• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
For those with experience in both; are the new Corsas with the replaceable tongue actually lower volume than the older, labelled Corsa 92?

Bennet, I'm seconding the recommendation of targeting the heel hugging area first.

I'm in between where a plug liner gives me a touch better circulation than my Corsas in WCR140s, and my Corsas (used in Dobermann 98mm last season) are bunching on the high volume side just above the navicular bone, would really love if Zipfit just had that area covered in plastic.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For those with experience in both; are the new Corsas with the replaceable tongue actually lower volume than the older, labelled Corsa 92?
That's a good question. I don't have experience with the Corsa 92, but I believe I remember from an interview with Jeff Colt (maybe it was with Jonathan Ellsworth?) that yes, the new Corsa was slimmer. Hopefully someone has both styles.

My only other Zipfit is the WCSW. That one is quite bulky because of the added material along the inside of each liner. Oddly enough, I think with those I experience the same sensation you are describing above the navicular bone. That was in a pair of Head Formula boots, though, as I can't imagine squeezing them into my WCR 140s.

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
That's a good question. I don't have experience with the Corsa 92, but I believe I remember from an interview with Jeff Colt (maybe it was with Jonathan Ellsworth?) that yes, the new Corsa was slimmer. Hopefully someone has both styles.

My only other Zipfit is the WCSW. That one is quite bulky because of the added material along the inside of each liner. Oddly enough, I think with those I experience the same sensation you are describing above the navicular bone. That was in a pair of Head Formula boots, though, as I can't imagine squeezing them into my WCR 140s.
Hah! I first tried Gara LVs in the Dobies. That didn't work. I could squeeze them in there in room temp, but couldn't imagine getting them on, let alone ski in them in any sort of winter temp!

I'll stick with the plug liners for the beginning of the season, the Corsas do pretty well in my touring boots (read: make Lupos feel almost Alpine like).

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
When people talk about a shell fit of 10-15 mm (just an example), where behind the heel is that being measured? Like from the back of the heel to back of the shell heel pocket? Or back of the heel to the back of the boot board?

When I do a shell fit, its kinda hard get a sharpie or finger into the heel pocket because shell above the heel pock (like above my Achilles) is closer to my leg. If that makes sense.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
My take would be that if your toe is just touching the front of the shell, measuring between the achillies and the back of the shell is probably as good as you're going to get. Sounds like you have a nice snug fit!

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
My take would be that if your toe is just touching the front of the shell, measuring between the achillies and the back of the shell is probably as good as you're going to get. Sounds like you have a nice snug fit!
Are you saying between the Achilles and back of the shell in the heel pocket or at the top / above the heel pocket?

My foot measures around 245 mm (might be closer to 250mm) and I wear sz 24.5, so seems snug enough, but not a race fit. I’ve done a shell fit in sz 23.5 of the same boot and that felt like a race fit. Would need a very thin liner, and probably a punch for length.

Last edited:

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Are you saying between the Achilles and back of the shell in the heel pocket or at the top / above the heel pocket?

My foot measures around 245 mm (might be closer to 250mm) and I wear sz 24.5, so seems snug enough, but not a race fit. I’ve done a shell fit in sz 23.5 of the same boot and that felt like a race fit. Would need a very thin liner, and probably a punch for length.
I was saying between the Achilles and back of the shell above the heel pocket; hopefully it's proximal enough to the heel <-> heel cup spacing (which we can't see).

My feet measure 265 and 267mm and I'm in a Lange RS 25.5 shell (with almost enough grinding/punching for the big toe). I have about 9mm or so between achilles and the back of the shell.

Jeff@ZipFit

Booting up
Manufacturer

Bennet, I'm seconding the recommendation of targeting the heel hugging area first.

I'm in between where a plug liner gives me a touch better circulation than my Corsas in WCR140s, and my Corsas (used in Dobermann 98mm last season) are bunching on the high volume side just above the navicular bone, would really love if Zipfit just had that area covered in plastic.
Yes!

The 2023/24 update also has some nice alterations over the instep to reduce pressure over the top of the foot. The updated Corsa is completely redesigned from the older "Corsa 92" that didn't have a removable tongue.

The side panels have a different construction, the construction of the sole, outsole, and strobel stitching is different, it fits a 91-93mm shell, which the previous model did not fit. Still all leather interior, stiff cuff, removable tongue. If you'd like to learn more, check out the Big Picture Skiing podcast I did with Tom Gellie.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Some have tried them without laces and left them in, but many have warned that if you leave them in the shell there’s a good chance you can rearrange the cork in the heel pocket when trying to squeeze in. YMMV.

Sounds like have similar feet to you. they recommend not adding cork to the heel pocket, at least at first. Start with tongue for heel hold problems. For me, on My achilles, I added a quarter tube on each side because I had no contact there and I worked the cork into the doughnut pocket for Achilles, problem solved.

You have learned well young padawan... perfect advice.

