• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
You can always remove cork from the Gara HV if it's too much.
If you are adding a shim probably your instep is not too high and you might be ok with the HV but it's a bit of a risk...

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nope, never tried boots stated in a 96 last.

Anyone have any insight on whether to go LV or HV Gara for Atomic hawx ultra 130 or Mindbender 130 LV?
If you’re finding the boots voluminous in a standard liner, go HV

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Anyone have any insight on whether to go LV or HV ..?
This always confuses me. I have HV feet but the space in the boot between my foot and the shell is LV...

Triplet

Skier
ZipFit has raised the price in Europe on their Website.
+ 85 euro for Gara LV/HV -> 470€
+ 88 euro for Corsa -> 488€
+ 91.3 euro for WC -> 506.30€

A week or so ago the price was the same as last year.

No idea about the US market as I don't remember the price in USD from last winter.

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
Danish webshop found me a Gara LV they didn't know they had. Was either that or the Corsa by Jeff's dedicated guidance.

Very excited to receive them in a few days!

They will be fit (by me,not a bootfitter close to anywhere I ski) into a pair of Dobermann GP130s. Shellfit of 1cm, sweet all round on my feet, albeit with a couple of pressure points that might need to be punched at some point. No biggies.

The plan is to heat the liners first, lace up, stand/walk around, then heat the boots. The question really is how much do I heat the shells? They have the so called infrared tech, and really don't want to melt or disform them. As such, will take any advise from you with a grain of healthy scepticism (so feel free to offer suggestions).

Thanks,
Arild (GFB)

Reactions: BMC

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The plan is to heat the liners first, lace up, stand/walk around, then heat the boots.

Why? I mean why heat the shells? This thread is full of fitting advise and the general consensus is that the original recommendation to heat the shells is nonsense.
Heat just the liners and follow the same process you'd do with any other heat moldable liners except for standing still. With the ZipFits you can heat the liners, put your feet in them, then into the shells and then you can walk around a bit.
I don't see how walking around in liners only will bring any results. You need the cork to conform to both your feet and the shell.

Last edited:

Triplet

Skier
@arildGFB do not heat the shells... Stand in the boots flexing them, incline left and right to better form the ankle pockets.

Note that if it is the Corsa it is a very very thin liner around the shaft of the leg (calf area). It's even thinner(but firmer) than a typical race liner in that area (the rest is actually much thicker than a true race liner).

So the Corsa is a weird animal, a high performance liner but the volume of your foot and leg needs to be just right to really work it's wonder for you.

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks!

No heating the shells. Copy. Never had Zipfits, used to molding intuitions the past 15-20 years ( in which one most definitely should not walk around during the heat mold process), and seen differing advise here, on TGR, and from ZF themselves on how to go about "shaping" zipfits to ones feet and boots.

Triplet; ended up with Garas, with the option of swapping them for Corsas if the former is too high volume.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks!

No heating the shells. Copy. Never had Zipfits, used to molding intuitions the past 15-20 years ( in which one most definitely should not walk around during the heat mold process), and seen differing advise here, on TGR, and from ZF themselves on how to go about "shaping" zipfits to ones feet and boots.

Triplet; ended up with Garas, with the option of swapping them for Corsas if the former is too high volume.

One of the best things about ZipFits is they are infinitely moldable. You can do it thousand times if you wish and they will constantly adapt to any changes in your feet. And also, they change as you go, I mean during skiing.
The main challenge actually is to initially stuff them into the shells, it is all smooth sailing from there.

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
One of the best things about ZipFits is they are infinitely moldable. You can do it thousand times if you wish and they will constantly adapt to any changes in your feet. And also, they change as you go, I mean during skiing.
The main challenge actually is to initially stuff them into the shells, it is all smooth sailing from there.
Used racer entry for years, even with intuitions, as those tend to pack out easier if you don't.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Used racer entry for years, even with intuitions, as those tend to pack out easier if you don't.

No I mean the initial molding. When you first heat them and try to stuff your foot with the liner on into the shell. That takes a bit of effort.
Once molded, no worries.

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
No I mean the initial molding. When you first heat them and try to stuff your foot with the liner on into the shell. That takes a bit of effort.
Once molded, no worries.
Got that! I'm building a bear trap spreader just for that purpose, with some old bindings I've got lying around. Don't want to scuff them up more than necessary.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it a good idea to trim up the bear trap a little to make it easier? I’ve often thought possible as long as they still overlap.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stupid question maybe, but how’s everyone store the Zipfits when not skiing? Stuff them back into shell or keep separate?
Picked up a pair for this season, first timer.

After initial fit think I’m gonna love them. As a person who is constantly messing with fit think this will put end to that. I will probably ski the right boot without touching anything but a heel lift or boot board grind. Left boot, the one that I always mess with will need cork in tongue and heel lift and should eliminate the reason I’m constantly monkeying with them. So far so good :thumb: I can feel the quality and longevity for sure.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stupid question maybe, but how’s everyone store the Zipfits when not skiing? Stuff them back into shell or keep separate?
Picked up a pair for this season, first timer.

After initial fit think I’m gonna love them. As a person who is constantly messing with fit think this will put end to that. I will probably ski the right boot without touching anything but a heel lift or boot board grind. Left boot, the one that I always mess with will need cork in tongue and heel lift and should eliminate the reason I’m constantly monkeying with them. So far so good :thumb: I can feel the quality and longevity for sure.
I'll keep them out overnight after skiing just to make sure everything is properly dry. For long term storage though, I keep them in the boots.

Sponsor

Staff online