• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's Your Skill level?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As if there isn't enough debate with skiing's number system for skill levels now there is a rating for your MTB level as well.

This should be fun...

https://www.mtbtrailmaps.com/mtb-tr...PnpFf-74ZWrRD7E5vD1xx-_39E-EwIf5dCE4GBJgbKpVY

According to this scale I am probably skill level 8, a not so expert, expert. However due to age and etc. I wouldn't want to try keeping up with what our local NEMBA groups would call and intermediate paced ride. I have the skills, just not the speed and stamina.

What's your level? And, is there the same silly anti calling oneself an expert stigma that we have in skiing attached to mountain biking as well?

Last edited:

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mountain biking is more forgiving when it comes to "getting in over your head". You can simply get off the bike and walk it. It's no fun but you don't usually get stuck standing on the edge of a drop and freeze while the sun goes down.

I've taken newbies on "intermediate" trails often. As long as there're bail out if the newbie is progressing too slowly (i.e. walk too much).

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mountain biking is more forgiving when it comes to "getting in over your head". You can simply get off the bike and walk it. It's no fun but you don't usually get stuck standing on the edge of a drop and freeze while the sun goes down.

I've taken newbies on "intermediate" trails often. As long as there're bail out if the newbie is progressing too slowly (i.e. walk too much).
Very true. My regular ride partner these days is my wife, Robin. She won't roll over a lot of stuff that I will but she is worth waiting for.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In my circle I’d say people over-estimate their skill even more than you might typically find in skiing. I base that solely on the total number of broken bones they’ve suffered.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In my circle I’d say people over-estimate their skill even more than you might typically find in skiing. I base that solely on the total number of broken bones they’ve suffered.
That’s why I consider myself a terminal intermediate mountain-biker. Separated shoulder and broken collarbone. Solid 7/7.

No way would I try the hardest bike trail in the East, but I have skied the hardest trails, usually without too much fuss.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mountain biking is mental for me, when I come to adverse terrain, when I am skiing, I look at what will go right, when I am mountain biking, I look at what can go wrong.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am probably 6/7 in skill and 7.5 or 8 in fitness. As others have noted, the consequences of a mistake on a mountain bike are typically bigger. Most ski crashes are injury free. The snow is soft and slippery. Mountain bike crashes are more likely to result in injury, so progress up in speed or air is slower.

What's your level? And, is there the same silly anti calling oneself an expert stigma that we have in skiing attached to mountain biking as well?
With regard to the aversion to the word expert I think in both sports it comes from the huge range of skill levels encompassed by the term expert. The differences between level 5 and level 6 are so much smaller than the skill differences within a group of all level 9 experts. In my group of regular "expert" ski partners the range of technical ability, speed, comfort in varied snow, tight spaces, steeps, air are all over the map. Do we all meet the definition of a level 9? I think so, but some of us do things that others of us just can't do. If everyone looks at the end of the bell curve and says "that is what an expert looks like, I am not that" then they wouldn't want to call themselves an expert. I think that is where the "good skier" is comfortable just calling themselves a "good skier".

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have been on a few mtb rides with some pretty amazing pros. As is skiing there are levels beyond expert that go into the professional category and then there are levels above that which go into the virtuoso, for lack of a better word, category.

Mountain biking is mental for me, when I come to adverse terrain, when I am skiing, I look at what will go right, when I am mountain biking, I look at what can go wrong.
I totally get that. Skiing a crux point I see the possibilities in mtb sometimes I see the consequences.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skiing a crux point I see the possibilities in mtb sometimes I see the consequences.
I always see both.

But in mtb, the consequence is almost always worse than in skiing. So as a result, I sometimes don't take the risk of 90/10 when mtb. Whilst in skiing, I often take the risk even at 50/50.

It's quite often I say "that's ridable, though not by me". ;)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
others have noted, the consequences of a mistake on a mountain bike are typically bigger. Most ski crashes are injury free. The snow is soft and slippery. Mountain bike crashes are more likely to result in injury,
I must say, I've noticed more blood when dumping my bike. :roflmao: That said, I guess I'm about a 5-6/5-6.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Back when I started mountain biking in the early 90s I'd say 5-6 was basically all there was. Fully rigid bikes, centre pull callipers etc limited the art of the possible. Berms and trail shaping didn't really exist. Nowadays maybe I'd be a 4 on a good day. Coming off a bike hurts a lot and I'm well past the chicks dig scars phase of life.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
About a 6 for me in skill and 8 in fitness. Berms are more difficult than it seems, I'm working on getting my body position and bike leaning right this summer.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
11! ;)

(with due apologies to Spinal Tap)

Sponsor

Staff online