• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
i ordered the Barge contact cement when this was originally posted and it just showed up yesterday.

i re-read this post, watched a couple of videos and went at it.

it came out perfectly! Really easy to repair this way, and the contact cement is super sticky after drying so once I pressed the sole back against the upper it stuck tight and there was no need for clamping.

Thanks @cem !

You could also use Aquaseal. <- which I have used with great success to keep a Dakine Double Concourse going over the years. Basically becomes rubber.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
i ordered the Barge contact cement when this was originally posted and it just showed up yesterday.

it came out perfectly! Really easy to repair this way, and the contact cement is super sticky after drying so once I pressed the sole back against the upper it stuck tight and there was no need for clamping.

Thanks @cem !
so glad it worked out for you , now keep them out of the oven !

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So if you haven't looked at the ZipFit site lately, they've significantly revamped the model line-up. The new Corsa is still there, the Gara is now available in LV and HV editions (but no leather-lined option), and the World Cup is now only available in the Sidewinder edition with the leather-lined interior. Of course I'm only basing all this on what's showing on their web site, so it may be that there are other options if you talk to them.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I'm swapping my Intuition liners foe ZipFit next month. How do you store your boots & liners? Since the liners are put on and taken off separate from the shells do you put them inside the boots when not using them for a few days or the summer or keep them out?

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Posting here instead of starting a new thread as it seems like this is covering a lot more than just which model.

I bought a pair of Garas a couple of years ago without really having a need for them. They were practically brand new and were a fantastic deal so I jumped on them. I bought new boots last year and while I’m happy with the stock liners for now, also wanted to try them with the Garas.

I heated them up to go through the initial fit process and noticed the soles had started to separate a bit. It was quite possibly (probably?) my fault and I may have inadvertently used an incorrect temperature,

Anyway, here’s how they look now. Has anyone else had this issue? I actually had a similar but not as severe issue with another pair of Zipfits which wasn’t from overheating - those ones just separated a little over time.

Any thoughts on how to repair? I’m thinking shoe goo or similar, but it’s an awkward shape and a soft material and I’m trying to figure out the best way to make sure I get a repair that gets the sole back flush with the upper and holds up over time.
View attachment 142061
View attachment 142062 View attachment 142063 View attachment 142064

Thanks @cem !

So, it was a bit premature for me to claim victory on this. I think I was also too quick to assume that I had screwed up something when I initially heated the liners - I'm very careful and methodical about working on my ski gear, and it would have been out of character to have set the oven too high, but I assumed user error on my part as it seemed like the most likely cause.

Anyway, after making the repair and letting them sit for a week or two, I kicked off getting these new liners ready for the season by using a HotGear bag rather than heating them in an oven, to make sure I was using a lower temperature and there was no possibility of over heating them.

I unfortunately ran into the same issue even at the lower temperature in the Hot Gear bag. The soles were coming away from the upper after sitting in the heated bag for a couple of hours - both in the areas I had repaired and in other areas of the soles.

I sent a note to ZipFit to see if there's anything they can suggest to get this fixed. I haven't heard back yet, so may just give them a call to chat about it.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm swapping my Intuition liners foe ZipFit next month. How do you store your boots & liners? Since the liners are put on and taken off separate from the shells do you put them inside the boots when not using them for a few days or the summer or keep them out?
I don’t take mine out of the shell ever. I dry them on a boot dryer then warm them in my heated bag before skiing.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After daily use I’ll take mine out and put the Zipfits on a dryer and let the shell air dry.
After a cycle or two on the dryer I put the Zipfits back in the shell, buckle them and then put back in my bag
For an extended amount of time I will dry as normal, check the shell for any issues and into my bag.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, it was a bit premature for me to claim victory on this. I think I was also too quick to assume that I had screwed up something when I initially heated the liners - I'm very careful and methodical about working on my ski gear, and it would have been out of character to have set the oven too high, but I assumed user error on my part as it seemed like the most likely cause.

Anyway, after making the repair and letting them sit for a week or two, I kicked off getting these new liners ready for the season by using a HotGear bag rather than heating them in an oven, to make sure I was using a lower temperature and there was no possibility of over heating them.

I unfortunately ran into the same issue even at the lower temperature in the Hot Gear bag. The soles were coming away from the upper after sitting in the heated bag for a couple of hours - both in the areas I had repaired and in other areas of the soles.

