• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your top-5 of ski runs worldwide?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody else having this cognitive issue? I can easily rank my top favorite runs at a single ski area, but my brain does not like trying to rank them at different ski areas. Doesn't compute, like comparing favorite sushi and Mexican restaurants.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Taos - Stauffenberg. I still haven't skied that thing, and it stares at me everytime I go up that lift. (I keep skiing Zdarsky every time I'm in the West Basin, since I feel I need to take people somewhere I know.)
Well now we have a plan for 2022.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Anybody else having this cognitive issue? I can easily rank my top favorite runs at a single ski area, but my brain does not like trying to rank them at different ski areas. Doesn't compute, like comparing favorite sushi and Mexican restaurants.

Yeah I can think of top 5 ski areas and then top runs within a single area. Depending on snow conditions, crowds on the mountain, and who I am skiing with, my favorite for the day is going to vary considerably. There are also 'runs' that I like that are parts of a few different trails all skied in pieces and stuck together. I wouldn't consider skiing any single pieces as my favorite.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier

Close your eyes, think of a great ski run. What shows up behind your eyes? Simple unscientific solution.
We addicts ran out of ski season and will do anything for a fix. Any spare memories will help.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I obviously need to travel more. And pay more attention to what I been on. Theres only a couple of names I know on this list. Most runs I know as 'that run.. the one you get to from that chair, you know the one the other side, blah, blah'

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think calling The Hobacks one trail is kind of silly. There is likely more terrain there than a good number of areas I've skied have in total.
That's true... people should have to pick between North, Middle, or South at least, as they're marked on the trail map... but those are still big areas.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
I’m a middle-aged type-2 skier so my list tends to focus more on having fun rather than extreme terrain.

1) Sparks Lake Bowl & Sparks Lake Run at Mt Bachelor OR. Starting in a treeless bowl, moving through snow ghosts, and finally onto tree-lined trails... the run down this stratovolcano is long, varied, and very scenic.
1C4098BE-C9F9-41FE-B5B4-2CE374029AEB.jpeg

2) The Cirque Headwall at Aspen Snowmass CO. There is something magical about taking a button lift up the rugged terrain to the Cirque... the crown jewel of Snowmass.
335C33E6-A5E1-48FD-A908-53011E5750F5.jpeg
49C6B58D-8225-437E-A3F5-9DC56D26BE59.jpeg
B4953F4E-D29B-469D-BD9B-E4210C8D9970.jpeg

3) West Face/Mosleys at Squaw Valley CA. Long, wide open, and consistently steep... this trail allows me to enjoy steep excitement at Squaw’s KT-22 chair without the rocks, cliffs, and dangerous obstacles found on the other trails.
30844754-FF04-4243-AE19-ADCEC7DFB4F6.jpeg

4) Point de Vue at les Grands Montets in Chamonix FR. It’s been years since I’ve been to the Alpes but I was simply swept away by this long and very scenic run. I was a severely out-of-practice when I took this trip... my legs were burning and shaking. I was very relieved when we arrived for lunch at the Refuge Lognan and after 2-bottles of wine, 4-rounds of Génépi, and a plate of cheese I was ready to resume skiing.
96ACDC86-4CCC-4954-BF93-26054659F2AE.jpeg
76D3B3A7-AA8C-404D-9F7E-B97D2D3375F0.jpeg
D5C3B709-C1E1-4C70-908B-34E643B4185B.jpeg

5) Ruins of Pompeii at Deer Valley UT. This steep little powder pocket always imparts a feeling of adventure and whimsy.
8189ACE4-691B-4F5E-8FFF-C2DBA51657EE.jpeg
Photo credit: blogs.deervalley.com

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
At my "local hill" (Whistler) runs have another name in a year or two or sections of them suddenly get "new" names so I never pay attention to what they are called.
I know were I am. One of my favorites is known as Brian's run but then pretty sure it's only called that by my friends in jest.

Odd thing I recall more named runs on hills I don't ski as often. They also change over the years with slope widening, or the dreaded increase in grooming so I'd never call a run a top 5 unless I'd skied it the same day
I skied Saudan Couloir at Blackcomb before it was remamed. Still a great run after being renamed Couloir Extreme..

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am not very big on memorizing the names of trails, they tend to blend together after a while. Also some of the ones are common to several ski areas.
You have trails like Racers Edge and Razors Edge in many different areas. How many areas have trails called Widow Maker, Outer Limits or a beginners trail called Snowflake. So my favorite is the trail I happen to be on that I can ski with all the enjoyment of our sport.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Saudan Couloir at Blackcomb before it was remamed. Still a great run after being renamed Couloir Extreme..
It’s been renamed once again to…..Saudan Couloir. I guess it no longer qualifies as “extreme.”

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
It’s been renamed once again to…..Saudan Couloir. I guess it no longer qualifies as “extreme.”
When it is named after an extreme skier like Saudan...enough said.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Googling finds some interesting stories about why it was changed [they never asked him, and he sued] and why it was changed back [he mellowed, and they asked].

Sponsor