• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My local bootfitter, who is a Zipfit dealer, suggested against Zipfits if I don't ski enough days per year (10-20 days on average). The reasoning is that it takes a couple days each season to get the liners broken in / OMFit adjusted and it's not worth dealing with the process if a good percentage of your days in the liner are not optimal.

This seems wrong based on everything I've read about Zipfits. I assume that I can walk around the house prior to the season starting to rework the OMFit.

What's the group consensus? Are Zipfits worth it if one is only skiing 15 days per year? I recognize that price can be a factor but I'm disregarding it for this analysis.
I will go with your bootfitter and don't think they are necessarily wrong; and 15days is probably correct as a cross over point. A lot of that weight is the initial dialing it in which may take 10 skidays for you to dial it in and make adjustments. If your bootfitter isn't on mountain that you can't just go midday or between ski days; that could take half a season away with you skiing in pain. If you even look in this thread there are a good number of folks still having with the soft tongue and needing to add cork here and there. There is something also to be said about the booting up hassle which is also harder the less you get used to it.

The question is: if they are saying they don't recommend zipfits for you...the followup is that means they have another better recommendation for you. So what is the alternative option here for your usage pattern?
I think you can get equally good results like a foam injection (like surefoot) or other aftermarket liner if that's what they are thinking. If chosen and setup properly can be ready to ski on day 1 with less breakin issues; and less chance that you need to go back for adjustments, and ostensibly no soft tongue issues
Although these will pack out faster than the zipfits and there are reports of decreasing quality, these aftermarket options still should be very high performing for 100days; and good performing or fixed up to be good for another 100days. So that's puts this setup in the 8-16 seasons range. You will probably will be ready for the next thing anyway or global warming or corporate greed will have changed skiing.

TipsUp

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The question is: if they are saying they don't recommend zipfits for you...the followup is that means they have another better recommendation for you. So what is the alternative option here for your usage pattern?
Their comment was in general. I notified them I was interested in ordering Zipfits when I get fitted for new boots in September. It's possible the stock lining of whatever boot selects me would be good enough.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Looking to make the RS 130 my next boot. My buddy’s set up:

89F7EB52-40AB-40B6-8E90-13BEF83B18DB.jpeg

What liner for the RS?

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
My local bootfitter, who is a Zipfit dealer, suggested against Zipfits if I don't ski enough days per year (10-20 days on average). The reasoning is that it takes a couple days each season to get the liners broken in / OMFit adjusted and it's not worth dealing with the process if a good percentage of your days in the liner are not optimal.

This seems wrong based on everything I've read about Zipfits. I assume that I can walk around the house prior to the season starting to rework the OMFit.

What's the group consensus? Are Zipfits worth it if one is only skiing 15 days per year? I recognize that price can be a factor but I'm disregarding it for this analysis.
Also completely disagree...especially if you are being properly fit for them first time.

That first time should include a good hot bake of the zipfits (with footbeds removed) to get the omfit goop good and mobile. Then footbeds in and liners on feet and into shells. Tightly (very) clamped up and then walk and flex for 20 to 30 minutes to move that omfit around while it's much more fluid than normal.
Then take your boots and go skiing for that last 5% of fit - and immediately have better control & comfort over stock liners.

Use a heated boot bag or hot air blower/dryers every morning to warm up the liner and also warm up that omfit so it can move where needed that much easier early on and you'll be kicking yourself for not having got zipfits earlier.
They can be moved to a new pair of boots in a few years time when the old boot shell wears out - so they are better value than they first appear.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
@Brian Finch I guess it depends on how tight you go with the RS 130. I have about 1cm of space behind my heel in a shell fit, and the Gara LV is working well for that. If you have more space, get the Gara HV. If you have a race fit, possibly the Corsa. You may need to adjust with additional cork.

Are there additional options that others would recommend for a RS 130?

Doublegreen

Putting on skis
Skier
I disagree with your bootfitter. Even if I only skied 5 days a years, I would be so miserable in my Cochise liners that it shorten my days significantly. Cost effective? No, but I don’t care because they are so damn comfortable.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier

I don’t agree with that advice. The Omfit doesn’t reset between seasons, at least so far as I know. At 15 days a season though you may well never need to buy another set of liners. You could get 50 years out of them, properly cared for.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone skied GFT liners in alpine boots?

I have Atomic Hawk Ultra in both alpine and XTD versions. I have a set of World Cup liners for the alpine boots and GFTs for the touring boots. The World Cups are getting a little tired and I was thinking about replacing them, but it occurred to me that maybe I could just switch the GFTs from boot to boot, and avoid buying a new set of liners.

