• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
Just had a look at this year's Corsa vs. my Corsa i picked up last year. Basically, it's a different liner and much more similar to a thin plug liner. The entire construction is more flexible and much thinner, in addition to having way less cork in the ankle pockets to start with. Breakin should be much quicker. This year's Corsa is too thin to be used in my Atomic CS 130, and maybe even too thin for me to want to try to use in my plug Fischer RC4 Podium (i'll probably do a Gara LV in the plug).

The shop also had the Gara LV in stock. More similar to my old Gara from approx. 8 years ago. If you've had the old liners, the new model isn't quite as plush or high-quality as the old liners (but still very good). Seems like the leather is stiffer and/or the neoprene and padding is thinner or stiffer.

If you do have a new model with stiff leather and want to speed up the break-in process, i highly encourage you to use a good leather conditioner/oil (e.g. Saphir Mink Oil) - a couple of think applications of oil and leaving overnight in the heated boot bag seems to have finally turned the leather supple. Now that my "2021-22" Corsa is broken in, it actually fits well in the Fischer plug (before it was unskiable for me in the plug).

Reactions: BMC

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
The shop also had the Gara LV in stock. More similar to my old Gara from approx. 8 years ago. If you've had the old liners, the new model isn't quite as plush or high-quality as the old liners (but still very good). Seems like the leather is stiffer and/or the neoprene and padding is thinner or stiffer.
Bet the price didn't go down since 8 years ago...

Brewster

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all, this is my first post and I've tried to wade through the previous posts in this forum but only so much time.

I'm a ski professional and I've completely packed out my Cochise 120 liner within 60 days of use. I do walk about 5 miles a day due to my responsibilities plus just the type of skiing I do. My foot is now in a bunch of pain.

I'm going to see my boot fitter today for a temporary fix but do any professionals have experience here with zipfit and their durability. If I just skied in them I could see them lasting a long time but I put my boots (and feet) through hell. I'm just trying to see if I should splurge or go with intuitions.

Thanks All!

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
Just got my first pair of ZipFits yesterday, and here are my first impressions. Skiing them tomorrow and will follow up.

Boots: This year’ss (2022/2023) Head Raptor WCR 140S, 27.5.

I actually bought Lange RS130 LV earlier this year (after over 20 year in various models of Tecnica Mach1 LV, and Diablo before that - remember those?), but the Langes turned out to be too soft for my liking (selling them with only a few days on them, ping me if interested).

I’m new to ZipFits so I read a lot of posts on this forum, and online. I went to the website and did the quiz to see which liner they recommend for me. It recommended the Corsa (27.5) for my Raptors, but Gara LV (27.5) for the the Langes and Tecnicas (all 27.5, I still have both, in addition to the Raptors).

Upon reading a little more on the Corsa vs Gara LV, I decided to go with the Gara LV, and I’m glad I did. I have fairly narrow feet, ankles and calves (despite being 6’1”, 185lbs, athletic and long distance runner) and all LV boots (save I guess for plug boots) always seemed to have just a tad too much room for me in the ankle/heel department, so I decided on the Gara, as it has more volume than the Corsa.

The Gara LV 27.5 so far fits in the Raptors no problem (racer style, at room temp). When I opened the package from ZipFit, I put my custom footbeds in, put the liners on and laced them. Then I used LindseyB’s technique (look up on YouTube) to get into the Raptors. No issues whatsoever. The inside of the Raptors is very high quality - nice smooth plastic everywhere, which helps.

To buckle the shell initially I had to do the second buckle first (top buckles were too far apart to hook up), and then then I was able to hook up the top buckles, it was smooth sailing from there.

The heel hold immediately was much better than the stock Raptor liner, although with a few hot spots around my heels and ankles. I then went through one cycle of putting the liners in the oven (but not the shells), put on, lace, get into shells, and walked / edged around my living room for 30 mins or so. They’re already fitting better. Obviously will see how they do on snow, but so far I’m sold. They do add a little more stiffness (side to side, but not fore/aft, to the Raptors)

Only one downside compared to the stock Raptor liner is that the stock liner’s tongue seems to reach higher up my shin, which I like. The ZipFits seem a touch lower.

But all in all I’m very excited - after years of struggling with all my liners packing and heel hold becoming sloppy, this feels much more robust, my heel/ankle feels like encased in cement after the liner cooled down.

