• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
Stupid question maybe, but how’s everyone store the Zipfits when not skiing? Stuff them back into shell or keep separate?
Picked up a pair for this season, first timer.

After initial fit think I’m gonna love them. As a person who is constantly messing with fit think this will put end to that. I will probably ski the right boot without touching anything but a heel lift or boot board grind. Left boot, the one that I always mess with will need cork in tongue and heel lift and should eliminate the reason I’m constantly monkeying with them. So far so good :thumb: I can feel the quality and longevity for sure.
The cork gradually moves under gravity, so it's nice to store the liners/boots either on their side or upside down so the cork doesn't drop down too low and increase around the bottom of the ankle/heel.

Heated boot bags are also nice to use with zipfits (on low setting to not affect any heat molding or punches on the shell).

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The cork gradually moves under gravity, so it's nice to store the liners/boots either on their side or upside down so the cork doesn't drop down too low and increase around the bottom of the ankle/heel.

Heated boot bags are also nice to use with zipfits (on low setting to not affect any heat molding or punches on the shell).
Is cork settlage really a thing? As far as low setting, it’s my understanding the only difference in heat setting is time it takes to reach max temp, not max temp.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I haven’t found that to be the case with any of the ZipFit liners I’ve owned.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stupid question maybe, but how’s everyone store the Zipfits when not skiing? Stuff them back into shell or keep separate?
Picked up a pair for this season, first timer.

After initial fit think I’m gonna love them. As a person who is constantly messing with fit think this will put end to that. I will probably ski the right boot without touching anything but a heel lift or boot board grind. Left boot, the one that I always mess with will need cork in tongue and heel lift and should eliminate the reason I’m constantly monkeying with them. So far so good :thumb: I can feel the quality and longevity for sure.
I stick them back in the boot shell for longer term storage, after they’re fully aired and dry.

If doing multiple days I will just leave them out of the boot to air and dry. They’ll next go back in the shell with my foot in them the next morning when I go skiing!!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Is cork settlage really a thing? As far as low setting, it’s my understanding the only difference in heat setting is time it takes to reach max temp, not max temp.

I haven’t found that to be the case with any of the ZipFit liners I’ve owned.

l have never noticed this either.. I have a few sets here. I use the high setting on my heated boot bag and no issues

Last edited:

marsound

Skier
Skier
Fitting a Gara LV into Head B3s.

My big toe on my slightly longer foot (right) is getting pushed past the end of the foot bed. Wondering what the best solution is for getting my heel back: should I try pushing cork around (in the Achilles bladder/pocket), remove cork from this pocket, put more cork in the tongue, or a combination of all of the above?

Thanks for any advice.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fitting a Gara LV into Head B3s.

My big toe on my slightly longer foot (right) is getting pushed past the end of the foot bed. Wondering what the best solution is for getting my heel back: should I try pushing cork around (in the Achilles bladder/pocket), remove cork from this pocket, put more cork in the tongue, or a combination of all of the above?

Thanks for any advice.
Make sure the liner is fully embedded into the heal cup of the shell. I had issues with that fitting stealth gara into Raptors. My foot was to far forward due to this problem.

marsound

Skier
Skier
Make sure the liner is fully embedded into the heal cup of the shell. I had issues with that fitting stealth gara into Raptors. My foot was to far forward due to this problem.
Thanks.
Is there a specific technique you use to get the liner fully embedded? Do I need to kick on the heel harder after heating the liner?

