• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When your dog is being mocked by critters in your yard

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is Sadie once she sees a squirre.
6D653499-013E-4744-B9EE-6CA8BC3EAA69.jpeg
2670FD4A-3DF0-4CCA-A80F-62C17D406B03.jpeg
B24ECBAE-C916-43A4-A0C1-2140BC284C31.jpeg
7EF00531-CD36-41A3-8C19-93F0DDECBAF1.jpeg

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
All my Corrie has to chase off are birds and pigeons. But she does it with considerable gusto, especially when they're already away before she's gone 2 steps.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Ordinarily I don't bother the animals on my place...but those Rock Chucks become over populated in the pastures. Time to thin the herd.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We had a Jack in the area that discovered a chicken wired enclosure full of hens. I watched it climb up and over the 6+ foot fence, grab a chicken, kill it and climb back over with it in it's mouth! Of course after that it was back again for more... until the dog's owner was alerted to the goings on. They are very intelligent dogs!
I’m going to have to post a video of our Jack using buttons to speak and express herself. She even using them to ask questions.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have ground squirrels that tunnel everywhere and mess up our dry laid rock walls.
We also have a .410 double barrel.
They learn quite quickly.
If you recall from the sheltering in place projects thread, we did a significant amount of work on a patio in our yard that the squirrels were undermining with their little freeways underground.
Not a fan of ground squirrels.

Ordinarily I don't bother the animals on my place...but those Rock Chucks become over populated in the pastures. Time to thin the herd.
When I lived on a section in the country I left most critters alone unless they were causing some kind of damage to our house or barn.
These ground squirrels are destructive.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Between @Philpug keeping the pellet gun handy and Gypsy stalking squirrel mockery......
Gypsy Squirrel.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Olli got so conditioned to being unable to catch the squirrels in the backyard that he just gave up and stared at them. I think with a sigh or two. But in other places, he would go nuts about squirrels; I assume he figured he had a chance elsewhere. It was kind of an interesting view into dog psyche, but a little depressing. :roflmao:
I'm confident that Olli could have caught them.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
We have suburban deer and coyotes. Whenever I see one of those “missing cat” signs posted somewhere I am pretty sure they were coyote feed and lost the battle. Keep an eye on your pets. At least we don’t have a lion walking around.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They don't just tunnel, they climb gutters and chew through ridge vents and store 37,452lbs of maple and pine seeds in attics too.
When I was growing up we had two black walnut trees in the yard. Beautiful trees but huge squirrel attraction and those.
I remember once when a red squirrel chewed through the aluminum siding and made a nest in the attic.
:nono:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
There have been a bunch of ground squirrels and bunnies in the yard for Gypsy to chase. Last summer she caught a couple squirrels and a bunny but has yet to catch one this spring.
There is a squirrel hole in the corner of our yard that appears to be the squirrel freeway, which keeps Gypsy pretty busy.
View attachment 133615
Lately the squirrels have been coming out of the hole and chirping at Gypsy, almost mocking her, "I bet you can't get me!" @Wendy has been here the past few weeks to witness this mocking.

While I was doing yard work this morning I heard the chirping of a squirrel and looked up to see it come out of the hole, chirp until it got Gypsy's attention then rush back into the hole while Gypsy was running up the hill.
View attachment 133612
This is Gypsy hiding behind a rock to lull the squirrel into her lair.
I'm pretty confident that its only a matter of time before Gypsy wins this battle of the back yard critters.
View attachment 133613

I'm not sure why I'm sharing this other than to share some of what has been entertaining us when we're not skiing or hiking.

I dont know. Squirrels are pretty squirrelly.

:roflmao:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Had 2 OLD dogs and a really mean neighbor cat (it took an eye out of our cat in a cat fight) who loved to come over and taunt our dogs. Cat knew they were slow to get up and it had nothing to fear. Time went by and both dogs passed. The cat got bolder and bolder in the yard.
One day the cat came over the fence and walked toward the open slider; this was a few days after Daisy adopted us. Daisy was a year old, 80 pound, Blue Tick Hound, all muscle and could move at near lightspeed. Dog thought that cat shouldn't be there and blew through the door at full tilt. Cat made the fence ahead of Daisy by a good 6 inches. Very surprised cat, never came back in the yard though.
Daisy was extremely social with other animals unless they intruded. Racoons were not welcome in her yard. Squirrels were cool they did not mess with her stuff. She even treed a cougar back there one day. Daisy did not allow taunting.

Great dog, miss her a lot.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On the plus side, we’ve had a number of walnut tree starts that we dig up and put in pots for sale along with other plants Shamora is propagating. All from squirrels burying nuts.
On the minus side, the squirrels get to walnuts before we can and my supply of them is running low.

We’ve got some native Douglas red squirrels which are smaller and far less destructive. The larger grey squirrels are invasive,

Last edited:

Sponsor