• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
I've got the prior model Corsa (in a plug boot 92mm), and the current Gara LV (in Atomic Redster CS 96mm) and checked out the new Corsa last spring. The new Corsa is similar to the volume of a plug liner (basically like a thick sock compared to your Gara liner).

As Noodler suggested, take some material out of the Gara. The new Corsa will be way too loose in your Technica 98mm shell (you would probably need at least 4+ tubes of cork per liner - if not more - to get the Corsa to fit in your Technicas with the new Corsas). Far simpler to take a little cork out of your Gara's depending on where it is too tight (and that's what they're designed to do). Of course, this assumes you've had the liners heated up and broken them in for a few days (and skiing is the best thing to do to break them in).
Thanks for the info. In the Tecnica Mach 1 LV, my Gara liners are tightest over the instep. As are my broken-in Lange RX liners I have tried in them as well.

I need to heat the Zips for the Tecnica shells (they were heated for my Lange RX), just haven’t gotten around to how to heat at home.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new Corsa will be way too loose in your Technica 98mm shell (you would probably need at least 4+ tubes of cork per liner - if not more - to get the Corsa to fit in your Technicas with the new Corsas). Far simpler to take a little cork out of your Gara's depending on where it is too tight (and that's what they're designed to do).
Agree 100%. I have the new Corsas in my Raptor WCR 140 and I've put a lot of cork into them to finally get them right. That is on top of the fact I sized up in the liners (26.5 in a 25.5 shell).

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks for the info. In the Tecnica Mach 1 LV, my Gara liners are tightest over the instep. As are my broken-in Lange RX liners I have tried in them as well.

I need to heat the Zips for the Tecnica shells (they were heated for my Lange RX), just haven’t gotten around to how to heat at home.

To just get the OMFit compound moving, it doesn't take a lot of heat. 150* F for 10 minutes (ideally in a convection oven) is plenty of heat to fit the liners. If you're interested in getting the exterior of the liners to break-in a bit more to match the contours of the shell, then more heat should be used, but care must be taken. I was going as high as 225* F for many years with the older generations of the liners, but I would definitely pull that down a bit for the new iterations. I'd start at 175* F and see how well it gets the job done. Of course be sure to remove any footbeds from the liners before heating.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
And as you break in your Gara's, the OMFit should move around to allow your foot to migrate back more deeply into the heel pocket, hopefully providing some relief for the instep pressure.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Thanks for the kind thoughts. Let's just say that I'm doing better. Still fighting some injuries, but the major one that caused me to miss another entire season is currently being held in check. I am going for another comeback. Seems like it's the umpteen millionth time...
Welcome back !

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Last season I changes shells mid-season from Raptor Pros to Atomic Redster ti130. The redsters are abit narrower last 96 vs 98 if my memory is working. I skied the stock atomic liners for the remainder of the year. Today I decided was the day to try and get my freeride liners set up for the atomics. I knew alot of cork was going to need to be removed. So with a heat gun, empty om-fit plunger tube and some patience I started to remove cork. I knew i need some removed from the heel pocket, and the tongue. I wasnt too scientific, i just dug out as much as I could. I can actually get my foot into the shell and liner now, but its way too tight to actually ski or even type this. I think if I do another round of heating the liner in the oven, remove more from the tongue and I maybe close enough to try it…

IMG_7489.jpeg
The two liners before, the size difference is huge. I could barely get the liner into the shell, with no foot in it!
IMG_7492.jpeg

The harvest.
IMG_7491.jpeg

My foot is in, but pretty painful.

Reactions: BMC

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
^^^^^ - a good tip is to weigh your liners (usually before and after cork addition/removal).

Looks like you are going to need a good bit of baking to make a Freeride work in a 96mm last. Not really the application for that model, but I think you could make it work with some patience. Do NOT heat the shell (you would have some serious "buyer's remorse" if you go that route).

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Not really the application for that model, but I think you could make it work with some patience

exactly! If I didn't already own these i would order a different model. Im not 100% sure these are going to work yet, but Ive got the time to tinker at the moment.

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
I had a discount lying around at 30% off at a store that sells Zips. Corsas at my foot measurement (27.5) coming up! Real interested to see if that solves my issues with the 26.5s I skied through last season (too short, curls toes). These ones work perfectly well in my Lupos(enormous toe box).

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I had a discount lying around at 30% off at a store that sells Zips. Corsas at my foot measurement (27.5) coming up! Real interested to see if that solves my issues with the 26.5s I skied through last season (too short, curls toes). These ones work perfectly well in my Lupos(enormous toe box).

Keep in mind that ZipFit liners are designed to "fit like a sock". You're not supposed to have open space for your toes at the end of a ZipFit liner. They should be snug (but not overly tight).

