• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Where to ski @ Denver for those that have altitude sickness at Abasin?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing above 10,000 is noticeably harder. I remember panting like a caged animal at the top of Breck.

And waste the best part (and the only reason to be up high) by "get through" the less oxygenated part in a hurry, only to ski the lower elevation?

Most effective solution to eliminate panting at altitude is to stop breathing.
A more viable alternative is to ski softly and not tax your systems excessively.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I may try the Diamox for my wife. I do fine when skiing, but struggle with sleeping at night. Once I'm booting up, the adrenaline takes over.
Do you wake up out of breath all the time? If so, you have what I have- periodic breathing or Central Sleep Apneas. It usually kicks in around night 3. Apparently Diamox is supposed to help for this.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do you wake up out of breath all the time? If so, you have what I have- periodic breathing or Central Sleep Apneas. It usually kicks in around night 3. Apparently Diamox is supposed to help for this.

Last time I was out there I just couldn't get to bed at all. Took me hours. It was a mix of excitement and altitude I believe.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The panting wasn't from actual skiing.

Just getting off the lift and getting around the random clumps of people standing next to the unloading area was enough to do it.

Do things get better as the week progresses?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
FWIW, I have found "canned oxygen" has helped me in the past. Unfortunately it seems places where it may it be helpful don't sell it (as I found out at the 2018 Gathering...)

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Do things get better as the week progresses?
Yes. It usually takes 2-3 days to feel more or less "normal" skiing wise.

By week's end, I'd be just as good as on flat land, can hike as fast and as long.

The best part is coming back to sea level. It takes more than a week though, more like 10 days. I would be cruising up the hill on my bikes like the hill isn't there, leaving my buddies behind panting and puffing. :)

The longer I stay at altitude, the longer the benefit last too.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. It usually takes 2-3 days to feel more or less "normal" skiing wise.

By week's end, I'd be just as good as on flat land, can hike as fast and as long.

The best part is coming back to sea level. It takes more than a week though, more like 10 days. I would be cruising up the hill on my bikes like the hill isn't there, leaving my buddies behind panting and puffing. :)

The longer I stay at altitude, the longer the benefit last too.

That really good to hear.
I am a Taos skier. Often spent the season there. I have seen friend with this issue as they get older. Acclimation take longer as they one get older. Most of them do it in stages now. Lower altitude resorts to start off the season and work up to the high altitude resort as the season deepens.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
That really good to hear.
I am a Taos skier. Often spent the season there. I have seen friend with this issue as they get older. Acclimation take longer as they one get older. Most of them do it in stages now. Lower altitude resorts to start off the season and work up to the high altitude resort as the season deepens.
I'm not sure if I qualify as old (just turned 60). But I haven't noticed any changes yet.

I had a scary episode when I was still in my 30's. Has been cautious ever since. I have worked out ways to forestall true altitude sickness symptoms (headache, nauseous). When I fly in, I typically spend the first night at Denver. I tried to do the same even when I'm driving in. But this past summer, I sped through it, all the way from Nebraska to Silverthorne in one day! I was pleasantly surprised I only had minimal symptoms (a very mild headache, which was alleviated with a lot of water. Gone the next morning). But hiking the next day (afternoon) at 10,000' was hard work. Had to stop every 50 yards to let my heart rate drop back to under 100.

The lack of red blood cell for us flat landers can't be helped. It just takes time for the body to adjust. I can't say the adjustment period had changed noticeably yet. I remember panting like a dog just walking up some steps on my first visit to Santa Fe when I was in my 20's! Even back then at that age, it took a couple days for the symptom to go away.

Staying relatively fit helps. It sets the level of activity I "drop from" on first few days at altitude. Thanks to working from home, I was able to exercise regularly with a routine. So me current fitness level is probably better than I had been for quite a long while! I was able to bike/hike at a pedestrian level at Aspen on the second day of arrival. I couldn't climb hill for the life of me. But managed to puddling about the rail trail for something like 30-40 miles. Even managed to complete the bike loop around Lake Dillon (which has a long uphill section, albeit mild grade) on day 3, sucking air notwithstanding...

My friend living in Summit county for much of her adult life is contemplating moving down lower as she gets older (similar age as me). She said it takes longer for her to recover from hard effort, and worse from illness and injuries. I'm not sure that's altitude, or just getting old. I noticed similar age related effect even at sea level. :)

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure if I qualify as old (just turned 60). But I haven't noticed any changes yet.

