• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skifastflylow1

Booting up
Skier
I am looking for some general guidance regarding Zipfit liners.
I have a very normal, average foot with no issues. I have two pairs of boots that I ski-Lange RX and RS130’s.
The RX have a Bootdoc World Cup liner that is packing out after a couple of years. The RS 130 still have the stock liner in them, but need to be replaced as they age too.
I was thinking of a Zipfit liner to use in each. I like a tight/snug/firm fit. Which Zipfit model would you recommend? I emailed Sven, but have not gotten a response.
There aren’t any local Zipfit dealers near me.
Thanks in advance.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I now own a pair of zipfits and have followed the video on fitting them but I haven't skied them so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I bought the Grand Prix which have the most OMfit in them and was assuming they'd be too snug and that I'd need to harvest some OMfit which was fine because I'd rather have too much than too little. They were surprisingly comfortable on my healthy ankle so I don't think I'll need to remove any on that leg but will surely need to remove some cork once my bad ankle is healthy enough to work with. If you are not wanting to tinker with it than I'd recommend going to a boot fitter but for me, I'd always go with a model that has more OMfit or else you may have to pay $100+ to get a tube of it to inject later on. Removing OMfit is not difficult at all so if you are a hands on type of guy, I'd follow Sven's video and then go up one model (Gara to WC or WC to Grand Prix) and then if it's too tight after fitting, remove some cork. They are beautiful liners though! FWIW, I've tried them in my RS 130 and XT 130 and I think they are going to rock!

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
i think you would be best to call him or emai him with questions to start a conversation , my son had a lengty email exchange with Sven in March and the results was well worth the effort , I got the Grand Prix Stelth Model myself for my Tecnica Mach1 130 with great results, My son got the sidewinder Freestyle Grand Prix .

Mogulpal

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My Gara just arrived a few days ago. Slipped into Fischer RC4 140 Vacuum Full Fit seems tight on the instep, but ok on Scarpa Freedom SL. Both boots are 25.5. My feet measured 260mm. Will cook the shells to do a proper fit as per Sven's video in a few days.

Attachments

• IMG_5216.JPG
    IMG_5216.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 179

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
My Gara just arrived a few days ago. Slipped into Fischer RC4 140 Vacuum Full Fit seems tight on the instep, but ok on Scarpa Freedom SL. Both boots are 25.5. My feet measured 260mm. Will cook the shells to do a proper fit as per Sven's video in a few days.

Again, I'm not an expert with these yet but I've read that if you have a spot like your instep that is really snug that it's best to move some of the material out of that spot with your hand once you have heated the liners. It would eventually move out of there once you started skiing but it sounds like it may be less painful to manually move some out with your hands and then let it move back in as necessary once you ski them into shape.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would do the fitting as per Sven's directions then ski them for 5 days and then evaluate them on if its necessary to add or remove any material. The first impressions will not be the same after the OMfit gets distributed in the Inner boot

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm thinking about ZipFits in my Tecnica Mach1 MV 26.5. Will the boots with ZipFits be colder or warmer than the stock liner? Anybody have an idea of the correct model and size to match up with my boot? Thanks.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the same boot only LV and I have the Grand Prix Leather model, I think they are about the same as stock warmth wise, huge improvement in fit fell and heel hold, you may consider the new sidewinder model ,my son has them and really likes them

Turnoisier

Booting up
Skier
It very much depends on what sort of shell fit you have. Tighter fit, go with the world cup or gara models. Looser fit, go with the Gran Prix. The basic design of the liners is pretty consistent across the line, and some models differ only in the amount of omfit present when you buy them. However, there are other minor differences that are worth attending to - the leather lining takes up slightly less space than the usual neoprene lining, and the 'stealth' cuff covering seems to take up a little more space than the leather coating, and quite a bit more than the plain plastic of the 'classic' model. The tour and diva models have slits cut into the plastic at the back of the cuff to provide space for larger calf muscles, or to enable a more upright stance. These may not seem like big differences, but, IMO, they can have a significant impact on comfort and performance depending on your particular shell and personal preferences.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To bump this thread, hopefully, I have questions about the zipfits, please.

I'm in need of either new liners and/or new boots or both, "consumer race" and freeride (currently in RS 130s LVs and RX 130 LVs).

I'm thinking of getting a pair of the leather Stealth Grand Prix for at least one pair of boots, just to be sure of enough filler material; but there are model options I don't understand. Can someone tell me, what are the Sidewinder models, and what are they for? When would one get these instead of the older models? (A zipfit bootfitter here in Denver that I went to said they hadn't received the Sidewinders yet, but that these had an inner structure of horizontal, parallel bands or plastic tubes of filler wrapped around the heel, from the front of the ankle all the way around, and on up the liner, like a series of horseshoes. )

Also, just to plan and figure out what to do, if it's okay to ask, what are the ball park prices of these models (Gara, World Cup, Grand Prix) and of the filler adding kit? I understand the basic Gara model is around $400 or so not counting any fitting, no idea about the others. And the zipfit bootfitter told me it was $25/ two inch tube section of the filler, presumably if I insert it myself. Seems like I might actually be using at least a full tube or more (four times $25?) per liner, for the used Stealth (non leather) Garas I recently got (details for another post). I hope the full filler kit can save money per tube or section, but don't know.

