used occasionally as my old rock skis while the Legends are the new rock skis. I need to burn the last days out of these and save the bases of my better skis on days I know will be questionable.