Seems like you may have read this entire thread. ;) :)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
We have missed your wisdom
Hope you are doing well

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Let's just say that I'm doing better. Still fighting some injuries, but the major one that caused me to miss another entire season is currently being held in check. I am going for another comeback. Seems like it's the umpteen millionth time...

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the kind thoughts. Let's just say that I'm doing better. Still fighting some injuries, but the major one that caused me to miss another entire season is currently being held in check. I am going for another comeback. Seems like it's the umpteen millionth time...
I'm really glad to see you back! I don't know what happened but good luck with whatever you're dealing with.

Reactions: BMC

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Noodler welcome back, glad you are back on the mend ... again, did you at least play some golf this summer?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@Noodler welcome back, glad you are back on the mend ... again, did you at least play some golf this summer?

Unfortunately, believe it or not, it was golf that caused me to lose an entire ski season (and I also lost this entire last golf season). I ended my ski season after the Aspen gathering a bit early due to some Achilles tendonitis issues, but in August 2022 I screwed up my right hip playing golf. Started out thinking it was just a hip flexor problem (iliopsoas), but later an MRI showed anterior and posterior tears in the hip labrum. That hip problem killed me. Couldn't walk for more than 20 yards without having to start limping. Took a lot of therapy and cortisone shots (directly into the hip joint) to finally have it mostly under control. I'm too young for hip replacement, but too old to have a successful surgery be likely. So I'm stuck in this limbo period where I just have to find ways to deal with the pain.

I still don't know what's going to happen with that hip until I make some ski turns. I could go through all this effort and find out that I still can't actually ski. I also am dealing with biceps tendinopathy (long head biceps tendon doesn't want to stay in the bicipital groove, also a golf injury!). I don't think the arm will keep me off the slopes though... Great to hear from you. Hopefully we'll get to share some turns again in the future...

Last edited:

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
For the newest Zipfit Corsa model with a removable tongue, is it possible to put a non-Zipfit tongue on the Corsa, such as a tongue from a plug liner? I assume so given it looks like the Corsa tongue Velcros on like any other liner with a removable tongue, but I haven't seen any posts where people have done that, so just curious.

My Gara's are very tight in my new shells (Tecnica Mach 1 LV), so considering ordering Corsa liners to try them. There shouldn't be much cork in the Gara tongues - I had added 1 tube per tongue because there was seemingly almost none to begin with, and would prefer not to modify the bootboard yet as I'm still experimenting with other liners in these shells.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
For the newest Zipfit Corsa model with a removable tongue, is it possible to put a non-Zipfit tongue on the Corsa, such as a tongue from a plug liner? I assume so given it looks like the Corsa tongue Velcros on like any other liner with a removable tongue, but I haven't seen any posts where people have done that, so just curious.

My Gara's are very tight in my new shells (Tecnica Mach 1 LV), so considering ordering Corsa liners to try them. There shouldn't be much cork in the Gara tongues - I had added 1 tube per tongue because there was seemingly almost none to begin with, and would prefer not to modify the bootboard yet as I'm still experimenting with other liners in these shells.

The thing is, historically there never really was much difference in the actual liner models... only differences in the amount of OMFit cork they started with. However, it does look like the new version of the Corsa is a different beast. I have not seen it live and they don't have it on the web site yet (still). Only pic I've seen of it is in this thread.

So the recommendation would still be to remove a bunch of the OMFit from your Garas before you decide to plunk down a chunk of money on the Corsa. There is info in this thread on how to remove the compound (or I could repost it if you can't find it).

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
The thing is, historically there never really was much difference in the actual liner models... only differences in the amount of OMFit cork they started with. However, it does look like the new version of the Corsa is a different beast. I have not seen it live and they don't have it on the web site yet (still). Only pic I've seen of it is in this thread.

So the recommendation would still be to remove a bunch of the OMFit from your Garas before you decide to plunk down a chunk of money on the Corsa. There is info in this thread on how to remove the compound (or I could repost it if you can't find it).
Thanks, I’ll think about that.

And yes, new Corsa model is supposed to actually be very low volume - similar (or at least much closer) in volume to a plug liner. See this video Zipfit posted a few months ago:

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier

I've got the prior model Corsa (in a plug boot 92mm), and the current Gara LV (in Atomic Redster CS 96mm) and checked out the new Corsa last spring. The new Corsa is similar to the volume of a plug liner (basically like a thick sock compared to your Gara liner).

As Noodler suggested, take some material out of the Gara. The new Corsa will be way too loose in your Technica 98mm shell (you would probably need at least 4+ tubes of cork per liner - if not more - to get the Corsa to fit in your Technicas with the new Corsas). Far simpler to take a little cork out of your Gara's depending on where it is too tight (and that's what they're designed to do). Of course, this assumes you've had the liners heated up and broken them in for a few days (and skiing is the best thing to do to break them in).

Sponsor

Staff online