I had a scary episode when I was still in my 30's. Has been cautious ever since. I have worked out ways to forestall true altitude sickness symptoms (headache, nauseous). When I fly in, I typically spend the first night at Denver. I tried to do the same even when I'm driving in. But this past summer, I sped through it, all the way from Nebraska to Silverthorne in one day! I was pleasantly surprised I only had minimal symptoms (a very mild headache, which was alleviated with a lot of water. Gone the next morning). But hiking the next day (afternoon) at 10,000' was hard work. Had to stop every 50 yards to let my heart rate drop back to under 100.

The lack of red blood cell for us flat landers can't be helped. It just takes time for the body to adjust. I can't say the adjustment period had changed noticeably yet. I remember panting like a dog just walking up some steps on my first visit to Santa Fe when I was in my 20's! Even back then at that age, it took a couple days for the symptom to go away.

Staying relatively fit helps. It sets the level of activity I "drop from" on first few days at altitude. Thanks to working from home, I was able to exercise regularly with a routine. So me current fitness level is probably better than I had been for quite a long while! I was able to bike/hike at a pedestrian level at Aspen on the second day of arrival. I couldn't climb hill for the life of me. But managed to puddling about the rail trail for something like 30-40 miles. Even managed to complete the bike loop around Lake Dillon (which has a long uphill section, albeit mild grade) on day 3, sucking air notwithstanding...

My friend living in Summit county for much of her adult life is contemplating moving down lower as she gets older (similar age as me). She said it takes longer for her to recover from hard effort, and worse from illness and injuries. I'm not sure that's altitude, or just getting old. I noticed similar age related effect even at sea level. :)

yup, I know getting old sucks. The alternative is not good. The degradation is real. I am 67. We can slow the degradation but not stop it completely without checking out.

The red blood sell thing is real. My SIL went home after a week in Taos. Had blood work done. Her doctor commented about her unusual high red blood cell count. After finding out she was sleeping at 9,500' and skiing the peak, he said that is pretty normal.

My crew usually take it easy the first few days. No hiking and/or alcohol. Been working out pretty good.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
For all the issues with altitude, I'm surprised Colorado became the premier ski destination in the US it is. I've never had a trip there were someone isn't adversely impacted (in addition to my lack of sleep).

Geographically (snow, terrain), there are definitely better choices. But alas, I guess Denver being the large metro that it is has contributed greatly to the number and size of the resorts that have been developed there.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
@Keys2Ski - wherever you go, hydrate really well the few days before traveling, and continue to do so upon arrival; I also try to avoid adult beverages on the way out, or the first day there. I do love my après beer, but do better if I wait until day 2.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Areas in the northern Rockies close to the Canadian border where latitude provides colder weather over altitude.
I think that's exactly WHY Colorado wins out. Equally good snow without the cold.

For the majority of population who aren't affected too much by the altitude, why put up with the cold when you can have sunshine and balmy weather?

As for Utah, it's equally well established, so you may argue the reverse of why Utah instead of Colorado...

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I think that's exactly WHY Colorado wins out. Equally good snow without the cold.

For the majority of population who aren't affected too much by the altitude, why put up with the cold when you can have sunshine and balmy weather?

As for Utah, it's equally well established, so you may argue the reverse of why Utah instead of Colorado...
What I meant is you need cold for snow. In Colorado, you get it from altitude. The Northern Rockies get it from latitude. With latitude, you don't need to worry about breathing difficulty.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
What I meant is you need cold for snow. In Colorado, you get it from altitude. The Northern Rockies get it from latitude. With latitude, you don't need to worry about breathing difficulty.
I get what you mean. But what I meant is you trade "possible" breathing difficulty with cold. Reality is, much of northern Rockies are much colder than Colorado. A lot of people can handle altitude better than they can handle cold. Most people can acclimatize to altitude quicker than they can "acclimatize" to extreme cold.

Personally, I think the weather vs. altitude equation favors Colorado. There's very good reason for Colorado being one of the US's "premier" ski destination.

Last edited:

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Keys2Ski - wherever you go, hydrate really well the few days before traveling, and continue to do so upon arrival; I also try to avoid adult beverages on the way out, or the first day there. I do love my après beer, but do better if I wait until day 2.

I really think Alcohol was a main reason my wife handled the altitude so poortly her last trip out there. We didn't know what we were doing, and as soon as we arrived at our house, which was at 10,500' on Copper Mtn, she started drinking wine. This time we'll avoid drinking the first 1-2 days.

I think driving into Denver is better than flying in for me anyway. You slowly climb up to 5,500' feet on the drive in where as when you fly you're just immediately in that altitude. Flying in kicked my butt way worse than when I've drove in.

Sponsor

Staff online