• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When your dog is being mocked by critters in your yard

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oscar and the neighbor cat caught a snake. I was displeased because snakes get rodents, but they were quite pleased and then not sure what to do with said snake.
F0C8CCBF-7043-4752-A530-D9E78B24753B.jpeg

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On the plus side, we’ve had a number of walnut tree starts that we dig up and put in pots for sale along with other plants Shamora is propagating. All from squirrels burying nuts.
On the minus side, the squirrels get to walnuts before we can and my supply of them is running low.

We’ve got some native Douglas red squirrels which are smaller and far less destructive. The larger grey squirrels are invasive,
We've got a gigantic black walnut tree in the back year but I don't think I've ever seen a tree start. Maybe ours are defective. From the chestnut tree across the street, though, we get a bunch every year. We nurtured one of those into a tree that we planted a few years ago. Because one messy tree throwing down nuts isn't enough . . .

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
We've got a gigantic black walnut tree in the back year but I don't think I've ever seen a tree start. Maybe ours are defective. From the chestnut tree across the street, though, we get a bunch every year. We nurtured one of those into a tree that we planted a few years ago. Because one messy tree throwing down nuts isn't enough . . .
Just don't get an avocado tree. Never seen such a mess. Former owners planted it. Luckily I think the cold mostly killed it so I have an excuse to remove the whole thing.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We got a total of 4 squirrels in the past week. They keep coming and coming......

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Squirrels have not been as big of a deal this summer, but bunnies have been. They are tearing up my lawn, but Gypsy has been doing her job.
The good news is, she has caught 7 bunnies so far.
The bad news is, she brings them into the house to give them to us.

This morning I was on the patio so it wasn't so bad when she brought it to me out there.
Gypsy bunny.jpeg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Long ago while raising kids we had Vanna White, a very petite little pure white cat. She was a stone-cold killer; she would catch hummingbirds.
The kids got in trouble for not cleaning their toys up in their bedrooms. Can you imagine? Mom goes in to do the inspection and sees something under a bed; can't fool Mom by stuffing your stuff there. She reaches down ready to unleash the wrath of Mom and comes out with a still warm dead bird. That was the end of that inspection tour.
Cat saves kids.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
None of my dogs have been great hunters. They love to chase but are not interested in actually catching. I had a “killer” cat though. If I didn’t “tie down” my bed… I got the grossest gifts! Eventually, she realized BBQ food was easy and would steal from neighbor’s cookouts! That was embarrassing but less messy

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Squirrels have not been as big of a deal this summer, but bunnies have been. They are tearing up my lawn, but Gypsy has been doing her job.
The good news is, she has caught 7 bunnies so far.
The bad news is, she brings them into the house to give them to us.

This morning I was on the patio so it wasn't so bad when she brought it to me out there.
View attachment 172307
My yard looks like a war zone.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My yard looks like a war zone.
View attachment 172405
Interesting that Gypsy doesn't seem to be much of a digger.
We did have a guest doggie here for a month that loved to dig.
Still finding things to fix in the yard from her.

IMG_1439.jpeg
IMG_1457.jpeg

Gypsy keeps stalking the shed for bunny movement
IMG_1456.jpeg

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Call little bunnies Owl food. They cry like a human baby when caught by the aerial night hunters. We had Mini Pins for years that loved to eat rabbit organs and meat. A real special treat in their world. The 12 year old Maltese that we just rescued was no teeth so she can chase the bunnies but is no real threat.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does Gypsy miss her buddy?

Yes and no. Yes when we are not at home, they kept each other occupied. No when we are here, she can keep 100% of her focus on us.
Pretty much what Phil said.
When Kaya moved to Elko, Gypsy allowed herself to relax and slept a lot. But when we leave the house to run errands and she's home alone, she sobs and howls in the garage. Such separation anxiety. She didn't do that at all when Kaya was here because they kept each other busy.

The good thing is that she's not destructive, but she sure gets sad when left home alone.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online