• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. Works great especially thanks to the heated boot bag.
Hmmm. I might have to try that! I always use my heated bag, sooo……. ;)

….but I’m also stupid-klutzy sometimes. But maybe having the liners already in the shells will reduce the tendency towards klutziness.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm. I might have to try that! I always use my heated bag, sooo……. ;)

….but I’m also stupid-klutzy sometimes. But maybe having the liners already in the shells will reduce the tendency towards klutziness.
I have taken the laces out which helps. But I can have them in, I just find them to be a PITA.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
As the liners increase in size, not only the length increases, but the liner itself is larger. I have a narrow foot and easily drop into plug boots. If I want to ski in a 98mm last boot, then I need to make up some space with higher liner volume. Normally that's a big "no, no", but with a ZipFit, the liner material is not "cushy", so using a bigger ZipFit does not decrease the performance, but does increase the warmth (which is part of what I was aiming for).
Ah, that makes sense. I've had zipfits for the past two seasons but noticed recently that my zipfits are actually one size larger than my (98mm) boot shell. I also have narrow feet that are closer to plug boot sized than 98mm last sized, so I guess my fitter knew what he was doing.

They seem to fit ok in the boot shell for me, they don't seem harder to insert than the stock liners were - or maybe I'm just used to them now, since I have to remove/insert the zipfits every time I ski!

AchtungSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Does anyone have any experience with the sidewinder option on zipfits? I'm between the Gara LV and the World Cup Sidewinder but I'm unsure about the medial plastic reinforcement. I spoke with Jeff at zipfit and basically my takeaway was that the sidewinder gives you great edging power transfer on piste but off piste might lock you into more carvy type turns than you may desire. I don't race and I value versatility so that makes me wary, however I live in the midwest so groomers are the primary skiing I do and my skis are 92mm so the extra ankle stiffness seems like it would be desirable. I guess I'm worried about the degree that it "locks" you into using the inside edge?

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
My son has the sidewinder option and he ski's MRG which is a mostly natural snow ski area with very little grooming . He really likes the sidewinder option and has never felt locked in an edge. Its a better option especially if you mostly ski harder surfaces.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Still no sidewinder option for me... today I added the ZipFit Gara LV Leather-lined to my liner quiver. I can't wait to get into a leather-lined Zip again.

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Regarding ease of getting lace-up liners into and out of boots I've been using teflon tape for several years with great success. I put a 1.5" wide layer from the heel pocket up the spine of the shell and another on the zeppa (boot board). If you have catch points such as a mounted shim/spoiler you can put additional pieces of tape in place to smooth over the problem areas. Makes entry and exit exponentially easier. Bonus is that it also saves wear and tear on the heel of the liner.

The tape is a bit expensive but I get a season out an application.

TapeCase 1.5-5-423-10 White UHMW Polyethylene Tape 423-10, 0.01 mil Thickness, 5 yd Length, 1.5" Width

25355.jpeg

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
Regarding ease of getting lace-up liners into and out of boots I've been using teflon tape for several years with great success. I put a 1.5" wide layer from the heel pocket up the spine of the shell and another on the zeppa (boot board). If you have catch points such as a mounted shim/spoiler you can put additional pieces of tape in place to smooth over the problem areas. Makes entry and exit exponentially easier. Bonus is that it also saves wear and tear on the heel of the liner.

The tape is a bit expensive but I get a season out an application.

TapeCase 1.5-5-423-10 White UHMW Polyethylene Tape 423-10, 0.01 mil Thickness, 5 yd Length, 1.5" Width

View attachment 149571
I will definitely be trying this out next winter. I go through so much tape (too much friction I guess, it just comes off after a few days) and the heels of my zipfits are still getting worn.