Does anyone do this with GFTs? Do you notice any difference to running alpine specific Zipfits?

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Good question. I would think that since the shells are pretty much identical, it should be easy to do. Curious if others have tried it...

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
For the most recent Corsa model with the removal tongue, how does the volume of the liner compare to the Lange plug liners?

edit to add:
I know the Lange plug liners are probably the thinnest / lowest volume stock plug liners, so just trying to get a feel for if a different shell fit is needed for the Corsa to work in the Lange Z boots. Still going for a close shell fit, but are a couple more mm needed is what I’m trying to solve for.

Last edited:

KimJongTr1ll

Putting on skis
Skier
FWIW I have successfully got my freeride liners into a Raptor WCR 120/130.

I have been wearing them at my standing desk at home to get that throat area to pack down lol.

Jeff@ZipFit

Booting up
Manufacturer
Just some food for thought as you're considering which model ZipFit...

ZipFit and Fischer Sports Develop an Award Winning RC4 Pro Ski Boot​

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
FWIW I have successfully got my freeride liners into a Raptor WCR 120/130.

I have been wearing them at my standing desk at home to get that throat area to pack down lol.
Have you heated up the liners at all as you're breaking them in at home? I have Gara LV liners that I have fit into Lange RX LV boots and almost fit into Technica Mach 1 LV boots - both are 97 or 98mm last.

KimJongTr1ll

Putting on skis
Skier
Have you heated up the liners at all as you're breaking them in at home? I have Gara LV liners that I have fit into Lange RX LV boots and almost fit into Technica Mach 1 LV boots - both are 97 or 98mm last.
I have yes. These are coming out of my Hawx ultra so they are definitely easier to mold than a new pair.

JayH

The Song Remains the Same
Skier

don’t like this going-by-days idea…

If you intend to ski 14 days year in and out that is a ton of skiing relative to the general public. I have bought lots of ski gear, and I think they are one of the two best ski products I have bought. I managed to get in over 50 last year but they still would have brought me notable joy if I skied only three. I actually tried them on this week just to get that feeling of using them again.

It did not take any time for me to feel like they were broken in enough that I enjoyed skiing in that pair of boots far more than before I got them. I got them at Olympic Bootworks. They did the baking and fitting and they were ready to go. As for the boots, they did need to grind my boot boards to make room for them. (Mach 1 130 LV, Gara LV both 27.5, wear 10.5 and usually 11 sneakers). They also put on booster straps, and it is definitely the best performing boot I have ever had by a lot. I never did any ski racing.

I don’t think you will regret getting them. As far as all that technical talk about what’s optimal.. you got the wrong guy … man, I’m the dude.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Just some food for thought as you're considering which model ZipFit...

ZipFit and Fischer Sports Develop an Award Winning RC4 Pro Ski Boot​

Don't understand this. If you're looking at a zipfit you probably already have a shell you are happy with or are targeting.

The Fischer might be a solution IF the shell fits your foot but the zipfit is just part of the package. No one should be buying a boot just because it is packaged with a zipfit liner. Not that I don't give Fischer credit for producing a boot where the liner might finally match the life of the shell.

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier

If you intend to ski 14 days year in and out that is a ton of skiing relative to the general public. I have bought lots of ski gear, and I think they are one of the two best ski products I have bought. I managed to get in over 50 last year but they still would have brought me notable joy if I skied only three. I actually tried them on this week just to get that feeling of using them again.

It did not take any time for me to feel like they were broken in enough that I enjoyed skiing in that pair of boots far more than before I got them. I got them at Olympic Bootworks. They did the baking and fitting and they were ready to go. As for the boots, they did need to grind my boot boards to make room for them. (Mach 1 130 LV, Gara LV both 27.5, wear 10.5 and usually 11 sneakers). They also put on booster straps, and it is definitely the best performing boot I have ever had by a lot. I never did any ski racing.

I don’t think you will regret getting them. As far as all that technical talk about what’s optimal.. you got the wrong guy … man, I’m the dude.
Very helpful info on the boot board grinding for the Mach 1 LVs. I picked up a pair of Mach 1 130 LV boots a few months ago I am getting instep pressure with the Gara liners, so might need a hair taken off the boot board.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier

I agree, but the "proceed with caution" flag needs to be thrown. It took my very low-volume fit Gara LVs two weeks of skiing for them to mold around my foot correctly this year (and for the pressure around my ankle to subside). It is within the realm of possibility that his entire first season in them might be a little rough. If he's willing to accept that, then it's full steam ahead.

Sponsor

Staff online