• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where Instructors go Wrong

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Actually, the separation of the Maxwell tensor into magnetism and electricity depends on your reference frame.

Well, if we are going to really go into it gravity is not a force according to General Relativity.

Reactions: mdf

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hah. The resistance to pole length is unbelievable. Everyone apparently learns at birth about the right angle arm standing upright.
Go outside this length thinking and most are convinced you’re insane.

I've got one friend who solicited a bit of advice and I just simply offered your poles are too long as I didn't really want to get into a whole amateur analysis with him. To this day he claims it changed his life.

Re the rest

Turn offs -

Excessive positivity
Excessive science
Excessive time not actually skiing
Stupid human one footed drills
Not being part of a multiday group programme at or around my level
Competitive culture - I'll just disengage or disrupt rather than trying to beat someone else

Works for me-
Run and gun style on the move tuition
Telling me I suck but in a banterish way while giving me the next "how to fix"
Stretching me a bit but within safe limits

Last edited:

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Turn offs -

Stupid human one footed drills
Sorry, but those are really important. You have no true idea what balance issues you may have without doing those. But hearing you loud and clear. Maybe the best thing in a lesson is to do those briefly for assessment purposes, then go patiently through the elements and purposes of one good balance exercise, then pass on to something else. Leave the repetition for homework.

Dedicated students need to do that homework. There's no way that students can get full benefit from the number of repetitions possible in the space of one class, even if they had the patience to devote a whole class to one exercise or progression. Many days of focused practice are what's needed.

James

Out There
Instructor
I've got one friend who solicited a bit of advice and I just simply offered your poles are too long as I didn't really want to get into a whole amateur analysis with him. To this day he claims it changed his life.
Lol. You’re a hypnotist.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Video JF of you doing the same?
Lol, I used to try but I need my poles which BTW are probably too long ogwink
l leave that one for the kids nowadays

EDIT: Found one. Not a drill but a real life necessity after some unintentional airtime & a bad crash ;)

That's my other ski buried in the snow at the bottom of the video frame. I am moaning cuz my leg is on fire!

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah I get the one footed stuff is really important but it's not to me. One ski terrifies me that I'll rip knee ligaments apart if I plant the other foot and having a dead weight ski is unwieldy or unbalancing to lift before even starting the drill.

So I'll pass thanks. If you can't find a way to teach me without that I'm not interested.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah I get the one footed stuff is really important but it's not to me. One ski terrifies me that I'll rip knee ligaments apart if I plant the other foot and having a dead weight ski is unwieldy or unbalancing to lift before even starting the drill.

So I'll pass thanks. If you can't find a way to teach me without that I'm not interested.
How about just the tip, LOL? Try it, you might like it.

TS
pushgears

pushgears

Putting on skis
Skier
Lack of race style training. I have no interest in being a racer, but I know the clock doesn't lie. What better way to improve fundamental technique than to take multiple runs through a short race course, it only needs to be a half dozen easy turns, trying to improve ones time? Mixing this with a bunch of coaching and video analysis would cut through a lot of the BS and get to the heart of what needs to be improved with your skiing.
Great suggestion! The closest I ever came to this experiencing this effective drill was a “human slalom” in which students rotated through skiing and being the actual “gates”. Other than that, I’ve never seen the use of race training for non-racers.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
How about just the tip, LOL? Try it, you might like it.

I know that you're writing in jest but there is a serious point here. I REALLY don't like that stuff and it doesn't matter if drilling it would turn me into a Bode Miller (it wouldn't) I still won't do it. So what does that do to my learning experience?

Creates a barrier or resentment that I landed an instructor that wanted to do those balance drills again or even has me skiing out of class and asking for a refund. By all means teach me to improve my balance or relative weighting but by doing things I can do with both skis still on the ground. At least I'm telling you. The majority of people who have things forced on them in a lesson that they really don't like probably smile nicely say "great" when asked then just never take a lesson ever again.

4ster

Instructor
- Lack of race style training

Great suggestion! The closest I ever came to this experiencing this effective drill was a “human slalom” in which students rotated through skiing and being the actual “gates”. Other than that, I’ve never seen the use of race training for non-racers.
Sadly, I don’t believe racing is even a part of PSIA certification in most if not all divisions anymore.
During my time teaching we almost always had gates available. From a daily practice course on an easy Blue run in the bamboo days to a simple brush course on the beginner hill for the tykes or anyone else who wanted to give it a go. For awhile we even included NASTAR runs in the cost of the lesson.
Gates, stubbies & brushes can be utilized in so many ways for skier development, it is sad that it is becoming a lost art.

You absolutely should not be asked to do any drill or ski any terrain you are not comfortable with. It should be a preface to any lesson that the instructor asks to be made aware if students feel uncomfortable with any situation. The instructor should also ask if anyone has any health or physical limitations.
There is always an alternative, even to the almighty 1-ski drills ;) .

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I know that you're writing in jest but there is a serious point here. I REALLY don't like that stuff and it doesn't matter if drilling it would turn me into a Bode Miller (it wouldn't) I still won't do it. So what does that do to my learning experience?

Creates a barrier or resentment that I landed an instructor that wanted to do those balance drills again or even has me skiing out of class and asking for a refund. By all means teach me to improve my balance or relative weighting but by doing things I can do with both skis still on the ground. At least I'm telling you. The majority of people who have things forced on them in a lesson that they really don't like probably smile nicely say "great" when asked then just never take a lesson ever again.
I agree 100% with the post that @4ster made just above. Just to elaborate, the PSIA method of teaching sees a lesson as a partnership between the student and the instructor. The instructor needs to be sensitive, cognizant, and strategic to the wants, desires, and limitations of their student. The student should also attempt to communicate those same to the instructor. It's the instructor's job to find a way to give the student what they want and need in a manner that helps them achieve their goals. This can be a lot more challenging in a group lesson environment!

Mike

parkrat

Booting up
Skier

Part of this gets into why high intermediate to advanced adults take lessons to begin with. Some are serious about improving their skiing technique, but equally as many may be in it for a guided tour of the mountain, to skip lift lines, or enjoy the social aspects of skiing with a group.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
^ Yebbut if I take a lesson I don't do it for the other stuff - it's because I want too work on something or some expert eyes on me for a bit of a tune up. Not wanting to be ritually humilated to ensure I am appropriately humble with the ski gods who are deigning to spare some of their time with me is part of it. If you want me to recognise my balance sucks I can do it far cheaper by standing on one foot while trying to put a sock on.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Chairlift-shadow slalom is a lot of fun if you have a place where the layout works. You can use the ones coming towards you or the ones going away.

Ski indoors and you can have a fun game of Poma slalom. It's usually where the only decent snow is piled up. Not actually in the up track but definitely in the return lane.

4ster

Instructor
^ Yebbut if I take a lesson I don't do it for the other stuff - it's because I want too work on something or some expert eyes on me for a bit of a tune up. Not wanting to be ritually humilated to ensure I am appropriately humble with the ski gods who are deigning to spare some of their time with me is part of it. If you want me to recognise my balance sucks I can do it far cheaper by standing on one foot while trying to put a sock on.
Empathy should be high on the criteria list for hiring instructors.
Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference, that is, the capacity to place oneself in another's position.

Sponsor

Staff online