• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I gave up on the little plastic cinch thing. It was just ok at securing the laces and always seemed to be in a spot where I could feel it after tightening my booster strap. I took the cinches off and just tie the laces manually.
I gave up on the laces completely. They don't serve much purpose and make it harder to get in and out of boot/liner. I did like the velcro strap across the shin just to hold the tongue in. Haven't missed the laces at all.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On the subject of laces, the way Buck explained to me is you just want to use the devices in a way to be careful to not move the cork..

That means laces/strap should be just tight enough to hold your liner to foot to avoid distortion for the boot on/off process, but no further as that might squeeze the cork from the front/top pocket that pushes your foot back.

He told me even more important part and reason for cam and why laces are so long is to make it fully loose when putting the liner on/off foot. You want laces pulled loose in front more than completely slack and fully opened up to minimize distortion of the cork in the Achilles hold pockets when foot goes in/out of liner.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got back from first full day of skiing with my new Gara LVs. Super happy - kind of pinching myself that I’m not having any issues so far! Heal hold is great, no pain points, and they do stiffen up the boot. I don’t have to buckle up nearly as tight as I had to with the stock liners (at least not yet).

The only slight consideration is that I wish the tongue reached higher up my shin, and was a little thicker. The latter probably easily remedied with some of OMFit to the tongue, which I may do at some point. But otherwise it’s magic so far…

The little ratchet thingy that cinches the laces is total crap though, one of them already lost the little plastic wheel that makes it work, seems like an absolute afterthought… I just do up the laces manually now.

Huge shout out to LindseyB (how do I link to his profile?) for the advice and YouTube video of his method of putting ZipFits on and off (toes straight down into the shell and knee to the floor). Working great for me.
The Zips are the most game changing piece of gear I have ever bought. They solved every single boot issue I've ever had. Of course, you need the right model and have it in the right boot and have a good footbeds to go with them. That said...they just make my boots comfortable, high performing and warm.

As for getting in and out..that's a challenge and I've refined my technique with some others who have some me some different ways. I don't like the method you talk about above...but some do. You can also use the long shoe horn and put your foot in the liner first and then slide the liners into your shells..but this method is not always practical either. I have taken my laces out (per recommendation from some others) which allows the tongue to open wide and then I can push the tongue against one of the plastic flaps the cuff of my boot and pull the other one back enough for my feet to slide in. Sometimes it requires re-positioning the tongue a bit once they are on but it works great. This my method of choice and I can get them on while standing up too BUT if its cold outside it is tougher to pry the boots open to slide my feet in. Its a bit more work, but the reward is worth it. Nothing skis better than the ZipFits.

Skisolo

Putting on skis
Skier
If you mean the strap that comes with the Zipfit liner, I take them off. I think they’re superfluous at best.

If you mean the Booster Strap on the boot, in the normal way.
I meant the after market booster strap. The manufacturer suggest they should go on the inside of the shell over the liner, that's how I use them with normal liners. Not sure if I should just go over the shell like a normal cardboard strap when using Zipfit liners.

Skisolo

Putting on skis
Skier
And for something completely different, but related...

Here is the ZipFit Kinesthotic:

View attachment 123403 View attachment 123404

This footbed is basically Sven's Downunders footbed used as the foundation with an OMFit bladder laid on top and an additional covering. I actually had a pair of these that were accidentally included with a pair of thermoflex liners I had purchased off ebay. The seller didn't want them so I kept them, but this was around 2005 or so and I had not yet become familiar with ZipFit. So I had no idea at the time of what I had in my possession. Unfortunately I completely destroyed one of them in a microwave because I didn't understand how they worked.

I'm posting this information because I've been trying to convince Sven to put these back into production. I'm trying to drum up enough interest to show him that there could be new market potential for a self-fitting footbed like the Kinesthotic. I have a lot more information about these if anyone is interested.
Any foot guys have any input? My footbeds are all rigid so I'm not sure how these would ski. Very interesting though.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I meant the after market booster strap. The manufacturer suggest they should go on the inside of the shell over the liner, that's how I use them with normal liners. Not sure if I should just go over the shell like a normal cardboard strap when using Zipfit liners.
I don’t do that. I’m over the shell with the booster. Basically whatever sits in a horizontal line is captured by the booster strap.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I have mine under the shell and over the liners. Different people have different preferences for Boosters though - there’s not really a right or wrong answer.

Zipfits are great liners, but they’re just liners like everything else out there. Whatever has worked for you I’m other setups will likely work for you with Zipfuts.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Just added some Omfit to one boot. Has anybody used the microwave to heat the liner? Somehow it feels safer than the oven.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Just added some Omfit to one boot. Has anybody used the microwave to heat the liner? Somehow it feels safer than the oven.

my zipfits have metal eyelets for the laces at the bottom, wont those cause lightening bolts in a microwave?

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
Do NOT use the microwave! I singed part of the liner at 10 sec. I did it becasue there's a random video from zipfit talking about it... turns out it's not a good idea. The guys at Footloose used to microwave them too, until one caught on fire :)

Use the oven method, or put them in a heated boot bag.

gwat

Putting on skis
Skier
Is anyone finding the World Cup Sidewinder overly stiff?
It was the only model the local dealer had in stock so I went with them.
These are my first zip fits and I use them all mountain / all conditions.
I find them overly jarring in some situations compared to Intuitions and stock liners.
Like I'm getting bucked around way more than I should be.
Is that just the nature of zip fits?

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
That liner is probably the stiffest with the sidewinder, a freestyle would be better, any zipfit will stiffen the boot up

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wondered if the WCSW would be too stiff, but I am really happy with my decision to give them a try. I have 21 days on them, and they keep getting better. I guess it is completely a personal matter whether they work for you. I can see them causing people some issues because they certainly are a stiff liner.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@gwat - what boot? These liners do stiffen up the boot some, but not
To the extent like your describing.

Sponsor

Staff online