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
With the heated liner in the shell and then pump your foot 3 time up and down, and also knocking the heal of the boot on the floor seems to be the common process to seat the heal. Adding OMFIT to the tongue is also common suggestion to push your foot back. If your smaller foot is good then you should be able to get it to work(as long as you feet are not wildly different sizes). Make sure you get the liner heated properly so the spoiler inside can mould to the back of the shell. If your feet are not being killed by the fit then you should be able to get it working.
In my case the back of the stealth gara was just to bulky and stiff for the size of the shell and my foot. My foot was just to far forward and nothing was getting it close to skiable. After 3 months of trying, i just ended up getting different boots that fit much better(i know, not helpful here). The gara integrated to that shell very easily.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier

I had a similar problem, I caused it and I fixed it. In an attempt to get abit more heel snugness(skinny heels) I added cork to my rear bladders. Yes it gave me some more snugness there, but ultimately it pushed my foot forward. I removed that additional cork and installed it into my tongue bladder. That repositioned my foot back to where it was originally, and helped with the heel also. I did go back and added a smidge to those rear bladders afterwards. Its a fine line between too much and too little.

marsound

Skier
Skier
With the heated liner in the shell and then pump your foot 3 time up and down, and also knocking the heal of the boot on the floor seems to be the common process to seat the heal. Adding OMFIT to the tongue is also common suggestion to push your foot back. If your smaller foot is good then you should be able to get it to work(as long as you feet are not wildly different sizes). Make sure you get the liner heated properly so the spoiler inside can mould to the back of the shell. If your feet are not being killed by the fit then you should be able to get it working.
In my case the back of the stealth gara was just to bulky and stiff for the size of the shell and my foot. My foot was just to far forward and nothing was getting it close to skiable. After 3 months of trying, i just ended up getting different boots that fit much better(i know, not helpful here). The gara integrated to that shell very easily.
Thanks. My shell fit is really good - boots were fine with the original liners and Intuitions (which didn't last as long as advertised). I'll reheat and be a bit more aggressive with getting the heel back, and maybe add some OMFIT to the tongue.

marsound

Skier
Skier
I had a similar problem, I caused it and I fixed it. In an attempt to get abit more heel snugness(skinny heels) I added cork to my rear bladders. Yes it gave me some more snugness there, but ultimately it pushed my foot forward. I removed that additional cork and installed it into my tongue bladder. That repositioned my foot back to where it was originally, and helped with the heel also. I did go back and added a smidge to those rear bladders afterwards. Its a fine line between too much and too little.
Thanks, going to start with adding a bit to the tongue, maybe a 1/4 tube.

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
l have never noticed this either.. I have a few sets here. I use the high setting on my heated boot bag and no issues
Multiple boot fitters at Footloose (that also worked with Sven back in the day) mention this often enough that i follow it.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Added around 1/3rd a tube of omfit around the ankle area in a pair of Zipfits (2/3rds in total) - just a really modest amount really. It’s certainly not now over-tight and feels pretty right. A week’s skiing will tell the tale.

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
If I wanted to add cork to give the LV Corsa more of a mid volume fit like the Gara or World Cup , first can it be done and second anyone have any idea how much cork I would have to add?

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
I'm curious about moving from stock Lange RS liners to Zipfit (either Gara LV or Corsa, whichever makes sense given my downsized LV fit)... I really like the spoiler that comes with the Lange liner: how it takes up extra room in the top of the cuff, and positions me at a more forward angle to take up tension in my high mobility ankles. Will I be able to get the same effect from a Zipfit? (Note: I do use Zipfit GFTs in my tele boots and love them.)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm curious about moving from stock Lange RS liners to Zipfit (either Gara LV or Corsa, whichever makes sense given my downsized LV fit)... I really like the spoiler that comes with the Lange liner: how it takes up extra room in the top of the cuff, and positions me at a more forward angle to take up tension in my high mobility ankles. Will I be able to get the same effect from a Zipfit? (Note: I do use Zipfit GFTs in my tele boots and love them.)

No. You will need the spoilers. I am in ZipFit World Cup in my RS130 and I use the spoilers.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I wanted to add cork to give the LV Corsa more of a mid volume fit like the Gara or World Cup , first can it be done and second anyone have any idea how much cork I would have to add?
I suspect you‘d need to go to Zipfit for that.

I know I recently put in basically a finger to the first knuckle above and below the heel for my Garas on each side, and that seemed to make all the difference I needed, but that’s well below what Zipfit suggests. I guess it depends on how tight it is to start to work out how much to add.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January