• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
I love my ZipFits so far, what an amazing product. What pisses me off though, is what a shoestring operation this “company” is…
- Always out of the cork tubes… Seriously, if you’re selling your product based on how customizable it is, you better stock the cork. Without that your product does not perform to specifications. Again - customization is one of the selling points, without the cork one can’t customize the liners
- How difficult is it to keep the product description and pictures on your website up to date??? I just bought the Corsa, the product you get is different from the picture on the website. If it wasn’t from this forum, I wouldn’t know what I’m getting. Again - how difficult is it to update the SINGLE picture you have on your website of an item you’re selling for $500???
- The “Resources” tab of the website is laughable… For example, go to “Adding Omfit Cork” section (and forget for a second they’re always out of stock of said Omfit). There’s not a single picture / diagram of where the cork chambers are, what each of them does, how best to add cork, etc. What a joke… How long would it take to include a few pictures with actual instructions? Or at least a link to the YouTube video?

It’s like they actually don’t want people to buy the product, and want to make it really confusing…

End rant. I guess it’s only for really hard-core skiers like ourselves who frequent this forum.

Zipfit has always been run on a shoestring, Sven Coomer used to run it from his garage. When Chris Dominick took it over they relocated to a rural property they call “shredquarters”. https://soprissun.com/zipfit-reboots-in-carbondale/ The Zipfit YouTube channel has some videos of the inside, as you can see it’s very basic.

The web site was put together by some guys in Sweden, it looks like it’s still work in progress. There is a video on how to add more OMFit in the shop section. The videos that Sven made a few years ago are also still available https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHMkcUkTq4ed4uC4cjlglo5cr_QhsN0Tt courtesy of their Korean distributor.

If you can’t get hold of any OMFit, you could try making your own, it looks to me like it could be a mixture of granulated cork and oil/wax-based modeling clay.

Zipfit is not the only supplier of cork composite filled liners, a boot fitter based in France https://www.total-feet.com/en/home/ has also started to sell his own design https://www.ultimatefitliners.com/en/home/ The Italian company Topeca Srl http://www.nevadalabs.it/indexen.html makes a liner that is similar to the Zipfit and may also be the company that supplies the bladders and the cork filler for the Zipfit liners. The owner, Vanio Tessaro invented the foam filled liner, and he is also listed as one of the inventors on Head’s patent for their Liquid Fit liner.

Reactions: BMC

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
frankenboot.jpg

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
Bought a pair of Zipfit Gara LVs last week for my Lange RX low volume boots. Really enjoying them so far. One question - The blue leather on the outside of the Zipfits is really stiff and creasing from ankle flex. Do people use leather conditioner to break in that blue leather? Or just leave as is?

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
Bought a pair of Zipfit Gara LVs last week for my Lange RX low volume boots. Really enjoying them so far. One question - The blue leather on the outside of the Zipfits is really stiff and creasing from ankle flex. Do people use leather conditioner to break in that blue leather? Or just leave as is?
I think no matter what you do, the outside leather will crease. But conditioning it will help speed up the molding and break-in process. (the leather seems a lot stiffer than what they used 8+ years ago on my first garas)

The gara with the neoprene lining is a way more comfy liner compared to last years Corsa, but i still put a few good coats of leather conditioner on my Gara to help soften it up (and turn on the boot bag heater overnight to let it really soak in). I used Saphir mink oil (about $30 on amazon) because it seems to have the least amount of additives in it, but i'm sure most leather conditioners will be fine.

Doublegreen

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m not an expert on leather conditioners, but will mink oil clog the pores and hamper the breathability of the leather? It’s also sticky, that could be good or bad. Mink oil is a natural waterproofing oil used a lot on hunting boots, but I usually just use Red Wing natural boot oil conditioner because everything sticks to mink oil.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Obenauf's is exactly what I was thinking.

It is typically my first choice for all things leather, but to be honest I haven't used it on my Zipfits because I haven't seen a need to condition them. Now I'm considering it for my Corsas.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you want just pure leather conditioner without waxes, at a good price, I can suggest bick4. I'm sure there are other options too, but this is not expensive and meets the criteria. Explicitly says does not darken or clog leather pores or be sticky.

I haven't used it on zipfits, just dress shoes, but as far as skiing goes I've also used it on gloves to pre moisturize the leather and rehydrate the hestra or ftp leatherbalm as my tins have gotten a little dried out.

Last edited:

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m not an expert on leather conditioners, but will mink oil clog the pores and hamper the breathability of the leather? It’s also sticky, that could be good or bad. Mink oil is a natural waterproofing oil used a lot on hunting boots, but I usually just use Red Wing natural boot oil conditioner because everything sticks to mink oil.
The stuff i'm using has worked well on both pairs for me. Rub a light layer in, leave it to soak in, then give it a light polish to remove any excess. I've never had any excess come off and it's not sticky.

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
If you want just pure leather conditioner without waxes, at a good price, I can suggest bick4. I'm sure there are other options too, but this is not expensive and meets the criteria. Explicitly says does not darken or clog leather pores or be sticky.

I haven't used it on zipfits, just dress shoes, but as far as skiing goes I've also used it on gloves to pre moisturize the leather and rehydrate the hestra or ftp leatherbalm as my tins have gotten a little dried out.

I actually gave some Bick 4 for boots. Good idea!

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
After reading back in this thread I kind of regret not getting the Workhorse over the Gara HV for the leather lining. I’m a big fan of leather and can see there would be big benefits from it.

A week ago I posted about needing OMfit for my Gara HV’s, I was able to find some in Montana, don’t even remember which shop it was because I called just about everyone listed on the Zipfit website. Received two tubes and put them in left liner, mostly in the lower tongue and 1/4 on each side in the Achilles area because I had no contact there on my left foot. I must have the skinniest legs ever (kind of already knew that though) because I need more in the tongue. As suggested I’m going to leave the heel pockets alone and focus on the tongue. I just wish my left foot felt like my right foot, which is perfect. I can fit two fingers between my shin and the tongue at the top and I can slide two fingers flat down my shin. Now I just wait for Zipfit to get more OMfit, should be this week they said.
Anything else I should try/be aware of?

p.s. I put my original Cochise liners in to see the difference, I never had a chance with those liners.
This is kinda where I'm stuck at right now. I'd love to hear from anyone that has tried or felt both. I love the idea of the workhorse but I can't help but wonder if the Gara may have a higher performance ceiling? Or is the difference moot?

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
How much cork can be added to the tongues? I have the Gara LV in Lange RX LV boots and last week my shop put a full tube in each tongue. The added cork has helped but still feels like the tongue provides no cushion to my (skinny) lower leg.

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
How much cork can be added to the tongues? I have the Gara LV in Lange RX LV boots and last week my shop put a full tube in each tongue. The added cork has helped but still feels like the tongue provides no cushion to my (skinny) lower leg.
Same liner and an RS130 LV. I have probably over a tube in each side, might add more. I guess when it comes out the top you will know.

Doublegreen

Putting on skis
Skier
I thought I read back in this thread that someone with a Corsa, the lowest volume, added 5 tubes without issue??

Sponsor