Sizing wise, I wear 10 or 10.5 shoes, measure 275, and always been in 275 ski boots. I tried 265 in the past to improve heel hold, but was too cramped. What I like about the Gara LV / Raptor combination is that the fit is extremely snug and secure, but my toes are not cramped. Maybe it’s because of the “Extended Toe Box” of the Raptors (whatever that means), although the Raptors are actually 314 BSL, comped to 316BSL on the Lange 130 RS LV. My toes felt somewhat cramped in stock liners both in the Langes and the Raptors.

Also - what do people do with the laces? They’re long when cinched up, and pretty annoying, I think I’m just going to stick the ends into my socks above the boot…

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Yarecki - I'm an 11 mostly in street and dress shoes, sometimes can squeeze into a 10.5, but toe nails suffer. Been in a 27.5 boot since I really had somebody do it properly. In a Gara LV zipfit in a RS130LV shell. Basically the thought with the laces is you roll them up in a little package and velcro them down with the zip fit strap at the top.

However, I don't use that thing so, just roll up the laces and stick them between the tongue and the outside lip of the liner to start and then just put them between the shell and the tongue after I am in. never touch them again, unless I stop for an extended period, and am going back out - ie. lunch.

Enjoy - I wish that they would make and all leather model again, and the tongues were thicker - I've probably added a tube cork each.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just got my first pair of ZipFits yesterday, and here are my first impressions. Skiing them tomorrow and will follow up.

I actually bought Lange RS130 LV earlier this year (after over 20 year in various models of Tecnica Mach1 LV, and Diablo before that - remember those?), but the Langes turned out to be too soft for my liking (selling them with only a few days on them, ping me if interested).

I’m new to ZipFits so I read a lot of posts on this forum, and online. I went to the website and did the quiz to see which liner they recommend for me. It recommended the Corsa (27.5) for my Raptors, but Gara LV (27.5) for the the Langes and Tecnicas (all 27.5, I still have both, in addition to the Raptors).

Upon reading a little more on the Corsa vs Gara LV, I decided to go with the Gara LV, and I’m glad I did. I have fairly narrow feet, ankles and calves (despite being 6’1”, 185lbs, athletic and long distance runner) and all LV boots (save I guess for plug boots) always seemed to have just a tad too much room for me in the ankle/heel department, so I decided on the Gara, as it has more volume than the Corsa.

The Gara LV 27.5 so far fits in the Raptors no problem (racer style, at room temp). When I opened the package from ZipFit, I put my custom footbeds in, put the liners on and laced them. Then I used LindseyB’s technique (look up on YouTube) to get into the Raptors. No issues whatsoever. The inside of the Raptors is very high quality - nice smooth plastic everywhere, which helps.

To buckle the shell initially I had to do the second buckle first (top buckles were too far apart to hook up), and then then I was able to hook up the top buckles, it was smooth sailing from there.

The heel hold immediately was much better than the stock Raptor liner, although with a few hot spots around my heels and ankles. I then went through one cycle of putting the liners in the oven (but not the shells), put on, lace, get into shells, and walked / edged around my living room for 30 mins or so. They’re already fitting better. Obviously will see how they do on snow, but so far I’m sold. They do add a little more stiffness (side to side, but not fore/aft, to the Raptors)

Only one downside compared to the stock Raptor liner is that the stock liner’s tongue seems to reach higher up my shin, which I like. The ZipFits seem a touch lower.

But all in all I’m very excited - after years of struggling with all my liners packing and heel hold becoming sloppy, this feels much more robust, my heel/ankle feels like encased in cement after the liner cooled down.

Sizing wise, I wear 10 or 10.5 shoes, measure 275, and always been in 275 ski boots. I tried 265 in the past to improve heel hold, but was too cramped. What I like about the Gara LV / Raptor combination is that the fit is extremely snug and secure, but my toes are not cramped. Maybe it’s because of the “Extended Toe Box” of the Raptors (whatever that means), although the Raptors are actually 314 BSL, comped to 316BSL on the Lange 130 RS LV. My toes felt somewhat cramped in stock liners both in the Langes and the Raptors.

Also - what do people do with the laces? They’re long when cinched up, and pretty annoying, I think I’m just going to stick the ends into my socks above the boot…
Im glad you’re enjoying the choice so far!