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
I will definitely be trying this out next winter. I go through so much tape (too much friction I guess, it just comes off after a few days) and the heels of my zipfits are still getting worn.
Have you checked your shell for any rough spots that might be a problem under the tape? If it's plastic (stamps, edges, etc) it can be sandpapered down or grinded. If the screws of the bolts are a problem, maybe put some soft thin foam or a felt like material and then tape. Also, people say that Boot Horn(the red plastic device) does wonders when you insert your foot in the shell.

the_eleven

Booting up
Skier
ZipFit virgin here. These will be going into a pair of Atomic XTD Prime 130. My foot is on the narrow end of the spectrum (98-99 last), but really like how solid these felt, so...

The shop I am working with suggested the Grand Prix Freeride Stealth, so we tried it, and it felt superb. However I noticed that ZipFit is selling a Gara "HV" and that liner seems like it is more in line with how I ski.

Does anyone know how much OM is in the Gara HV vs Freeride Stealth?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
ZipFit virgin here. These will be going into a pair of Atomic XTD Prime 130. My foot is on the narrow end of the spectrum (98-99 last), but really like how solid these felt, so...

The shop I am working with suggested the Grand Prix Freeride Stealth, so we tried it, and it felt superb. However I noticed that ZipFit is selling a Gara "HV" and that liner seems like it is more in line with how I ski.

Does anyone know how much OM is in the Gara HV vs Freeride Stealth?

This is the first season where we're getting different volume versions of the Gara. So I don't know if this is simply being accomplished by varying the amount of OMFit in the bladders or if there are any other changes. ZipFit is probably where you need to take the question, however if I were to place a bet, I would be surprised if it's not just the amount of OMFit included. Remember that the volume of OMFit cork compound can be added or extracted, so the decision regarding with model to buy should not be concerned with the amount of OMFit.

P.S. The inital check for the fit of a ZipFit should focus on the mid-foot to forefoot area. Because there's nothing you can do to change that part of the fit. ZipFit liners are fairly thin through this area, so you need a tight fitting shell. The other parts of the ZipFit liner will break-in and their volume can be modified via OMfit addition/substraction.

the_eleven

Booting up
Skier
This shell is not particularly tight fitting, and I know what that feels like after many seasons an Lange race boots with injected foam liners. I would say for this boot (85/15 resort/hiking and a walk mode) I can accept a bit of movement in the forefoot and toes, given the ankle and heel support of this liner.

Are all the Zips thin through the mid-foot to forefoot or is there a particular version that has more volume?

I have some special window flashing material with a slick surface that is also fairly thick, that I was considering applying one or two layers to the inner surface of the shell to take up a bit of space in the forefoot. A slick shell is good with these liners am I right?

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This shell is not particularly tight fitting, and I know what that feels like after many seasons an Lange race boots with injected foam liners. I would say for this boot (85/15 resort/hiking and a walk mode) I can accept a bit of movement in the forefoot and toes, given the ankle and heel support of this liner.

Are all the Zips thin through the mid-foot to forefoot or is there a particular version that has more volume?

I have some special window flashing material with a slick surface that is also fairly thick, that I was considering applying one or two layers to the inner surface of the shell to take up a bit of space in the forefoot. A slick shell is good with these liners am I right?

Yes, all the Zips have the same construction through the mid-foot and forefoot. It's partially clad in leather over top of a double neoprene layer.

Not sure what you're getting at regarding a "slick shell". If you're planning on going in/out racer style (liner on your foot outside of the shell), then you would want that process to be snag free.

the_eleven

Booting up
Skier
Yes, that is what I meant... Adding neoprene foam to the shell would not work for inserting a ZipFit since I plan on going in/out racer style.

Thanks for your responses!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Picked up some Gran Prix - which looking at the Zipfit website they've recently rebranded as Freeride with a lower rear spoiler and a bit of fluting to increase comfort for large calves. Despite the lack of these mods and my gargantuan calves not that uncomfortable at the back. But even with a mega large shell (Hawx Magna) finding it hard to close up the boot (without profuse swearing)- think it's the volume at base of the tongue impacting shell overlap. This is indoors at home after warming in front of fire so only going to get worse in a frozen parking lot.

Any tips? Not particularly thinking I need to take cork out yet.

Reactions: BMC

Sponsor

Staff online