• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which Blossom Ski?

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I promised myself I’d demo first but wondering which Blossom ski would be best ”average day Vermont” ski for me. I’m solid “expert” skier, 5’11” and 175 lbs who favors off-piste, moguls, but low-tide season brings lots of hard, fast groomers. My best compromise ski so far (since moving back to NE) was the previous version of the Brahma and I also got along with J Ski Masterblaster and Rustler 9 (but they admittedly are worse on hard/icy conditions). In the world of trade-offs hard snow performance is the priority but ideally not at expense of being completely unforgiving in moguls. I could surprise myself but picture me still using other skis for when conditions are soft, more focused on trees and bumps, or spring slop conditions.

The AM74 (Tail Wind) seems to check the most boxes with the softer and smaller shovel, and slightly less tight side cut. AM77 (White Out) and RC are others that have me interested. Thanks in advance for thoughts!

Last edited:

Premier Skis

Distributor of Lusti skis
SkiTalk Sponsor
These are my favorite Blossom skis:

No.1 GS
AM74
AM77

While my test pair of the the No.1 GS was only a 173, I thought the ski rocked and had a lot more versatility than I expected for a GS ski. It was responsive, had great grip and skied well in the bumps. The No.1 RC skis quite similarly with a couple more millimeters under foot and a bit more shape. IMO the AM74 and the AM77 ski quite a bit alike. The AM74 absolutely killed it when making medium-radius turns at high speed and showed plenty of power. While I love the AM77, I prefer the AM74 to the others on hard snow.

I would suggest the AM77 is slightly more versatile and can make turns of any shape despite being the widest of these three skis. Honestly, I think you'd be happy on any of them.

Can't decide? Buy one of each :D!

Cheers!
Mike

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I promised myself I’d demo first but wondering which Blossom ski would be best ”average day Vermont” ski for me. I’m solid “expert” skier, 5’11” and 175 lbs who favors off-piste, moguls, but low-tide season brings lots of hard, fast groomers. My best compromise ski so far (since moving back to NE) was the previous version of the Brahma and I also got along with J Ski Masterblaster and Rustler 9 (but they admittedly are worse on hard/icy conditions). In the world of trade-offs hard snow performance is the priority but ideally not at expense of being completely unforgiving in moguls. I could surprise myself but picture me still using other skis for when conditions are soft, more focused on trees and bumps, or spring slop conditions.

The AM74 (Tail Wind) seems to check the most boxes with the softer and smaller shovel, and slightly less tight side cut. AM77 (White Out) and RC are others that have me interested. Thanks in advance for thoughts!
Do you have other skis you intend to use also, or are you looking for "the one pair"?

TS
T

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Do you have other skis you intend to use also, or are you looking for "the one pair"?
I have some 110 waist skis for skinning and powder days, 100 mm do everything/playful skis and a few sub-90 skis that just didn’t make the cut. So, I am covered for the stormy, soft, and spring slush but I’m lacking for the other 75% of the days. My want is “the one pair” for those 75% so I can get real familiar and comfortable with the skis and not need to deal with bringing multiple skis to the mountain. I like skiing the whole mountain and changing up technique based on run/conditions and the hunt continues for a skinnier option for the hard snow (and to help my knees!)

TS
T

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
These are my favorite Blossom skis:

No.1 GS
AM74
AM77

While my test pair of the the No.1 GS was only a 173, I thought the ski rocked and had a lot more versatility than I expected for a GS ski. It was responsive, had great grip and skied well in the bumps. The No.1 RC skis quite similarly with a couple more millimeters under foot and a bit more shape. IMO the AM74 and the AM77 ski quite a bit alike. The AM74 absolutely killed it when making medium-radius turns at high speed and showed plenty of power. While I love the AM77, I prefer the AM74 to the others on hard snow.

I would suggest the AM77 is slightly more versatile and can make turns of any shape despite being the widest of these three skis. Honestly, I think you'd be happy on any of them.

Can't decide? Buy one of each :D!

Cheers!
Mike
Mike,

Thank you for the useful information. I didn’t have a GS cheater ski on my radar but dimensions certainly are close to modern dedicated mogul ski! How would you compare ski stiffness between GS and AM74, especially shovel (have moguls in mind).

One more question, it seems like the second longest model of most skis work for me and I am thinking the same with Blossom. Would you agree with following lengths: GS - 178, AM74 - 172, AM77 - 176?

Decisions, decisions.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
To piggy back @Blossom Skis :
Is there a "charger" blossom? I want a mid-twenties or greater radius and as damp as possible.

I don't think I want a full FIS spec. No 1 GS or one of the AM models? If it's "ok" on straight airs that's a plus.

Premier Skis

SkiTalk Sponsor
Mike,

Thank you for the useful information. I didn’t have a GS cheater ski on my radar but dimensions certainly are close to modern dedicated mogul ski! How would you compare ski stiffness between GS and AM74, especially shovel (have moguls in mind).

One more question, it seems like the second longest model of most skis work for me and I am thinking the same with Blossom. Would you agree with following lengths: GS - 178, AM74 - 172, AM77 - 176?

Decisions, decisions.

While I'm sure the No.1 GS might be marginally stiffer than the AM74, I didn't really notice much of a difference skiing them. The AM74 does have a softer tip for the first 10 cm or so to provide a bit more versatility and float.

While I don't know your height and weight, your assumptions regarding length is probably just fine.

Premier Skis

SkiTalk Sponsor
To piggy back @Blossom Skis :
Is there a "charger" blossom? I want a mid-twenties or greater radius and as damp as possible.

I don't think I want a full FIS spec. No 1 GS or one of the AM models? If it's "ok" on straight airs that's a plus.

Probably the best model for this performance criteria would either be the FIS GS in their "Masters" lengths (175, 181) which have a radius of 22 and 24 meters or the No.1 GS in a 183 which has a 20 meter radius.

The No.1 GS probably falls more into the "cheater" category, but Blossom's FIS skis are surprisingly skiable and fun,

TS
T

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
What is a good thing to do on the hottest day of summer…..order some new skis! I went with AM74 and looking forward to my first pair of Blossom skis. And, will be a season to test if I am a better skier on a narrower ski and in more varied conditions. Stay tuned.

Many thanks to Mike and others for the advice.

Sponsor

Staff online