On your question, I tie off my laces to the top front loop on the Zipfit liner. It doesn’t take up all of the length, but shortens it. Then I just tuck it under the powder skirt thing of my ski pants and that seems to work fine.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Jeronimo - I don't need them but will probably get them if its a GARA LV and that nice leather - those OG ones are incredible. I believe the one this year were a HV model. The old ones were basically a GARA LV with glove leather inside and out.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Jeronimo - I don't need them but will probably get them if its a GARA LV and that nice leather - those OG ones are incredible. I believe the one this year were a HV model. The old ones were basically a GARA LV with glove leather inside and out.
Well, give me a holler if you see them pop up cause I don't know what I'm looking at when it comes to these things since I thought the only leather model was the "workhorse"

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Jeronimo - here is a picture of the old Gara w/ leather on outside (left) - they came like this with leather inside lining as well. Not my picture

4892A549-2643-4227-B52A-5A1A731CE82A.jpeg

Judge Smails

Booting up
Skier
Hi all, this is my first post and I've tried to wade through the previous posts in this forum but only so much time.

I'm a ski professional and I've completely packed out my Cochise 120 liner within 60 days of use. I do walk about 5 miles a day due to my responsibilities plus just the type of skiing I do. My foot is now in a bunch of pain.

I'm going to see my boot fitter today for a temporary fix but do any professionals have experience here with zipfit and their durability. If I just skied in them I could see them lasting a long time but I put my boots (and feet) through hell. I'm just trying to see if I should splurge or go with intuitions.

Thanks All!
I think you will be psyched if you splurge for zipfits.

I have some serious fit issues given odd shaped feet - 25 length, 27+ over the top. I had one foam liner that was the best thing that every happened to my skiing - it's held together by duct tape. I haven't been able to replace it until Zipfits.

Heel hold is incredible, and they are also comfy as hell. Dream combination. I ski hard and have high expectations for my equipment and these really are everything I could ask for. It took me two tries to mold them they way I wanted, but once I did I couldn't be happier.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier

Just got back from first full day of skiing with my new Gara LVs. Super happy - kind of pinching myself that I’m not having any issues so far! Heal hold is great, no pain points, and they do stiffen up the boot. I don’t have to buckle up nearly as tight as I had to with the stock liners (at least not yet).

The only slight consideration is that I wish the tongue reached higher up my shin, and was a little thicker. The latter probably easily remedied with some of OMFit to the tongue, which I may do at some point. But otherwise it’s magic so far…

The little ratchet thingy that cinches the laces is total crap though, one of them already lost the little plastic wheel that makes it work, seems like an absolute afterthought… I just do up the laces manually now.

Huge shout out to LindseyB (how do I link to his profile?) for the advice and YouTube video of his method of putting ZipFits on and off (toes straight down into the shell and knee to the floor). Working great for me.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
I think you will be psyched if you splurge for zipfits.

I have some serious fit issues given odd shaped feet - 25 length, 27+ over the top. I had one foam liner that was the best thing that every happened to my skiing - it's held together by duct tape. I haven't been able to replace it until Zipfits.

Heel hold is incredible, and they are also comfy as hell. Dream combination. I ski hard and have high expectations for my equipment and these really are everything I could ask for. It took me two tries to mold them they way I wanted, but once I did I couldn't be happier.

Yes - pretty psyched so far, see my other post.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just got back from first full day of skiing with my new Gara LVs. Super happy - kind of pinching myself that I’m not having any issues so far! Heal hold is great, no pain points, and they do stiffen up the boot. I don’t have to buckle up nearly as tight as I had to with the stock liners (at least not yet).

The only slight consideration is that I wish the tongue reached higher up my shin, and was a little thicker. The latter probably easily remedied with some of OMFit to the tongue, which I may do at some point. But otherwise it’s magic so far…

The little ratchet thingy that cinches the laces is total crap though, one of them already lost the little plastic wheel that makes it work, seems like an absolute afterthought… I just do up the laces manually now.

Huge shout out to LindseyB (how do I link to his profile?) for the advice and YouTube video of his method of putting ZipFits on and off (toes straight down into the shell and knee to the floor). Working great for me.
I still use the ratchet but don’t expect it to hold a super tight lace fit. I just get it snug with the laces and ratchet and then rely on the boot closure itself from there.

It’s sure not “industrial strength” for sure, but it seems much the same as similar fittings on other shoes I’ve seen!

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
I still use the ratchet but don’t expect it to hold a super tight lace fit. I just get it snug with the laces and ratchet and then rely on the boot closure itself from there.

It’s sure not “industrial strength” for sure, but it seems much the same as similar fittings on other shoes I’ve seen!

For the price I do expect it to be “industrial strength”!!!

Sponsor