• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your top-5 of ski runs worldwide?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Googling finds some interesting stories about why it was changed [they never asked him, and he sued] and why it was changed back [he mellowed, and they asked].
Yo answered my questions before I could ask. Glad Sylvan saw the light! I hope he & future generations can appreciate the legacy.
“Extreme” is so cliche.

James

Out There
Instructor
4) Point de Vue at les Grands Montets in Chamonix FR. It’s been years since I’ve been to the Alpes but I was simply swept away by this long and very scenic run. I was a severely out-of-practice when I took this trip... my legs were burning and shaking. I was very relieved when we arrived for lunch at the Refuge Lognan and after 2-bottles of wine, 4-rounds of Génépi, and a plate of cheese I was ready to resume skiing.
Wow, cool. Had I known, I would have taken that piste instead of the one other off Grands Montets, Pylônes . Where I proceeded to get disoriented in a whiteout and followed a guided group off piste. The guide, with Jagged Globe, let me follow.

6659DEC8-BCF2-4522-8F07-C94036FF3EFE.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Googling finds some interesting stories about why it was changed [they never asked him, and he sued] and why it was changed back [he mellowed, and they asked].
Blackcomb should initially or even when Saudan subsequently objected, have made a big deal of the naming of the run by bringing him to the resort and getting media coverage that would more than offset the travel and fees involved. A blown marketing opportunity, imo.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This run isn't in the same league as the others in this thread, but my favorite this season has been the short steep section under the top Chair 7 at Mt Baker, known as Chair 7 Face on the locals map. Chair 7 is a beginners lift and the first you take from White Salmon to get to the more advanced chairs of 4, 5, 6, and 8. Chair 7 is so entry level that Baker offers a discounted "Chair-7-only" ticket midweek when Heather Meadows is closed and Chair 2 is not turning.

But the Face is not entry level. Obstacles galore early season sets up for great pillow lines. And it's one of the steeper sections on the mountain; not Hairy Scary steep, but certainly Gabl's headwall steep. In fact, late season when Bake went down to just 7 and 5 with Gabl's closed, I found myself lapping 7 because this "beginner lift" had the best steep terrain on the mountain.

The combination of the beginner lift and being a short run makes it unassuming. So much so that I struggled to find any pictures of it. This was the best I could uncover; note this is the older lift, the new lift you go up on the right side.

smyeg0vowty79evz0glx.jpeg

But unassuming has its advantages. It holds good snow longer than expected. And with the Covid crowds this year -- all other western Washington areas had reservations so everyone just came to Baker instead -- a couple days this season I found myself just lapping 7 and this sweet little run when the rest of the mountain was too congested.

But the real reason this run is the best is the interactions you get with the lift. I got more woohoos here this season than anywhere else. And because it's a beginner lift, lots of the cheers are coming from kids. "Whoa! Dad, did you see that? That was so cool!"

To further add to the stoke, as the season progresses the snowpack fills in and the lift gets closer and closer to the ground to the point where the patrol has to put up ropes and "Keep Your Tips Up" signs to prevent people from getting pulled off mid ride. So what were calls from 20 feet above now turn into mini conversations as lift riders pass right next to you as you are standing on the edge looking down. Pole hi-fives from overhead passerbys almost guarantee this will be one of the best runs of your life.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
mini conversations as lift riders pass right next to you as you are standing on the edge
@James and I had a similar experience under the single chair at Mad River Glen, looking for a way through the steep rocks.
Rider: "that goes through over on the right"
After they've gone past: "no it doesn't. Are they nuts or trying to kill us?"

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
Wow, cool. Had I known, I would have taken that piste instead of the one other off Grands Montets, Pylônes . Where I proceeded to get disoriented in a whiteout and followed a guided group off piste. The guide, with Jagged Globe, let me follow.]

Niiiice! Nothing better than an impromptu guided tour.

James, You mentioned the Vallée Blanche which is on my “would like to try before I die” list.

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm drifting a bit here, but for my number one; King Kong Pillows. I haven't had the privilege of skiing yet. I've stood on top of it 3 times now, once in winter. I've been looking up at this hanging pillow field since 2002 as it's visible from the lake 6000ft below. On the shoulder of the peak directly above our cabin. Access is relatively easy, I'd like to think I have the skill level now and enough knowledge of the terrain and snow but so much else has to fall into place, all at the right time I doubt I'll ever ski it. A boy can dream.

