• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When is it too hot to ride?

When is it too hot to ride?

• 90º F

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • 95º F

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 100º F

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • 105º F

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Its never too hot to ride

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 85º F. I'm a heat weenie

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • In true fashion on a forum...It's complicated

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have had this discussion about skiing, (When is it too cold to go skiing) but most recently, I've been doing my best to get out and ride early before it gets too hot.
If I dilly dally around the house, I miss my window of opportunity and end up not getting a ride in.

@Philpug on the other hand, will ride in 100º heat up Peavine, which is extremely exposed.

We went for a late morning ride a week ago and it was 99º when I got home, but Phil went up Peavine to get 10 more miles in.
I was exhausted and done with the heat.

13655F7F-AB5F-4DB8-876D-18306A738675.JPG

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It seems if I start when it's a bit cooler I can do into the 90s because I don't have a choice if I want to get home. Doesn't mean I like it...

I voted +85 because I probably won't start if it's hotter than that.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Too many variables to answer, how exposed the trails are being one of them. In general, I'd say above 85 with sun over head is too stinkin' hot. But, I also work really hard when I ride with my HR pushing into anaerobic zones regularly, so my heat tolerance is pretty low.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
All I can tell you is that the Seattle area is very sensitive to the weather. You get a dusting of snow in winter and school is canceled for two weeks plus everyone parks their cars at the side of the road and walks home.

This week we have a heat wave and every outdoor activity is canceled plus folks are panic shopping for ice, water, fans ... etc. In my case my weekend MTB clinic was canceled and my sons MTB camp was canceled too. What is really crazy is our neighbors who have a boat decided not to take it out because it is too hot!

Maybe it is just me but I think that folks in the Seattle area over react to the weather.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think air quality plays into it also. We got spoiled by nice temps living near the coast for 40 years. Generally, the air quality is pretty good but when the winds switch, watch out. Suddenly outside is unbearable. That’s another thing we loved about Reno- the air is super clean! It makes the heat more bearable. Breathing is not over rated!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay okay okay.... poll is flawed and there are variables, so I've added a poll choice.

In true fashion...It's complicated

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s another thing we loved about Reno- the air is super clean! It makes the heat more bearable. Breathing is not over rated!
Your time will come. Wait until we get the inversion in winter. You can't see the valley from Mt. Rose. Where you're at may be up just far enough to avoid the smog.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been known to ride (road) when it's 100 degrees F out. That's at the end of the ride if I started too late. When I ride on the road, I don't notice the heat so much unless I am climbing or I stop. Mountain biking's different though (at least for me).

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Rode in the 90's with high humidity today. Wouldn't have left the house if I weren't riding an ebike. Nice to be able to sit and just spin up a hill if you're feeling overheated. Should have taken some pictures. Rocks were soaked with sweat.