abdul

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Just adding to the collective zipfit wisdom... picked up some Corsa 92 liners (leather inside lining) this season to replace my ~8-10yr old Gara liners (leather outside cuff, neoprene inside) which was last in Salmon XMax Race shells (says 96mm but more like 98mm compared to the Redster CS).

Corsa summary is: skis great, not as comfy out-the-box as the old Gara, added full tube of cork into each tongue, and will ski them without socks on.

More detail... Got a skinny ankle and calf, and the Corsa's were put into Fischer RC4 Podium 130 (92mm) and Atomic Redster CS 130 (96mm). The Gara liner had too much volume to fit into the Redster CS 130.
The new design ("stealth" with the outside cuff in plastic honeycomb) seems reasonably thinner than the old Gara design. Had to buckle the top 2 buckles an extra 1-2 notches in my Salomon's (which i didn't like how it made the cuff/flex feel in the Salomon's).
The Corsa tongue doesn't have much cork in it standard - got an extra tube of cork added into each.
Leather inside liner seemed less 'forgiving' compared to the neoprene inside liner. Took several days to break in and mold the cork, whereas the Garas were just a heat-once and comfy from day 1 onwards.
Bare feet in the Corsa leather liner works better for me vs. wearing socks. With socks, my foot seemed to move a little too much against the leather. Barefoot, my foot/ankle feel more 'glued' to the liner and got better support and ski control.
The Corsa "92" liner had too much volume out-the-box to work in my plug boots (e.g. liner is too thick). Corsa liner fits great in the Redster (96mm). In the Fischer Podium (92mm) my foot was crushed as the liner has significantly more volume from the mets back to the ankles vs. the stock 'sock' liner. If you want it to work in plugs, you might need to remove a reasonable amount of cork from the ankles to make it work. For me, i'll use the Corsa's in the Redster's and the stock sock liner in the Fischer's.

Reactions: BMC

bazza

Skier
Alrighty, going to ask here because it seems like the best zipfit thread on the web.
Just bought a set of Zipfits - purchased what I thought was going to be a set of the older model Grand Prix (modern day Gara HV by the sounds of it), but instead got a set of Grand Prix Freerides sent to me. Should I send them back for a refund, or should I be glad I got a newer model than I thought and hold onto them (have made contact with the shop about this too)?

Usage breakdown:
70% time in RX130
30% Technica Cochise 130
---
50% groomers/carving/casual racing
30% freeride/off piste
20% touring

Initially I went the Gara to focus on the more on-piste usage, but now that they've arrived figured the Freerides could cover the usage they'll get nicely - am I wrong in this assumption? I also have the spoilers off my old Lange liners that I was thinking I can put in when riding resort/skiing hard, then pull them out on pow/touring days.

Let me know what you think/if I'm being stupid
Cheers

BMC

Getting off the lift
Skier
Alrighty, going to ask here because it seems like the best zipfit thread on the web.
Just bought a set of Zipfits - purchased what I thought was going to be a set of the older model Grand Prix (modern day Gara HV by the sounds of it), but instead got a set of Grand Prix Freerides sent to me. Should I send them back for a refund, or should I be glad I got a newer model than I thought and hold onto them (have made contact with the shop about this too)?

Usage breakdown:
70% time in RX130
30% Technica Cochise 130
---
30% freeride/off piste
20% touring

Initially I went the Gara to focus on the more on-piste usage, but now that they've arrived figured the Freerides could cover the usage they'll get nicely - am I wrong in this assumption? I also have the spoilers off my old Lange liners that I was thinking I can put in when riding resort/skiing hard, then pull them out on pow/touring days.

Cheers
If your foot fits in the Freerides in your boots I think you’d be fine. I’m not 100% across all the differences between models but the biggest difference is the amount of Omfit. If that model has the right amount of Omfit, you’re good to go.

I have an older model Grand Prix “good to go” in a separate pair of boots. I’ve been using the newer Gara in my main boots (Lange RX120) and it’s great. The Grand Prix is to go in my XT Free 120’s for piste skiing…if it all works. First test in a few weeks (I’m in Oz).

abdul

Skier

Usage breakdown:
70% time in RX130
30% Technica Cochise 130
---
30% freeride/off piste
20% touring

Cheers
Personally i think the Gara model is better if you want more performance (while still being comfy). Suggest you put what they sent in your boots and see how they fit. Pay attention to how this model fits around the shin and calf. It seems like they've thinned out the upper and back of the liner compared to older versions (while the ankle/heel hold is still good). I think the Freeride has less calf/back of boot support compared to the Gara.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Usage breakdown:
70% time in RX130
30% Technica Cochise 130
I’ll be curious how this works. I know people move the zipfit liners from shell to shell, but I always thought that was after the life cycle of one shell ended and they moved to a new shell. Im wondering how well they will work skiing one shell one day and another shell the next??

curious if the shell to liner fit will be different enough between the shells that it will effect liner to foot fit?
I have no idea, just wondering….

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ll be curious how this works. I know people move the zipfit liners from shell to shell, but I always thought that was after the life cycle of one shell ended and they moved to a new shell. Im wondering how well they will work skiing one shell one day and another shell the next??

curious if the shell to liner fit will be different enough between the shells that it will effect liner to foot fit?
I have no idea, just wondering….
I thought the same thing.

Part of what you get with a Zipfit liner is they conform to the shape of your foot and ankle and to the shape of the boot over time.

Doesn’t seem like a good idea to move them from shell to shell other than when moving permanently to a new boot.

I’d also question whether it’s a great idea to use Zipfit liners (other than the GFT) for touring.

If you’re only using the Cochise 30% of the time, and two thirds of that is touring, it’s probably a better idea to just use the stock liners and leave the Zipfits for the RXs.

Last edited:

BMC

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’ve put some older Grand Prix liners in some Lange XT Free 120’s for when I’m skiing in resort. They’re quite a deal more plump than the Gara, which I use in essentially the same boot last. To be honest when I heated them today I was wondering how I’d go getting them into the boot (even though this was the second attempt). They did go in though. What’s interesting is the neoprene forefoot also seems to be more plump than the Gara. I didn’t expect that. The omfit in the liner shaft was notably more plump. On the boot shaft whereas theGara is buckled on buckle latch 2, I was straining to get the Grand Prix over buckle latch one.

I do expect some more omfit movement to come, but for me at least the Grand Prix, while doable, is at the very edge of fit capability.

Just fyi I do have a very tight race fit in my Langes, but have a very wide foot so use the 100 last.