• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
It's another Noodler suggestion.

It's very slippery so the friction between the rubber sole of the liner and the shell drops considerably, even if you have the tape on just one surface. Once I get the liner squared away I'm going to put a strip on the heel and toe of the liner so that I have tape sliding against tape.

EDIT: the link doesn't seem to be working. Google 3M 5421 1in tape. I got it on Amazon for $33
Why not use 2”?

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I seriously doubt that I could get my feet in those liners without putting them on separately. For me, they are that tight. I gave it a try in the shop and gave up pretty quickly.
Mine are very tight. With some shuffling on occasion they get in. I’m likely to travel with a shoe horn going forward though, making the entry process that much easier

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I already use a Ski Boot horn. Even with it, I will have to apologize in advance for any children who are in earshot of my booting up in the parking lot.

Reactions: BMC

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
No problems with getting in/out of the boot with the velcro hooks on the spoiler?
I was thinking about going that way-attach spoiler to shell but could not get my head around how to avoid the constant scuffing that would probably be happening.

im not too worried about the Velcro scuffing up the leather. I’ll either put a piece of duck tape or surgically remove it - it’s only sewn around the edges.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
6 days in my Freeride zip fits. Ankle/heel slop is getting beyond acceptable on my right foot. I never fully cooked them, just kept skiing them to fit my feet. I'll probably put the stock liners back in tomorrow while I wait for the OMfit I ordered last week, should be here Wednesday.

When I ordered the slop was very minimal so I only got 2 tubes. I sure hope that is enough!! I watched all the videos, but I don't think I saw how much capacity the bladders have. 2 tubes make a big difference? A millimeter is a mile!

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
6 days in my Freeride zip fits. Ankle/heel slop is getting beyond acceptable on my right foot. I never fully cooked them, just kept skiing them to fit my feet. I'll probably put the stock liners back in tomorrow while I wait for the OMfit I ordered last week, should be here Wednesday.

When I ordered the slop was very minimal so I only got 2 tubes. I sure hope that is enough!! I watched all the videos, but I don't think I saw how much capacity the bladders have. 2 tubes make a big difference? A millimeter is a mile!
That’s very unusual indeed. I find better heel hold than either custom foam or standard liners - in Lange boots which have legendary heel hold.

Maybe take them to a local shop to assist? It could be the best $50-$100 you spend.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Regarding fitting a new ZipFit liner to the shell...

I can't emphasize enough the importance of first breaking in the liner to the shell without heating the shell first, only heat the liner initially. I know this is exactly opposite of the official ZipFit instructions, but if you heat the shell and wait for that heat to infuse the liner, you run the risk of messing up the shell and possibly damaging it (especially the overlap area).

I just purchased a new GARA model liner and when fit cold into the shell it spread the throat apart almost 2". Getting this liner to fit into a tight shell takes work, but it's worth it. It requires heating the liner as I specified in the above instructions and introducing it into a cold shell. This forces the liner to adapt to the shell and your foot, instead of the other way around. It takes a few iterations of this to get the cork to move where it needs to be. This process may need to include massaging specific areas of the liner to help the cork compound into the places it needs to go. Eventually the liner fits correctly to the shell without spreading the overlap to point where there is a gap between the sides.

In my experience, if you have a tight shell fit (which should be read as the "correct" shell fit) then almost everyone should start with the GARA model and have OMFit cork added as necessary. If you're in a shell fit of 20mm or more (2+ fingers), then one of the larger models may work to start. You may not think the liner will fit into the shell upon an initial size check, but most would be surprised by how much the liner will adapt to the shell through using the correct process.
Well @Noodler , I wish I had read this post, before I had mine fit today. The boot fitter was going to heat the liner first, but then I asked him about why that was different from Sven's instructions. He had never seen Sven's video or heard of those instructions, so I showed him the video on my phone, and we did it Sven's way.
One thing is for sure: those soft shells were easy to get the liners into.:doh:
Oh well.
Suggestions at this point, besides the UHMW tape and losing the strap?

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
That’s very unusual indeed. I find better heel hold than either custom foam or standard liners - in Lange boots which have legendary heel hold.

No local dealer for Zipfit. The first few days were awesome, but as the cork settled slop developed. My right foot is problematic with EVERY single boot/liner I've had, but usually get it worked out with abit of effort. I think just abit more cork and I should be dialed.

Reactions: BMC

Jay S

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've had Zips in four different shells. I leave the liners in the boot. I feel the same as you about the PIA of taking liners in and out. You don't have to use the laces. I do now but spent many days skiing without the laces.

I thought I read somewhere that the leather lined zipfits were, very hard to put on if the liners were already in the shells. Is there any truth to this?. Are the Garas the only models that are neoprene and not leather?

i just noticed that you can spec the free ride liners with either neoprene or leather interior.

Last edited:

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
very hard to put on if the liners were already in the shells
Having both I would say that the Leather is gripper, thus harder to get on . For the life of me I don't see the problem with foot in liner first then slip into shell. another 2 minutes , isn't all day comfort worth it , plus don't people remove their liners to dry after a day skiing to dry out

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
No reason. I'm not sure why I picked that size but the 2" will work as well.

2" wide could potentially work, but...

1" is sufficient and 2" may introduce some challenges in getting the tape to lay along the spine without any wrinkles. Wrinkles could cause problems with the durability of the tape. You really want it to be as smooth as possible. There are a lot of weird contours in the back of some boots and 2" tape is going to hit more of them.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Well @Noodler , I wish I had read this post, before I had mine fit today. The boot fitter was going to heat the liner first, but then I asked him about why that was different from Sven's instructions. He had never seen Sven's video or heard of those instructions, so I showed him the video on my phone, and we did it Sven's way.
One thing is for sure: those soft shells were easy to get the liners into.:doh:
Oh well.
Suggestions at this point, besides the UHMW tape and losing the strap?

I had a feeling when I looked at the picture you posted of the liners that you didn't actually break-in the liner during the fitting, but rather the shell. What shells are you in? Are they heat moldable?

Jay S

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Having both I would say that the Leather is gripper, thus harder to get on . For the life of me I don't see the problem with foot in liner first then slip into shell. another 2 minutes , isn't all day comfort worth it , plus don't people remove their liners to dry after a day skiing to dry out
Call me lazy or stubborn but I just don’t want to deal with it.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I had a feeling when I looked at the picture you posted of the liners that you didn't actually break-in the liner during the fitting, but rather the shell. What shells are you in? Are they heat moldable?
Nordica Sportmachine 130. And yes, I think so. They tout their Infrared Technology for a "precise custom fit."
Whatever.

Last edited: