• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have a mountain collective and a Powder Alliance pass. OIriginally thought I would take off through Mt. down to Colo. over to Utah etc. but won't drive that far for groomer runs and so so variable off piste. Really want to powder ski.

Thinking now, down to Tahoe, Mammoth, Ariz and NM. Anyone have any comments? Keeping a close eye on weather, stopped snowing up here, had good to great powder skiing around Christmas but only groomers now so thinking of taking off. I am completelyl flexible time and direction wise.

Ideas, input, comments appreciated. Have option of Truck/camper, truck or fly and ski so advice/weather input appreciated.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tahoe is skiing pretty good right now plus some more wester coming in this week. [casts bait] Plus, I have some skis that could use some more reviews. [/casts bait]

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Just check the weather and follow the snow. Good thing about Tahoe now that there's a nice base is if it gets a little warmer and sunny, things off piste soften nicely and short of actual powder it's a lot of fun.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yep, Tahoe is definitely on my radar. Mammoth also. anyone around with comments on Mammoth and Ariz and NM ?

Tahoe is skiing pretty good right now plus some more wester coming in this week. [casts bait] Plus, I have some skis that could use some more reviews. [/casts bait]

Just check the weather and follow the snow. Good thing about Tahoe now that there's a nice base is if it gets a little warmer and sunny, things off piste soften nicely and short of actual powder it's a lot of fun.

Other than a lot of driving (Taos?) looking forward to trip. Just need to decide (based on snow and hopefully chances for some powder) on which way to go/start etc.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
If you go by weather report that is the safe way to get pow. If you book more than a week ahead of time you're stuck with the conditions as they exist.

What's more important? Pow or seeing a new area?

For me, I can ski a sledding hill if there is fresh snow.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Hi Pete,

I've been in Taos for a few days and it's been really good with plenty of fresh. The hill is in great shape but the forecast for the coming week looks pretty bluebird. If you do end up here, give me a shout :)

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Utah has good snow on the ground. A storm might be coming later this week. If you want pow - wait till you see the winter storm warnings and then drive fast.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you go by weather report that is the safe way to get pow. If you book more than a week ahead of time you're stuck with the conditions as they exist.

What's more important? Pow or seeing a new area?

For me, I can ski a sledding hill if there is fresh snow.

Powder for this trip - have a new pair of Praxis I have to get in the smoke with. (ugh bad english)

Hi Pete,

I've been in Taos for a few days and it's been really good with plenty of fresh. The hill is in great shape but the forecast for the coming week looks pretty bluebird. If you do end up here, give me a shout :)

Will do. skied Taos a long time ago like say about 25 yrs ago.

Utah has good snow on the ground. A storm might be coming later this week. If you want pow - wait till you see the winter storm warnings and then drive fast.

Been watching the Utah posts and a little sparse, don't want to drive for thousands of miles without some powder on the other end of the drive. Looks like right now storms are going south, like Mammoth and south Ariz, NM. Just checked all the 10 day forecasts. We are supposed to get some snow this week so still waiting to get in the truck and GO.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Would be great to have you come visit @Pete in Idaho

This is a great page for those with the Mountain Collective to figure out where to go in the near future and to get a sense of where snow is forecast.

http://opensnow.com/region/mountaincollective
I hadn't seen that link for the Mountain Collective Pass forecast, and I go to Opensnow a fair bit. :thumb: Thanks for posting.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Wolf has 270 inches YTD, the most in the intermountain west. The off-road has been great since November 7 and the ski area was 100% open November 8. There is more to Colorado than I-70.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
p168i.gif

I think Tahoe is the answer?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Whatever happened to that New England trip?

NE is awful SO far this year, he should have done it last year. Maybe it would get better but why would any travel to ski granular groomers?

last year powdery tree would have been worth traveling for.

Sponsor