• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which base layer with heated socks?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How are people dealing with the interface between base layers and battery?

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use capri-length smart wool base layers and pull my socks up over the end of the base layers. A little bit of habit, since i started doing that before I had the Lenz app to adjust them and needed to physically be able to get at the batteries to turn them up or down, but I keep doing it because it prevents the bottom of the base layers from getting pulled out of shape by the batteries.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, that makes sense. My normal layering strategy is a pair of 3/4 compression tights with another layer on top, thin for warmer days, thick for colder days, and then my shell pants. The bottom of the second base layer is always tight, and previously I just folded them up a bit. But I can't double up over the batteries, too tight.

I was searching for pants that didn't have tight lower legs, and it was proving much more difficult than expected. I found some straight-leg fleece pants from LL Bean, but $99? I don't need that, just looser and not cotton and not too much going on around the waist (elastic, pockets, etc). But the other day I realized I should be looking in the men's department, they make a lot more joggers that have looser legs, even with wide elastic at the bottom, but I think it will work. Have a big box from STP with $15-$20 pants to try on.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You could always cut off the bottoms of your current base layers. OR cut the seam at the bottom so you can roll them up. But buying new things is much more satisfying.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I use a thicker boot cut base layer, in the past Ibex Woolies 2, and currently with my MCL injury in recover I’m using a Bracelayer thermal layer. Normally I use my insulated Patagonia ski pants over that, in the spring I use a shell. No interference with my Lenz socks.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You could always cut off the bottoms of your current base layers. OR cut the seam at the bottom so you can roll them up. But buying new things is much more satisfying.

I have done that before with layers that were too bunchy in my boot, and yes, I can do that, and I may end up doing that, but it ruins the layers for other uses. Which might be ok. But if I can find something else cheap, then I still have the original ones for other purposes. I could just learn to sew. Nah.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I use a thicker boot cut base layer, in the past Ibex Woolies 2, and currently with my MCL injury in recover I’m using a Bracelayer thermal layer. Normally I use my insulated Patagonia ski pants over that, in the spring I use a shell. No interference with my Lenz socks.
So boot cut as in short? Not as in flared? Am I the only person who is bothered by that gap between the top of the ski boot and the bottom of 3/4 pants? even if socks cover it? You can still feel a temp difference, a wind chill. It drives me nuts. That's why I wear multiple layers there.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So boot cut as in short? Not as in flared? Am I the only person who is bothered by that gap between the top of the ski boot and the bottom of 3/4 pants? even if socks cover it? You can still feel a temp difference, a wind chill. It drives me nuts. That's why I wear multiple layers there.
Correct, 3/4 length. I’ve never noticed an issue with any gap between boot top and base layer. :huh:
Maybe using the insulated ski pants helps.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I sew. I do repairs and modifications and stuff. I don't tell everyone. Theatre geek led to costume design and construction, which led to getting experience with industrial equipment at a futon store, then selling expensive sewing machines. Still have my Berninas (machine and serger).

Anybody in your area doing sewing and alterations? Should be pretty easy.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Update: the $14 sweats from STP are working out great. Cheaper than a tailor.