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
Keep in mind that ZipFit liners are designed to "fit like a sock". You're not supposed to have open space for your toes at the end of a ZipFit liner. They should be snug (but not overly tight).
Yeah, I know. My only issue is toe curling in the 26.5s, thinking they are that cm short. No issues getting other 27.5 liners in there, so will be exciting to see if this is the magic bullet. Cheers!

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I know. My only issue is toe curling in the 26.5s, thinking they are that cm short. No issues getting other 27.5 liners in there, so will be exciting to see if this is the magic bullet. Cheers!
I have the WCSW and the new Corsa. My WCSW is 25.5 and it fits perfect. When I ordered the new Corsa in the same size, however, it was really snug in the toebox. Too much. Placing the two liners side-by-side confirmed that there was a big difference in length.

I opted to go one size larger in the Corsa and now run a 26.5 in my 25.5 Raptor shell.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I was cleaning up my den today and going through a bunch of old ski equipment catalogs and stuff from the Snow Show over the years. While cleaning I stumbled onto this old ZipFit brochure that they were handing out. This was their model line-up (notice it's when they still used leather on the exterior, none of that honeycomb jazz going on)...

20231016_000740435_iOS.jpg

Now read the copy carefully for each of the models. Note what the Gara was intended for...

So this is why I keep reminding folks that it's important to specify the model year for the liner you're discussing or interested in. Just like skis, the same model names have been used year-over-year and "evolved" with each iteration. My old-school Gara with the soft leather exterior is in my Head Raptor B2 RD (150 flex plug) and it's definitely a very low volume liner. I truly wonder how that liner compares with the new Corsa.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
They were all for such narrow feet. What do they have for a 116 width in a 27.5?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I just remembered that I had taken shots of an older Gara (2017) vs. a newer Gara (2021). I found them. Fairly sure I posted these before, but here they are again since I just mentioned this subject.

Old ZipFit Gara vs New 1.jpg

Old ZipFit Gara vs New 2.jpg

Old ZipFit Gara vs New 3.jpg

You can see the fairly clear difference in overall volume (they're both 25.5 size) even though the new liner wasn't yet fit to a boot shell.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
They were all for such narrow feet. What do they have for a 116 width in a 27.5?

I'd like to help, but I'm missing context for your question. Are you saying that the ZipFit liners are for narrow feet? If so, you're misunderstanding the way these liners are constructed since they will easily adapt to whatever width foot you bring to the party. The bigger issue is getting the shell width correct.

That said, how are you measuring the width of your feet? I ask because most folks do it incorrectly. Your foot should be supported by a good footbed when measured (just as it would be when inside your boot). If you're measuring the width of your unsupported foot, it will measure wider than it will be in the boot.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That said, how are you measuring the width of your feet? I ask because most folks do it incorrectly. Your foot should be supported by a good footbed when measured (just as it would be when inside your boot). If you're measuring the width of your unsupported foot, it will measure wider than it will be in the boot.
Just wanted to quote this for emphasis! Excellent info, and I'd add that this is also a factor with regards to length as well.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just remembered that I had taken shots of an older Gara (2017) vs. a newer Gara (2021). I found them. Fairly sure I posted these before, but here they are again since I just mentioned this subject.

View attachment 213265
View attachment 213266
View attachment 213267

You can see the fairly clear difference in overall volume (they're both 25.5 size) even though the new liner wasn't yet fit to a boot shell.
That totally makes sense to me. I have both these liners and I ended up putting way more Omfit into the leather Gara over the newer one. The leather one I put in something like a quarter of a tube each side for the heel area, and a full tube in the tongue. For the newer Gara a half a tube in each tongue was enough.

I also briefly owned the Grand Prix in your earlier picture and it had way too much volume for me. I really struggled to buckle my boots in that one. Super precise of course once they were on, but just too much, so I moved them on to a very happy buyer.

Why 3? I wanted to know just leave a pair in each boot. 2’s enough though and may see me out for at least a decade.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I'd like to help, but I'm missing context for your question. Are you saying that the ZipFit liners are for narrow feet? If so, you're misunderstanding the way these liners are constructed since they will easily adapt to whatever width foot you bring to the party. The bigger issue is getting the shell width correct.

I guess I was surprised to see a width listed in the ad. The head fitter at Daleboot measured mine at 115 & 116. Apparently I'm just a touch wider than the average stampers...

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I guess I was surprised to see a width listed in the ad. The head fitter at Daleboot measured mine at 115 & 116. Apparently I'm just a touch wider than the average stampers...

The width shown in that old brochure is for the suggested width (last) of the boots that they would be paired with. Width is probably one of the easiest things to adjust on a boot shell for a fitter. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if you buy a boot that actually fits your width out of the box, that boot is most likely too big in most, if not all, of the critical fit areas.

Sponsor

Staff online