• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anybody have any info/experience with the Workhorse?
This got buried and I was really curious about the answer as well. Anyone around here actually try the Workhorse out this season? Judging from the sales I'd say its a surefire return for next season, most likely with more inventory.

The leather makes me curious as it sounds like its on both the external portion of the liner and the internal portion that contacts your socks. I can imagine there would be issues with the leather not wanting to slide into the plastic shell during insertion, or the leather portion internally gripping your socks and causing them to slide over your ski and create an abrasion opportunity. Any validity to these concerns?

Reactions: BMC

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
This got buried and I was really curious about the answer as well. Anyone around here actually try the Workhorse out this season? Judging from the sales I'd say its a surefire return for next season, most likely with more inventory.

The leather makes me curious as it sounds like its on both the external portion of the liner and the internal portion that contacts your socks. I can imagine there would be issues with the leather not wanting to slide into the plastic shell during insertion, or the leather portion internally gripping your socks and causing them to slide over your ski and create an abrasion opportunity. Any validity to these concerns?
There's no problem sliding the liner into the shell (all zipfit liners have some amount of exterior leather), and the interior leather lining has more hold to your foot than the 'normal' neoprene lining.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The interior leather-lined models are, imho, far superior to neoprene. Today was day 24 on my WCSW and it was the best yet. I'm sure at some point there will come a time when I can no longer say, "They just keep getting better," but I haven't come close to that yet, I don't think.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Has anyone used any of the newer Omfit tubes? I just received mine and inserted some into my liners. This Omfit, compared to some I got 5 or 6 years ago, is much more sticky and glue like than the previous ones I had. In the past I could easily pick it up and roll some into a small cigar shape and stick it back in the tube. The new stuff is kinda like playing with maple syrup.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Has anyone used any of the newer Omfit tubes? I just received mine and inserted some into my liners. This Omfit, compared to some I got 5 or 6 years ago, is much more sticky and glue like than the previous ones I had. In the past I could easily pick it up and roll some into a small cigar shape and stick it back in the tube. The new stuff is kinda like playing with maple syrup.

Ive used a handful of tubes over the past couple of years, none this year. The last batch I bought was last winter. I was able to do the exact same technique you described for reloading.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, the tubes that i have received this winter are apparently a different formula from the ones from last season.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
^ this is very true, older stuff is more oily than sticky. i had a new tube and an old tube. I’m sure it works the same, but it is different.

BTW - my tubes came yesterday.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blister Gear:30 had another long pod on Zips on March 10th. Great stuff. So in love with my ZipFits..they have changed my ski life.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is going back several months, but IIRC his impression was that the new formula was thicker with greater viscosity.

In my liners, the two formulas are mixed so it would be impossible to state if the results are different. It would take two liners--one old formula, one new--to really tell.

I guess asking Zipfit might also garner some insight.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious when they switched over. I bought mine in early October.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just checked the dates of my orders, and the "old" batch was from April 2022, and the new tubes were late December. No idea at what point between those two dates things were changed.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
So I broke down, and ordered the Corsa to compare to my Gara LV I got some time ago (you can look up my previous posts). Will be skiing them this weekend.

Some immediate differences vs the Gara LV:
- Much lower volume, it’s a pretty thin liner, not just the amount of cork, but the construction itself
- Pretty narrow last (believe Zipfit calls it 92). My footbeds barely fit width-wise. The foot section looks much narrower next to the Gara
- However, the tongue is much higher volume than the Gara LV, it’s all around thicker and more robust, especially up top. Much better than the Gara tongue
- As some people mentioned the new Corsa has a power strap (website still has picture of the old one
- The laces on the Corsa, including the lock thingy, are more heavy duty than the standard laces on the Gara
- Grip from the leather liner is immediately better, although big of a hassle to put on - they don’t slide easy on the foot
- The removable / adjustable tongue on the Corsa is genius

I’m pretty sure I’ll have to add some cork to the Corsa, but I really like the build and leather lining. I’m going to ski them this weekend and report back, these could be keepers.

My shells are Head Raptor WCR 140S (96 last), and I think the Corsa would be too low profile for anything with more volume than the Raptors, unless your feet are really chunky…

bennettc14

Booting up
Skier
So I broke down, and ordered the Corsa to compare to my Gara LV I got some time ago (you can look up my previous posts). Will be skiing them this weekend.

Some immediate differences vs the Gara LV:
- Much lower volume, it’s a pretty thin liner, not just the amount of cork, but the construction itself
- Pretty narrow last (believe Zipfit calls it 92). My footbeds barely fit width-wise. The foot section looks much narrower next to the Gara
- However, the tongue is much higher volume than the Gara LV, it’s all around thicker and more robust, especially up top. Much better than the Gara tongue
- As some people mentioned the new Corsa has a power strap (website still has picture of the old one
- The laces on the Corsa, including the lock thingy, are more heavy duty than the standard laces on the Gara
- Grip from the leather liner is immediately better, although big of a hassle to put on - they don’t slide easy on the foot
- The removable / adjustable tongue on the Corsa is genius

I’m pretty sure I’ll have to add some cork to the Corsa, but I really like the build and leather lining. I’m going to ski them this weekend and report back, these could be keepers.

My shells are Head Raptor WCR 140S (96 last), and I think the Corsa would be too low profile for anything with more volume than the Raptors, unless your feet are really chunky…
I have Raptors and pretty low volume feet/ankles. Really debating going World Cup Sidewinder and maybe removing cork as needed.

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
I have Raptors and pretty low volume feet/ankles. Really debating going World Cup Sidewinder and maybe removing cork as needed.
If it's a 96mm shell, the Gara LV or the Sidewinders are probably the best option with low volume feet. The new Corsa is really low volume. The Gara LV i got 1-2 weeks ago needed 1.5 tubes of cork in each tongue for my skinny ankle/shin/calf - make sure you have access to cork. The side pockets are pretty full and tight in the ankles/heel.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier

I have a slightly above mid volume foot in the Raptor WCR 140RS with the Gara LV Leather Race. This is the leather lined version of the Gara LV. I dont think you will need to remove much if any OMFit.

You will find one place in the US that has them right now if you prefer the leather lining vs neoprene. Just a few $$ more than the regular Gara’s.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier

I thought about going with the Sidewinder, but decided on the Corsa. One reason was that my Raptors are stiff enough, and I didn’t want to make then any stiffer with the Sidewinder. I also wanted full leather lining (Sidewinder tongue is neoprene). Last but not least my size (275) is sold out…

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a slightly above mid volume foot in the Raptor WCR 140RS with the Gara LV Leather Race. This is the leather lined version of the Gara LV. I dont think you will need to remove much if any OMFit.

You will find one place in the US that has them right now if you prefer the leather lining vs neoprene. Just a few $$ more than the regular Gara’s.

Now that I have the Corsa side by side with the Gara LV (neoprene) I do like the leather lining a lot. The leather is very supple and most importantly it really grips the foot. Downside is it’s a little tough to put on because it’s so grippy.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid