• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where are you skiing this winter?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For this season I've got a pretty full plate, and hope to make it a very full plate... I have trips to Keystone, Breckenridge, Taos, and Palisades Tahoe. And I may hit Diamond Peak, Mount Rose, Copper, A-Basin, Vail, or Beaver Creek on those trips too.

Locally I'm likely to get to Timberline (WV), and possibly some places in VA or PA. And hoping to get some days in NE, including the Gathering, but that's less certain.

As far as places I keep returning to... This will be my 6th trip to Taos this year... and Aspen is a place I could always go back to though I'm not planning on it this year. And I've been going to Colorado a lot and bought a condo at Keystone this past summer, so I'll be there more frequently. So, yes, there are places I keep going back to!

But I do set an annual goal to get to 2 new places a year too... This year Keystone will be new. And if I get to any of Mount Rose, Diamond Peak, Jay Peak, or Owl's Head, those would be new too.

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With three passes on my lanyard it will be a busy season for me too. I’ll be making regular trips to Cannon on the weekends. As for big trips I’m headed to Aspen/Snowmass for a week in February, and central British Columbia in late January for a week. Closer to home I’m doing a mid-week IKON at Sugarbush, a long weekend at Smuggs, hopefully a long IKON weekend at Sugarloaf, and some late season at Loon. Also trying to pull together an Indy Pass tour that’ll get me back to Jay, Bolton, Magic, Waterville, Black, and Pats Peak. Still need to see if any of this can align with the SkiTalk trip to the Eastern Townships. Tuesdays evenings I’m racing on the fastest 198’ in downtown Manchester at McIntyre.

Almost forgot my nephew is at Pico Ski Club in U12 and now travels to all the VARA clubs not just central-VT so I'll be chasing him around a bit too.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We rent the same condo at Sugarbush, VT every Christmas - NYE.

Been going to Jackson Hole for a week every February since 2020... well missed 21 due to the pandemic.

Also like to enjoy a leisurely spring weekend at Killington around mid May.

Other that those areas we tend to spread our skiing around and love exploring new areas as well as visiting old favorites. Skiing Snowbird and Alta this season, haven't been since the last Gathering there.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Outside of the local skiing in PA we have a 5 day trip and another long weekend setup for Killington. There will hopefully be one or two other long weekend trips to VT. Heading to Colorado for a week in March. Right now we plan to spend 3 or 4 days at Aspen/Snowmass. We’re going to add some days to the front or backend of that trip at probably at A-Basin, Copper or Winter Park.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Coming off of some health issues so it might be Jiminy Peak only for me. (up and down/up and down) - I can always go straight!

If I do ok at Jiminy then Bromley, Magic and I'd like to try Pico since it's been a while ("66 or so).

Going to big mountains like Sugarbush, Killington or Mad River would be a waste with my physical condition.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Super excited to head back to Serre Chevalier this winter for a week. My fifth time now.

Got me thinking, is there a place you always end up always going back to? Or do you prefer testing out new places?
Both.

Interesting question, as the answers can be very different depending upon whether one always has to travel for a ski holiday (we call them vacations on this side of the pond), or one lives near some skiing mountains. If you live near a decent mountain, that’s probably where you’d do most of your skiing. As you appear to reside in the UK, you’re going to travel and spend a week there, and I imagine the calculus changes with preferences for accommodations, food, culture, ease of travel, preferences for après and nightlife, and what terrain you like to ski.

In my case, I live within a 2 hour drive to Alpental/Snoqualmie Summit, Stevens and Baker, and 2 1/2 hours to Crystal. 3 to Mission Ridge. Many years that’s the extent of where I would travel to ski. Decidedly not destination resorts, great terrain, not necessarily great snow, though usually lots of it. Great off piste, with limited groomers that don’t stay groomed very long.

I am also within a days drive to Whistler or Sun Peaks (each of those 4-5 hours), Revelstoke, Red Mt, Bachelor, Sun Valley, Schweitzer and others. I do like to try out new resorts as well as return to places I like.

