• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where to go spring skiing?

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you were going a little later (i.e. early June), I'd agree with the earlier poster about the Beartooth Pass (fly into BZN or BIL), with one caveat: it's really easy to get skunked at elevation when you only have a two-day or three-day window. I'd expect that to be true in most places with good snow late Spring / early Summer. If you want guided skiing in that area, I'd recommend contacting the Beartooth Mountain Guides (website at http://www.beartoothguides.com/winter ).

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, guess I start thinking of next year. Our shiny new mountaineering harnesses, crampons and axes will have to gather dust. Still , at least I have the gear now, rahter than waiting untill the last minute.

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Is early April (1st - 8th) too late to ski in Vail? How about Beaver Creek?

Reason for asking: friend can get a time share exchange from April 1st to 8th. I am considering to take it.

I have a Epic Local pass and will likely to stick w/ Epic resorts only next season.

Thanks in advance for your input.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Is early April (1st - 8th) too late to ski in Vail? How about Beaver Creek?

Reason for asking: friend can get a time share exchange from April 1st to 8th. I am considering to take it.

I have a Epic Local pass and will likely to stick w/ Epic resorts only next season.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Depends on the year but you should be fine in Vail. When I lived in Vail they were open until the 1st of May.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
As others have suggested... PNW. I can't recommend the Mt Baker area, and the North Cascades, enough. That being said, if going for a week, the weather may shut you down. However April is the better month. May is typically much wetter. That area is the most heavily glaciated area in the lower 48, and the BC experience is unlike anything in the Lower 48. In April the crevasses filled in, and snowpack is typically uber stable.

If interested:
  • Fly into Seatac.
  • Rent a 4WD / higher ground clearance. An Outback may work, but plan on bottoming out a bit.
  • Stay in Glacier, WA - a little town of 200 on the Mt Baker HWY.
  • Contact Dan at Mt Baker Lodging. Rent something in Snowline - that will put you closest to snow.
  • Contact the guys at Glacier Ski Shop prior. See if someone would be willing to guide you / show you the local's routes.
  • Buy them dinner at Milano's. Be prepared for an awesome meal.
  • Great little food store in nearby Maple Falls.
  • Drive up Glacier Creek Rd. You should be able to drive up most of the way in later April. Tour around Mt Baker. It can be as challenging, or chill as you want.
  • Drive up to the upper parking lot of Mt Baker Ski area. Lap the Shuksan arm. Same as above.
  • Dream about skiing Mt. Shuksan. It is an epic. You will want a guide.
  • If someone is guiding you, and has a sled, all of the terrain up Canyon Creek Rd and Twin Lakes Rd is fair game. One local, who maybe willing to guide you, has a cabin up there. It is amazing skiing. He is a world-class skier. He is careful and prudent. The guys at the ski shop will know.
201104066342-Edit-2-2.jpg

I believe that this photo was in April - still plenty of snow.

Another shitty morning.jpg

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Depends on the year but you should be fine in Vail. When I lived in Vail they were open until the 1st of May.
Thanks. Timeshare booked for 1st week of April in Vail. May extend stay extra week for Breck. If it will be too slushy there, I can go to A-basin or Keystone, assume they will still be open.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Thanks. Timeshare booked for 1st week of April in Vail. May extend stay extra week for Breck. If it will be too slushy there, I can go to A-basin or Keystone, assume they will still be open.
Our April trip to SLC was just changed to Breck with a day or 2 at Vail. It can be icey in the morning and can get soft in the late afternoon so chase the magic corn & sun as it softens up.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Analisa, :roflmao:, although we did talk about glacier travel and watch a movie, now, they want to practice crevasse rescues, and Prussiking.
Off topic, I took them ice climbing for the first time recently.
View attachment 89146

@Pako , funny, I also did one day of my avalanche course in Grizzly Gulch.
I have toured in the Wasatch several times now with John Lemnotis, an AMGA splitboard guide, great guide.

Jackson Hole is change planes in SLC, I have looked at it and it’s a hard one to do in a short trip.

@Spooky , Yes, San Juan’s seem beautiful , and full of options, but hard to get to, as far as I know there are no direct flights(even places like Aspen and Steamboat only have direct flights once or twice a week).

i wish I had two weeks for a road trip, there are so many great places out there.
I have to say that crevasse rescue is iffy.

There are cases where it's impossible to rescue people from crevasses, not to speak of the injury risk.

And a minimum of 3 strong people are needed, one to fall and the other 2 to rescue.

Don't underestimate the crevasse risk.

Sponsor