• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where do ski ski shops get their rental skis?

GinBuck

What's a mogul?
Skier
Just curious. Is it as simple as going through a catalog and picking out what they want? Or is there is some mysterious B2B leasing company out there that supplies shops their rental ski? Anybody out there familiar with the business?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just curious. Is it as simple as going through a catalog and picking out what they want? Or is there is some mysterious B2B leasing company out there that supplies shops their rental ski? Anybody out there familiar with the business?
Most buy from the manufacturers along with their retail orders. Some smaller rental shops might buy the skis that larger shops are turning over.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you ever get your hands on a manufacturers catalog - there is a whole section in the back. Skis, boots, binding, poles....
Have those gone the way (away) of most other print materials?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The bigger, more interesting question is who buys the rental fleets at the end of a season or the end of a second season of ski shop rentals? A lot of individual skiers buy the used demo skis, but the actual low end standard rentals...where do they end up?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A lot of individual skiers buy the used demo skis, but the actual low end standard rentals...where do they end up?
Many times they are purchasing by smaller mom & pop rental shops, the ones you see on mountain access roads with signs like RENT HERE $25. Other times they are purchased and sent to China or developing ski nations.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The bigger, more interesting question is who buys the rental fleets at the end of a season or the end of a second season of ski shop rentals? A lot of individual skiers buy the used demo skis, but the actual low end standard rentals...where do they end up?
It's a good question - presumably given skier numbers a lot of the stock ends up being scrapped?

Maybe as Phil indicates there is just a really long tail dropping down 2 or 3 tiers of rental store/market

Possibly scrapping comes with some recycling of bindings but then AIUI many rental models come with easy to adjust rail systems and shops aren't geared up to mass remounts?

The other relevant point to make is the Special Make Up nature of rental fleet models which might be cosmetically similar or identical to a retail model but have different properties like thicker heavier edges or tip and tail bumpers or even cheaper lay up.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Have those gone the way (away) of most other print materials?
Some have gone electronically, others still print.
Along with what others have said above, I've seen entire fleets end up in large ski swaps...SUPER cheap.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I imagine there is good coin in rental fleets and they probably have dedicated sales people working with resorts..

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At one resort where a few of the group were renting, and were interested in possibly purchasing them, were told that they had already been sold to some resorts in South America. At the end of the season, they pack them into containers and ship them south

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Epic Moutain sports is a Vail Resorts store. Many of the rental skis are sold there. Christys Sports also sell their rental fleet during their big sale. Some are online. We were out looking at them last week. Lots good pricing at Christys.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Epic Moutain sports is a Vail Resorts store. Many of the rental skis are sold there. Christys Sports also sell their rental fleet during their big sale. Some are online. We were out looking at them last week. Lots good pricing at Christys.
No serious skier or even half serious skier buys standard rental skis as they are designed to be easy to initiate a turn but have little in the way of stability at speed. Used demo skis are a totally different animal, though.

When I worked at a on mountain demo centre I did my best to only put first time or first season skiers on standard rentals.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a whole secondary market out there. Play It Again stores and the like will purchase directly or there are secondary vendors that will purchase them and then sell to these stores.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some have gone electronically, others still print.
I still like and use the print versions for when creating product pages.
Along with what others have said above, I've seen entire fleets end up in large ski swaps...SUPER cheap.
Usually out of their AOR (Area of Retail) smart shops do not want to canabalize their own customers

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually out of their AOR (Area of Retail) smart shops do not want to canabalize their own customers
I've seen this more in the large swaps around my area (normally school or town-wide swaps). Not sure who actually owns the inventory.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
No serious skier or even half serious skier buys standard rental skis as they are designed to be easy to initiate a turn but have little in the way of stability at speed. Used demo skis are a totally different animal, though.

When I worked at a on mountain demo centre I did my best to only put first time or first season skiers on standard rentals.
Great deals for first time buyers and people who have very little experience and looking for an economical way to get into the sport. They have great deals on demos as well.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Many times they are purchasing by smaller mom & pop rental shops, the ones you see on mountain access roads with signs like RENT HERE $25. Other times they are purchased and sent to China or developing ski nations.
I'd pay to have my recently retired Titans sent to Kazakstan.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier

Lots of new skiers buy used rental/lease skis at ski swaps. Usually it is cheaper in the long run than renting or leasing for the season. And then when they outgrow them, they sell them at the swap to some other beginner skier.