This year, I have an early season (Dec 9-11) at Sun Peaks, and two weeks later will be at Sun Peaks over Xmas. Then Taos (for the first time) in early Feb (the one trip for which I’m flying), then Tahoe in early March. Actually that is a road trip that will have a stop at Sun Valley, a few days at Snowbasin with another ski camp, and a few days to play at one or two other SLC area resorts before driving to Reno for the SkiTalk Gathering. BTW the Gatherings are the only time I stay in one place for a week.

In between the trips I’ll split my time between Stevens and Alpental.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pass at Sugar Bowl this season, so will be there more than I have been in the past. Always return to Alpine Meadows, and also Palisades. Hope to make it to Mammoth, but that’s not planned yet. Would also love to get to Kirkwood (haven’t been in a few years).

Going back to Utah in late February, early March (combine visiting daughter and skiing).

Would also like to go to Sun Valley, Grand Targhee, and some of the Utah resorts I have not been to. We’ll see how the season plays out!

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
First season without the Ski Utah Silver Pass and I have some anxiety about having to limit my choices.

I bought Alta, Deer Valley and Powder Mt. this year.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Going some place more than 20 minutes from my house would be just a hassle. I can make up my mind to go and just be there as opposed to elaborate planning. Don't even need to carry skis and poles, they are in the locker waiting. A season pass means it's all paid for already. If it's a bad day, I just leave.

Easy choice to stay with my local mountain. I skied Camelback for 27 years. I can tolerate boredom. I'm only on season 21 here.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mostly at home in Whitefish, and a big day trip planned for nearby Blacktail. Ha ha!

Used to head to JH pretty darn near every winter since about 1972, but probably snuck in my last visit in January 2020 before the shit hit the fan. Just not my cup of tea anymore.

Sun Valley has become a regular thing as Mrs. K and I both love it for so many reasons. We've got friends there, and we usually regroup with other (very old) friends from afar, too. Nothing like a week's worth of lift tickets that cost as much as our home mtn season pass. :geek:

NEW PLACE: Well, Fernie isn't even two hours away now, so I might sneak up there for a day and crash @Turoa Kiwi's trip. His jokes are so good, he'd have to be fun to share a few runs with!

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
As long as my right knee holds out..... I've got the Cooper pass for wherever work randomly happens to send me.
A week in Austria in February. Locally a mix of NH Resident Wednesdays at Cannon, the No Boundaries pass tix at Tenney, Abram and Granite Gorge, the Cooper pass days at Whaleback and maybe some random days at Loon, Waterville and Burke.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back to the EpicLocal pass this year (Ikon last year) so will be mostly at Keystone, Breck, Vail and Beaver Creek with a trip or two to Crested Butte. Would be happy to ski with other Pugskiers.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm not one to try new places all the time. I've local skiing in CT so Otis and Butternut and then we've a condo at Magic in Southern Vermont so this means magic, Bromley, Stratton, pico and Killington.

Last year I went to belleayre and Windham for the first time and had a blast. I finally went to pico so learned about that awesomeness.

I love the eastern townships in Canada (Orford, Sutton and Owls head). Would love to get to Sugarbush again also.

One of my friends has a pass at Jiminy so I plan to meet him there. I've never skied there.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not one to try new places all the time. I've local skiing in CT so Otis and Butternut and then we've a condo at Magic in Southern Vermont so this means magic, Bromley, Stratton, pico and Killington.

Last year I went to belleayre and Windham for the first time and had a blast. I finally went to pico so learned about that awesomeness.

I love the eastern townships in Canada (Orford, Sutton and Owls head). Would love to get to Sugarbush again also.

One of my friends has a pass at Jiminy so I plan to meet him there. I've never skied there.
If u went all the way down to the Catskills…you should try Plattekill….it fits right in the same model as the places u seem to like….plus it has a great bar.

Even_Stevens

Getting on the lift
Skier
Since my wife and I have both Epic and Ikon passes this year:

- Stevens Pass (closest thing to a home mountain)
- Crystal Mountain
- Alpental/Snoqualmie (1 hr door to door, Ikon days)
- Mount Baker (no pass; love the runs off C6 with fresh powder though)
- Niseko (trip planned to Hokkaido in Feb)
- Possibly Alyeska? Ikon; family in Anchorage
- Possibly Mammoth for spring skiing after the Washington resorts close for the season

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January