I sent a note to ZipFit to see if there's anything they can suggest to get this fixed. I haven't heard back yet, so may just give them a call to chat about it.
PM sent

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Noodler - found some new WC's on Ebay during the offseason - going to intial fit them later this week. Do you ever use toecaps on the first fitting?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@Noodler - found some new WC's on Ebay during the offseason - going to intial fit them later this week. Do you ever use toecaps on the first fitting?

I typically do not use toe caps with ZipFit fitting. However, they could potentially help you ensure that your foot is pushed back properly into the heel pocket. What's important to understand is that fitting a ZipFit isn't the same situation as it is with other liners. With other liners it's pretty much a once and done situation, so you need to get the foot into the skiing position and hope that the liner accommodates your anatomy correctly for comfort and performance. That's not the goal in ZipFit liner fitting. All you're doing is "introducing" your foot/leg to the liner and getting the OMfit material to be at least approximately in the right spots when your foot and the liner are in the shell. Because the liners will continually adapt every time you ski them, the main purpose of the ZipFit liner fitting is to avoid some pain during your first few times out on them. You could literally just throw them in your shells and go ski to break them in, but you might be swearing a lot... ;)

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Noodler - thanks, only reason would be to get my heel WAY back, but had built a little ramp for my toes anyway. Just wondering. The neoprene toe box probably gives so too. Appreciate the guidance

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
Hello to everyone in the thread!

Do ZipFit run true to their stated size?

I can't try on in person and returning won't be cheap for me, so I need a bit of help on the sizing side. My feet measure 26.3L and 26.1R. I asked the guys from Lockwoods to measure for me the sole length of the 25.5 and 26.5 Gara Stealth leather that they have in stock. According to them the length of the 25.5 is 26.5cm at the sole and 28cm for the 26.5. Probably they measured including the curvature at the heel, otherwise I can't see how size 26.5 would be 28cm in length.

@Noodler you have 25.5, can you measure yours? Would you mind sharing how long do your feet measure?

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Do ZipFit run true to their stated size

I ski 26.5 alpine boots, my zipfits are 26.5. They originally felt a ‘tiny bit’ shorter than the Heads I swapped them for, but the Head’s had 30-40 days on them by then. I think the Zipfits ‘stretched’ for within 6 or 7 days or back to back skiing.
Hope that helps.
-Chris

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
ZipFit liners do run true to size for the length. However, there's more to liner fitting than just the length. In my plug-type boots (<94mm last) I will use the ZipFit liner that is the same size as the shell. In my shells that are 98mm lasts I actually size up on the ZipFit. It takes more work to get the 26.5 Zip into a 25.5, but it works for my foot in my more "relaxed skiing" shells.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
ZipFit liners do run true to size for the length. However, there's more to liner fitting than just the length. In my plug-type boots (<94mm last) I will use the ZipFit liner that is the same size as the shell. In my shells that are 98mm lasts I actually size up on the ZipFit. It takes more work to get the 26.5 Zip into a 25.5, but it works for my foot in my more "relaxed skiing" shells.
Interesting, are the 26.5 zipfits more or less tight in the 98mm 25.5 boot than the 25.5 zipfits would be? That is, what is the fit difference when it comes to sizing up the zipfits?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Interesting, are the 26.5 zipfits more or less tight in the 98mm 25.5 boot than the 25.5 zipfits would be? That is, what is the fit difference when it comes to sizing up the zipfits?

As the liners increase in size, not only the length increases, but the liner itself is larger. I have a narrow foot and easily drop into plug boots. If I want to ski in a 98mm last boot, then I need to make up some space with higher liner volume. Normally that's a big "no, no", but with a ZipFit, the liner material is not "cushy", so using a bigger ZipFit does not decrease the performance, but does increase the warmth (which is part of what I was aiming for).

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m confused at some of the posts asking for advice on which Zipfit to get, or which size. If you call Zipfit, you’ll be able to talk to somebody knowledgeable (I think there’s only 2 guys there). They’ll steer you in the correct direction, eliminating a lot of guesswork. I got Zipfits for my tele boots, and when I spoke to Chris there on the phone, turns out he skis in the exact same tele boots I have, so was able to really give me great advice.

The “finder” feature on Zipfit’s page directed me to a totally different liner than the one I got.

I got the Freeride liner and it fits GREAT with my tele boots. I have a 25.5 shell (which for Scarpa, is actually the same as a 26.0 unlike in alpine boots) and I’m in the 25.5 liner. If I had decided on my own, I would’ve gotten the 26.5 liner. But the 25.5 is indeed the ticket.

Sponsor