Skip to 8:15 for the start of the line.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
James, You mentioned the Vallée Blanche which is on my “would like to try before I die” list.
There is no “try” with that, it would be a hard hike out. ogsmile
Definitely do it. I would recommend getting your own guide for a small group. Go to the hut on the cliff for a snack. It’s just crazy.

This photo doesn’t capture the height of the drop off. There’s also the smallest helipad I’ve ever seen. I don’t think they want the chopper to stay there lest it gets blown off.

00AFE086-8B6E-4EC6-ACFB-58A0D900267A.jpeg

B8C6A00A-CCA2-41B1-B187-D777D9B02A10.jpeg
“Here you stay left of my tracks, yes? Else we never see you again.”

Last edited:

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’ve been fortunate enough to ski a lot. All runs are good but Vallee Blanche at Cham is an experience I hope every avid skier can experience. I’m sure they’re other similar experiences but Nothing else comes close for me.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Greeley Hill, Alta
Spruces, Alta (glades under upper Collins)
South Coulter Ridge/Lower Sublette Ridge, Jackson Hole (powder day)
James Peak, Powder Mountain (powder day)
Campground Run top to bottom, Snowmass (early/groomed)
Golden Horn to Thunder Bowl, Aspen Highlands (early/groomed)

That was 6 but the last two tie for best groomer ever, couldn't just pick one

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
At the V B, a Guide YES. Not for a tour but for safety. Green ice with a dusting of snow looks a lot like an intermediate run, until it’s intersected by a crevasse.
The Stone Hut (refuge) Yes. Just for the time to enjoy the joy of the day.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
I think my favorite is the Lauberhorn in Wengen. Top of Wixi lift to Mary’s Café for lunch is tough to beat. Best time to ski it is late morning after sun has been on it a bit.

Have been lucky to ski this run ~60 times over five or six visits to Grindelwald. Great flyer, decent terrain changes, and fabulous scenery. Getting to it by train makes it even cooler.

E913554C-C058-4C19-818D-C7D70DE78B72.jpeg D8185856-FD18-4614-AD33-D64B914E75E7.jpeg

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Isn’t there a speed trap there? Have you done it, and if so, what were the results?
Yes, correct. There are a few speed traps in Wengen. One on the Lauberhorn - second half of the run after the compression (tunnel under train tracks). I don’t remember my speed but I do remember being happy I beat the guys I was skiing with that day. Since I usually ski 165 SL’s (Volkl Racetigers) with no helmet in Wengen, I’m sure the clocked speed wasn’t crazy fast. I have heard that it is the fastest World Cup DH speed in that section near the speed trap.

Oh, the other reason the Lauberhorn is cool is several scenes from Downhill Racer (1969, Robert Redford) were filmed on that run.

Haven’t been in a few years but looking to do a trip for the races. Ideally Wengen > Kitzbühel > Schladming.

Last edited:

Unmarkedobstacles

Back to being the UnofficialAlpine.com guy
Industry Insider
I don't really give a hoot about traveling so my choices are definitely Tahoe specific. I also don't care about choosing runs that make me look like the gnarly skier that I am not. This is the list of "if I could only ski 5 runs the rest of my life" in no particular order:

• Gentian Gully at Alpine Meadows
• High Yellow at Alpine Meadows
• Sunspot - Red Ridge - Ladies Slalom at Alpine Meadows hot laps
• Yellow Jacket at Mount Rose on a great corn day
• Crystal Ridge at Diamond Peak straight to bloodies at the Snowflake Lodge

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Whiteface- Skyward to whatever random combination of blues I wander on to on the lower half for 3000ft+ vert

Brighton- Wrens Hallow, anywhere in the trees, or the steeper sections off Milly chair on the lookers left.

Snowbird- Top to Bottom with Regulator Johnson and Black Forest included.

Snowbird- Tiger Tail

Snowbasin- Choose your own adventure for first groomer tracks off the John Paul chair

Sponsor

Staff online