I've emailed Sven through the website about models and prices, but got no answers yet. It may be summer vacation time there.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
My son has the sidewinder model and he likes them , the inside has a piece of plastic under the stealth foam making for a more direct power transmition to the ski. I also got some Spot Fit from Lockwoods In UK for about $10 a tube I called them and they shipped out quickly

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My son has the sidewinder model and he likes them , the inside has a piece of plastic under the stealth foam making for a more direct power transmition to the ski. I also got some Spot Fit from Lockwoods In UK for about $10 a tube I called them and they shipped out quickly

Thanks for the info!

Your sidewinder description has me slightly confused. From product descriptions, the Stealth part seems to be "a slightly sticky honeycomb rubber laminate" to "dampen vibration," etc. Do you mean the Sidewinder piece of plastic is under this, or under the only "foam" in the liner, which the description says is in the "upper half of the spoiler"?

And do the things actually have the parallel horizontal "horseshoe-like" rings around the heel/achilles, or the same snail spiral construction over the ankles of the other models?

Also, there seems to be, or have been, a Freeride model, with more upright stance. My guess is this is a past model, not the Sidewinder. If I am wrong here, please set me straight.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
The side winder comes in freeride and traditional grandprix, gara upper, The plastic is under the stelth foam down the whole side of the inner liner . If you have a more upright stance, the freestyle may be for you, the sidewinder is made to give more power transmition to the ski, the heel pocket construction is the same in all zip fit models, its the amount of OM fit that make the differance from Gran prix , world cup, Gara

TS
S

skifastflylow1

Booting up
Skier
I have email Sven a couple of times-zero response from him.
I too am looking for the leather Grand Prix but will have to wait till fall before any New England bootfitters/shops are available to work with me.
Unfortunately not everyone stocks multiple models of Zipfits which is why I was hoping to get Sven’s option on what would work for me.
Good luck in your search and getting a response.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does anyone know how it would be to use a 27.5 Zipfit liner in a 28.5 shell? I ask because I currently have a pair of RS 130 in 27.5 and 27.5 Zipfit liners and after ankle surgery, my right ankle is way higher volume than my left and since my right foot is also naturally a 1/2 size longer, I'm thinking of going up to a 28.5 RS 130 on that foot while keeping the 27.5 on the left. Has anyone gone up a shell size and used the same liners? I emailed Sven but thought I'd ask here as well. Thanks!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does anyone know how it would be to use a 27.5 Zipfit liner in a 28.5 shell? I ask because I currently have a pair of RS 130 in 27.5 and 27.5 Zipfit liners and after ankle surgery, my right ankle is way higher volume than my left and since my right foot is also naturally a 1/2 size longer, I'm thinking of going up to a 28.5 RS 130 on that foot while keeping the 27.5 on the left. Has anyone gone up a shell size and used the same liners? I emailed Sven but thought I'd ask here as well. Thanks!

Hi, @surfandski .

I've suddenly had an old guy boot fit problem after all these years. So this Pugski boot thread and others have been a Godsend, including your posts on boots and Zips. Thanks. I got started a season or so behind you. Like you, I'm exploring several options at once, to be sure I have a way forward, with no more lost/black toe nail. I too have gotten zips and rice-cooked some shells to heat shape those liners.

So, to answer your question, I've been to two very experienced Zipfit sellers this summer, one in Denver (a custom ortho type - nice guy and knowledgeable), and the other Chuck in Breck, at @Doug Briggs' shop, Racer's Edge.

(and a real shout out about Chuck and Racer's Edge. He is the bomb! A bootfitter who's great for me!!! Thanks, Chuck, & @Doug Briggs & Pugski.)

Anyway, both places seemed very knowledgeable with Zipfits, and both told me that using a smaller Zip in a larger shell is a common and successful strategy for many: it just depends on the particular feet and the particular shells/and fit. Not right for all, but for some.

Specifically, for me, this season I am going to try using a 26.5 Zip (new Grand Prix) in 27.5 Nordica Doberman GPs as one option (option two, from the ortho folk). Let you know how it works.

(I'll maybe give more details in another post, but folks can skip that as too much, if they wish, since I often get too detailed, sorry.)

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks Ski Otter. I ordered a pair of 28.5 RS 130 W last night so I'll likely be rocking a 27.5 on my left foot and a 28.5 on my right with 27.5 Zips in both. I'll report back how that goes when they arrive. I'm also in search of an empty OMfit tube so I can harvest a bunch out of my high volume right cankle. Yes, Chuck is great!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks Ski Otter. I ordered a pair of 28.5 RS 130 W last night so I'll likely be rocking a 27.5 on my left foot and a 28.5 on my right with 27.5 Zips in both. I'll report back how that goes when they arrive. I'm also in search of an empty OMfit tube so I can harvest a bunch out of my high volume right cankle. Yes, Chuck is great!
You can get sturdy plastic tubing of many sizes at places like Lowes and Home Depot that work just as well, for cheap.

Sponsor