• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
How does the leather lining handles the sweating of the feet?
I really like the idea of it, but my feet run on the sweatier side ...

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Have you tried a spray antiperspirant? I've had really good luck with them.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

That's exactly how it works. It's hydrophobic leather, so you're not going to damage it. It uses the natural perspiration from your feet to increase the grip on your feet and lower legs. What this means is you get the supreme holding power of a ZipFit with even LESS needed buckle tension. I basically skied all day with my boots effectively unbuckled. I did buckle them down for the final few laps just to help the break-in process, but the leather lining just really steps up the capability of this liner to hold your feet where they need to be.

Once you experience a ZipFit it's hard to go back to anything else. Once you experience a ZipFit with leather-lining you're even more spoiled.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^Ya, no kidding. I’m contemplating new alpine boots and already considering which Zip to put in them…

Reactions: BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Look at the Kulkea Thermal. I have one and there's no way I'd be able to get my Zipfits in the shells in the parking lot without them warmed up by the bag. I don't think anyone makes a double-sized boot bag but my only ownership experience is the Kulkea.
This so much. This is the benefit and detriment of Zipfit. I have no hope of getting my foot into my boot even at room temperature with zipfits, I need to get then quite warm - a good drying room or boot heater bag is necessary. But once on, they’re the most precise and comfortable imaginable - more so than a foam liner (but not by much).

I’ve now removed the power strap on the Zipfit liner. It added fiddle and I felt like it was very marginally putting me more on my heels while skiing. So I’ve kept the laces in, but removed the strap - my foot is more comfortable and I feel skiing performance has improved too.

FYI ZipFit Gara in Lange RS 130 and XT 120 Free.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Noodler

I just got a pair of world cup sidewinders today and tried fitting them following your procedure. Took me a second to get the hang of stepping into the shells with the liners on but I managed, however I was barely able to get the shells buckled at the ankle buckle even at the longest adjustment position. I basically had to squeeze my cuff together with one hand and crank the buckle over with the other and it was a bit tight on top of my ankle when standing. Is this something that will break in with repeated wear or are my shells not compatible? Any advice would be much appreciated!
I have the same thing, but for me, it’s over the instep. I just take a few seconds to push the liner back into place, and carefully close the second buckle over it, making sure it doesn’t pinch.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the exact same problem @AchtungSki

It's to the point where I'm having to put my liners/boots on at home and have my wife drive to the mountain. I won't boot up in the lodge due to COVID going crazy here in UT and I fear that I won't be able to get the zip fits in the boot in the cold parking lot. If I foresee having to boot up in the lot, I'm going to take along the stock liners in case I can't get the zip fits to cooperate.

I'm 7 days in on my zip fits and the heel hold is fantastic. They're very warm as well, but unfortunately the foot pain I've had with every boot forever is still present. That's not the fault of the zip fits though.
Similar thoughts here.

I’m in Canada now (from Oz) and took my Zipfits overseas for the first time. I just couldn’t get my boots warm enough to get my foot in. I was resorting to hair dryers etc, until buying a heated boot bag (which totally solved the problem). But I can’t necessarily cart a heated boot bag all over the world with me. I often ski in Japan and my lodge there has a boot room that gets only modestly warm - it’s a toss up whether I slip in some foam liners which are much easier to get into, or take Zipfits plus a heated boot bag.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for all the help!

One last question (I know…find a fitter), BUT, if I’m trying to find a “current” liner to go into my Lange RX boots (275mm with high midfoot and larger than average calves) which ZipFit liner should I start with? Low Volume, Medium Volume or High Volume.

ZipFit recommended the Freeride, but this starts with the “most” cork material?? IF, my boot shells are fitted/sized properly in which I have little volume/space inside the shell, shouldn’t I start with a “low volume” liner and add material as needed?
It depends on your foot, but I’m in the Lange RS wide, which is identical to the RX, and the Gara is tight. I wouldn’t want any more Omfit.

AchtungSki

Putting on skis
Skier
You're definitely right Noodler, the leather lining really does add something over the usual neoprene/foam of normal liners. It's my second favorite aspect aside from how the cork has formed around my foot.

I removed the straps off the liner today then wore my boots for a bit and I definitely feel a difference. Even with my calves still being pretty sore I really didn't notice much if any cramping or discomfort from that spot when I was just standing or sitting around compared to my previous testfits or Sunday. So I'm guessing that with the strap there was just too much crap at the top of my cuff there which was aligning/pressuring my leg weirdly inside the boot. Obviously can't say for certain that would hold up after 4+ hours of skiing. The zipfits themselves have very noticeably, both visually and tactilely, conformed to my leg now though so I think that your fit process is good Noodler. I'm planning on stopping in to my local bootfitter to have him check the calf and ankle hotspots out though just to be safe, perhaps in my specific circumstance I do need a little bit of shell work done. I will note (mostly for posterity's sake in case someone encounters my issues in the future and they're looking back at this) that I have heel lifts in my boots due to having longer legs and not great dorsiflexion, I suspect this also contributes to the tightness at the midfoot/crook of the ankle.

The powerstrap on the zipfits themselves does seem like the design isn't quite fully thought out though. Feels a bit redundant to me and even so I feel like it should be higher up on the liner so it stays out of the shell when it's buckled up.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Similar thoughts here.

I’m in Canada now (from Oz) and took my Zipfits overseas for the first time. I just couldn’t get my boots warm enough to get my foot in. I was resorting to hair dryers etc, until buying a heated boot bag (which totally solved the problem). But I can’t necessarily cart a heated boot bag all over the world with me. I often ski in Japan and my lodge there has a boot room that gets only modestly warm - it’s a toss up whether I slip in some foam liners which are much easier to get into, or take Zipfits plus a heated boot bag.
When traveling I've taken out the heating element and brought that with me. I stuff my boots and the element into a regular carry on and use that as my boot bag. Just as toasty.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
When traveling I've taken out the heating element and brought that with me. I stuff my boots and the element into a regular carry on and use that as my boot bag. Just as toasty.
Oh, and if you are going to try this I would pack the heating element in a checked bag. Take it from me, TSA really doesn't like to see a bunch of wires running all over your carry on when they X Ray it.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Once you experience a ZipFit it's hard to go back to anything else. Once you experience a ZipFit with leather-lining you're even more spoiled.

Perhaps it is about time to pull out the WorldCups then....:rolleyes:

Nah...better not...let me first kill the Sidas foam injected that are on their last legs, ZipFits will be kept for later. :ogbiggrin:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Similar thoughts here.

I don't recall, are you going in/out "racer style" (liner on your foot) or are you trying to get your foot in while the liner is already in the shell?

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't recall, are you going in/out "racer style" (liner on your foot) or are you trying to get your foot in while the liner is already in the shell?
I just go in the shell. I find it easier and any Omfit moved while I do that finds its way back quickly.

In that period I did also try the racer style but it was no better an approach.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister