• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
If I wanted to add cork to give the LV Corsa more of a mid volume fit like the Gara or World Cup , first can it be done and second anyone have any idea how much cork I would have to add?
Yes - i did something similar. My Corsas from last year were quite different compared to the old Garas... hardly any cork in the tongue and about the same amount in the ankles (using a Salmon SMax Race 96mm boot). I ended up with a full tube extra cork in each tongue to match the Gara's fit. Did it in 3 different sessions, adding a 1/3 each time as it's a pain to take cork out.

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
hardly any cork in the tongue and about the same amount in the ankles

That's right, the tongues are indeed very thin. The lower volume of the Corsa also comes from the lining - leather vs neoprene.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I'm curious about moving from stock Lange RS liners to Zipfit (either Gara LV or Corsa, whichever makes sense given my downsized LV fit)... I really like the spoiler that comes with the Lange liner: how it takes up extra room in the top of the cuff, and positions me at a more forward angle to take up tension in my high mobility ankles. Will I be able to get the same effect from a Zipfit? (Note: I do use Zipfit GFTs in my tele boots and love them.)

I just screwed the spoiler to the back of the shell - totally fine.

C08069A7-2DFE-40DD-8249-14A2552F5D3C.jpeg W

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
Yes - i did something similar. My Corsas from last year were quite different compared to the old Garas... hardly any cork in the tongue and about the same amount in the ankles (using a Salmon SMax Race 96mm boot). I ended up with a full tube extra cork in each tongue to match the Gara's fit. Did it in 3 different sessions, adding a 1/3 each time as it's a pain to take cork out.
I also submitted a question on the zip fit site about how much cork to add to to the Cora’s to get them from LV to MV. I suspect it will take a tube in each tongue and a 1/2 tube in each ankle pocket inside and outside on each liner, so 2 tubes per liner, 4 total.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
LV vs. HV...what is the difference? Is the LV thinner and the HV thicker, or what? Or is the LV thicker to take up more space for people with LV feet, and vice versa for the HV?

I have LV feet, kinda like carpenter's pencils, long, flat, narrow. And skinny ankles. Even in an LV shell, I need to add padding to a stock liner. Which ZipFit for me?

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe it’s more directed at the volume of the shell that you are using the liner with. That’s how I interpreted it when I bought a HV Gara to go with my Technica Mach HV.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
LV vs. HV...what is the difference? Is the LV thinner and the HV thicker, or what? Or is the LV thicker to take up more space for people with LV feet, and vice versa for the HV?

I have LV feet, kinda like carpenter's pencils, long, flat, narrow. And skinny ankles. Even in an LV shell, I need to add padding to a stock liner. Which ZipFit for me?
I've asked the same thing with no real answer. I have a hv foot with a snug fit. So do I need a hv liner or a lv liner?

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I would assume a HV but email them, they are good about pointing you in right direction. Worse case you get a LV and add cork to fill.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
HV has more Omfit than LV.

What will suit best isn’t solely a function of the boot itself, but how much space your foot takes up within the boot. Not much space between your foot and boot shell = LV. Middling amount of space = HV. Heaps of space = Freeride.

Zipfit won’t really have a clear idea on how much space there is just from an email exchange, helpful as they are, and they can narrow the range. A boot fitter is the best bet.

I know from experimentation that an old Grand Prix, which I think has similar Omfit to a contemporary Freeride, is just too plump. An HV Gara is probably right for me, but I also like a very tight fit

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
The leather liner is a very harsh fit. I only managed about 5 runs before I switched back to the stock intuition wrap liner. I’m gonna exchange these for a neoprene Gara

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you are being too hasty. I have the WCSW, and they felt terribly stiff when they first arrived. I started wearing them around the house over the past month, here and there when I was working at my desk. I have to say that before stepping out the door, they had already broken in quite a bit, and after skiing three days last week out at Snowbird, they are now incredibly supple. Of course, you may prefer the softer feel of the neoprene. For me, I know the leather will only get better and better.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
The leather liner is a very harsh fit. I only managed about 5 runs before I switched back to the stock intuition wrap liner. I’m gonna exchange these for a neoprene Gara
I have to confess I don’t find that. I have leather and Neoprene zipfits. aside from the leather ones being more squeaky when I walk I can’t tell much difference.

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
Unfortunately, haven’t been able to skied my Gara LV yet. Left boot feels great. Good amount of pressure on the outer right ankle bone while walking around for 45 minutes in Footloose. The boot fitter said ski them 3 to 5 days a HS they should be settling in. As Salvatore suggested, I’ll be wearing min around the house before my next trip.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I started wearing them because my feet blister easily. Whenever I change shoes, I am very prone to developing a blister until I develop a callous where there are hotspots. When the WCSW's arrived, they were rubbing my foot near the ankle and I immediately thought to purchase some Body Glide Foot Glide thinking I'd need it. After wearing them around the house, no problems whatsoever. I returned the Foot Glide unopened.

I read, probably in this thread, someone mentioned needing three solid days on the slopes to achieve bliss. Actually, maybe Jeff Colt said it in the video with Tom Gellie. I can attest to that number being quite accurate!

TheWombat

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm about to be 50 yrs old, and my wife has asked me what I want for my combined Christmas/Birthday present - assuming I wanted something skiing related (she is wise!). I'm therefore looking at getting some ZipFit liners and my research has brought me to this thread, which I've read and have a reasonable idea on what I am after, but wanted to put it out there for any second opinions.

I am an intermediate skier of 4-5 years, pushing hard to improve. I use Carv and at the end of last season I was typically in the SkiIQs of 120s with some low 130s. This year my goal is to be consistently in the 130s, with some 140s. I 100% ski groomers, almost always in North Carolina - east coast icy - and am really focused at present on getting my carving turns working well, and getting the high edge angles and early edging. I try to get on the slopes around 50-60 times in the season - sometimes it will be for hours, other times due to thick fog it may just be for a couple of runs.

Stats:
  • Height/Weight: 5'9" / 145 lbs
  • US Foot Size: 10.4 / 10.9 (see attached foot scan image)
  • Generally low arch/instep, narrow feet, although the foot scan shoes my heel width as wide but that could in part be due to some overpronation.

I currently wear Tecnica Mach 1 LV 120 boots. Mondo Point 265, Last 98mm. They fit fairly well with the stock liners, although there is a bit of movement of my foot.

I generally ski on Blizzard Firebird Competition 76 in size 166 (126/76/107/radius 14.5 meters) since the local Ski Resorts in North Carolina all have fairly short trail lengths my goal is usually to get a lot of turns in rather than go for all out speed. I have also just bought some Head WCR e-SL in size 155 (123/68/108/radius 10.7 meters) as I wanted to have skis that had a similar turning radius to my 9 year old's slalom race skis as she is in the local race team.

From going through the ZipFit survey I get 3 options depending if I select "Groomers and Cruisers" or 'Ski racing"
  • Groomers and Cruisers: Gara LV or Gara HV
  • Ski racing: Gara LV or Corsa
Unfortunately being in North Carolina there are not any ski shops that stock the Zipfits for me to try on with my boots before deciding. I am veering towards the Gara LV as the safe option to go for as assume the Corsa would be better in a narrower boot?

Thoughts?

Foot Scan 2022-04 - Volumental.png

Sponsor

Staff online