• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wheel suggestions

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
My husband is looking for a set of wheels.

He has rim brakes and does not want carbon fiber.

Thanks for any suggestions.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I suppose we need to ask, budget? Weight? Typical rides? Can't go wrong with Campy Zonda or Shimano Ultegra. Personally I like custom wheel builds but that's cuz I build wheels. :ogbiggrin:

TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
What? You build wheels? Can we buy a pair from you? My husband is getting back into riding after a hiatus and a heart ablation.

Rides in the 25-50 mile range. Not a racer.
Something durable but decent. Good value.

scott43

Skier
I like the Specialized Roval SLX 24 wheelset. They would do the trick. The Campy Zondas are great but you have the issue of needing a Campy cassette. Shimano's wheelsets are also great. Ultegra or 105.

I still build my personal wheels the old fashioned way, 32 spokes and medium deep rims. I've used mostly Mavic in the past but like Velocity rims. Unless you're climbing a LOT, the more vee the better mostly. If you do a lot of climbing, go lighter, whatever that looks like. I don't like radial spoke pattern but I'll build them if the hubs work for it and people insist. I find they tend to lose tension and I don't like the build. Radial was popular but discs kinda cut into that.

I'd say custom used to be the best way to go..but..the factory built wheels like the Rovals, Campys and Shimanos are really good. For your hubby he may be better off with more spokes and more conventional build.

scott43

Skier
Oh, I'd be happy to build him wheels..but this is mostly friends and family thing for me, not a business..for now.. :) If you have specific questions about what he'd like and a bit of info on what he currently has component-wise, this can be informative. Speeds and brands. @Tom K. , @chris_the_wrench and @Jersey Skier do this more full-time than I do so they have more real-world input on different brands and builds.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
He has rim brakes and does not want carbon fiber.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Something durable but decent. Good value.

Boyd Altamont, Hunt Sprint Aero Wide (if he wants to try wider tires), Velocity Road Standard w. Deep V 700c rims. I'm - and not a little bit - heavier than he is :( Spinergy do a wheel called the Z-lite if he wants PBO spokes (I don't have those but I do use the GX 32 gravel disc version).

Or...get a pair built on the rims of your choice.

TrueNorth

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a set of new in the box Campagnolo Zonda rim brake wheels that I’ve been thinking of listing for sale. They have a 9/10/11 speed Shimano compatible freehub (yes, Campy now makes Shimano compatible wheels). They were meant to be a backup wheel set, but the bike they fit has mostly become a backup bike and I don’t really need a backup for the backup.

scott43

Skier
I have a set of new in the box Campagnolo Zonda rim brake wheels that I’ve been thinking of listing for sale. They have a 9/10/11 speed Shimano compatible freehub (yes, Campy now makes Shimano compatible wheels). They were meant to be a backup wheel set, but the bike they fit has mostly become a backup bike and I don’t really need a backup for the backup.
Perfect. Two problems solved! :)

TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Price?

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Mavic Kysrium Elite I have since 2011 on my road bike has been super reliable. No issues even with the plastic seals for the rear ratchet. Yes, it has a low spoke count, but due to the solid rim bed, it makes up in the strength department.

Also, on the cross bike, before it was stolen (when used as a commuter bike), the Stan's Alpha 400 that my LBS built with Shimano 105 hubs, iirc, I went with 32 spokes front and rear, stayed nice and true for the few years I had it.

Also Shimano tubeless wheelsets, like the 105's or Ultegras, are also affordable, strong, but like the Kysrium Elites, not exactly the lightest weights, but still light enough over the factory wheels, as they adapted Mavic's UST mountain bike profile for the road bike wheels, for a number of years, before Mavic introduced a road-UST wheel.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Custom wheels, road bike 9/10/11 spd?

Chris King hubset decision one done,

198lbs? Dt revolution spokes, decision 2 done.

rims, carbon is king now, i run carbon with rim brakes. Scary when wet!! So i agree on staying with aluminum. Not as many choices as before but still some. I haven’t seen availability but mavic open pros are hard to beat.

-Chris

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Another vote for the Campy Zonda wheels. Have them on my Colnago bike and were a nice upgrade over the very basic wheels that came with the bike. Nice “angry bees” noise when coasting.

scott43

Skier
Boyd Altamont, Hunt Sprint Aero Wide (if he wants to try wider tires), Velocity Road Standard w. Deep V 700c rims. I'm - and not a little bit - heavier than he is :( Spinergy do a wheel called the Z-lite if he wants PBO spokes (I don't have those but I do use the GX 32 gravel disc version).

Or...get a pair built on the rims of your choice.
I was looking at wider rims...but you get down to what's your frame limit? Some of the wider rims are preferred for 28mm and higher but many road bikes won't fit even 28. The Velocity Chukker is a nice rim for the bigger folks. But it's heavy. It also has a nice vee profile.

As Chris said, Mavic Open Pros have been a standard for 20 years. I like the CXP more for the aero personally. My wheels are basic Mavic A119's, 3x DT Revolutions with 105 hubs. I mean..they're bomb-proof. I may go to a more aero rim next depending on deals and inclination. I'd definitely look at a more aero rim..they do help, especially here where there is precious little climbing.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The Mavic Kysrium Elite I have since 2011 on my road bike has been super reliable. No issues even with the plastic seals for the rear ratchet. Yes, it has a low spoke count, but due to the solid rim bed, it makes up in the strength department.

Also, on the cross bike, before it was stolen (when used as a commuter bike), the Stan's Alpha 400 that my LBS built with Shimano 105 hubs, iirc, I went with 32 spokes front and rear, stayed nice and true for the few years I had it.

Also Shimano tubeless wheelsets, like the 105's or Ultegras, are also affordable, strong, but like the Kysrium Elites, not exactly the lightest weights, but still light enough over the factory wheels, as they adapted Mavic's UST mountain bike profile for the road bike wheels, for a number of years, before Mavic introduced a road-UST wheel.

You don't ant to be dealing with Mavic right now. They are in a total state of disarray. I won't dismiss carbon wheels.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
You don't ant to be dealing with Mavic right now. They are in a total state of disarray
The future of the company is abit cloudy but if you can find some rims to your liking in stock at a shop Id buy them without hesitation. Complete wheels i may need parts for(freehub bodies, proprietary spokes) later, id hesitate unless its a screaming deal.

Sponsor