• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which resorts treat their employees the best.

SEE YOU NEXT SEASON

Booting up
Skier
Hi Everyone,
I'm doing a little research for a project about North American ski resorts that have great employee-friendly policies. If anyone wants to nominate a ski town / mountain with abundant affordable housing, free shuttles, employee wellness programs, opportunities for staff progression, great perks, just go for it.
Let's give the good guys in the industry a shout out.
Thanks in Advance,

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I am an instructor at Magic in Londonderry, VT and I couldn't be happier.

We are a small but steep mountain area, not a resort. As an instructor I'm thrilled. I work half days so get plenty of time to free ski. They do a great job of rotating the lessons so we all get variety. There's training and clinics and lots of support. I get discounts at the ski shop, tune shop and the cafeteria.

I also am an ambassador at Bromley in Peru and I get a free pass, a good discount in the cafe and the ski shop. We also get a shed to keep our stuff in.

These are small, non fancy non resort places but how I am treated is why I've been there for years.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
In Colorado... dang, maybe LL and A-Basin and a few of the smaller hills far from the Front Range. This is mostly Vail Resorts country and they have a rep and not a good one...at least in the past.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I worked at Timberline Lodge (Mt Hood, Oregon) last season. Overall, I think they treat their employees pretty well. e.g. Surprise bonus coupon book mid-season with transferrable lift, lesson, rental, lodging coupons. With express permission to sell the coupons. And other benefits (pass, gift-shop discounts, free lunch, pass exchange, shuttle, etc). The actual work did not suit me (ski instruction), but the ski area does treat employees well.

Mt Hood Skibowl has very satisfied employees, based just on my conversations with the employees. They are to be commended for having a hiring/transportation initiative for the local Warm Springs tribe. Plenty of employees from that initiative, and I see them year-after year, they are happy for the work and benefits.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am an instructor at Magic in Londonderry, VT and I couldn't be happier.

We are a small but steep mountain area, not a resort. As an instructor I'm thrilled. I work half days so get plenty of time to free ski. They do a great job of rotating the lessons so we all get variety. There's training and clinics and lots of support. I get discounts at the ski shop, tune shop and the cafeteria.

I also am an ambassador at Bromley in Peru and I get a free pass, a good discount in the cafe and the ski shop. We also get a shed to keep our stuff in.

These are small, non fancy non resort places but how I am treated is why I've been there for years.
I grew up about an hour south of Bromley and Magic and I can attest to them being great places to ski.As stated, they aren’t “ fancy” but they are terrific places to ski -good terrain, well groomed/maintained and lift lines are never too long. it’s really only about one thing at these smaller New England areas - skiing. I’m not surprised they are good places to work at as they are often intimately integrated into the local communities often through multiple generations.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Good employers, but is there any housing? Vermont has the advantage that there are still non-ski towns not that far (not that close, but not *that* far) from the ski areas. There is more flat space near and around the mountains in Vt.

Housing for full-time. Aspen's employee housing can be quite nice.

TS
SEE YOU NEXT SEASON

SEE YOU NEXT SEASON

Booting up
Skier
Housing for full-time. Aspen's employee housing can be quite nice.
Amen to that. If you get employee housing, Aspen has to be one of the best places in the USA to do a season. I loved how the crowds completely disappeared when the temps dropped and the snow started flying. Hopefully the visitors are still fair-weather skiers with deep pockets and long arms!! Just a shame the ski-worker bars are pretty much all gone.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Amen to that. If you get employee housing, Aspen has to be one of the best places in the USA to do a season. I loved how the crowds completely disappeared when the temps dropped and the snow started flying. Hopefully the visitors are still fair-weather skiers with deep pockets and long arms!! Just a shame the ski-worker bars are pretty much all gone.
It seems like the locals in Colorado don't show up when it's below zero. Here on the east coast it doesn't matter if it's -20, we take what we can :)

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
It seems like the locals in Colorado don't show up when it's below zero. Here on the east coast it doesn't matter if it's -20, we take what we can :)

At least in SWCO… fuck no. Why would we? We may see a few days below zero, but it is an anomaly. If it is that cold I’d rather be doing a gym workout, going out to lunch, wax skis, tie flies, etc.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
At least in SWCO… fuck no. Why would we? We may see a few days below zero, but it is an anomaly. If it is that cold I’d rather be doing a gym workout, going out to lunch, wax skis, tie flies, etc.
Forgot to mention, if it hasn't snowed in a while, they local crowd thins out :) Here on the east coast we aren't as spoiled and will ski on anything any day :)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
A few years ago Aspen bought the Aspen-Basalt RV Park and closed it to the public and brought in a bunch of tiny homes for staff accommodation.

A few seasons ago I worked part time at a Sun Peaks Resort owned ski shop/demo centre. Eventually in subsequent seasons they didn't really have any hours scheduled for me so the job morphed into a sponsorship wherein I got a staff pass with all the benefits including the substantial ski shop staff equipment discounts from suppliers, and discounts on store inventory. In exchange, if you got on a chairlift with me and complained of cold hands, you would get the full Hestra gloves sales pitch. Or on a foggy day you might learn about Smith's Chromapop lens technology, etc. Covid protocols ended my free ride, but no regrets.

How about starting a thread about which resorts treat their customers the best?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Schweitzer is working hard on their employee housing complex down just North of Sandpoint, ID. 3 good sized buildings should be ready for this season. Combine that with an employee shuttle bus and it will be a big step forward.

TS
SEE YOU NEXT SEASON

SEE YOU NEXT SEASON

Booting up
Skier
Schweitzer is working hard on their employee housing complex down just North of Sandpoint, ID. 3 good sized buildings should be ready for this season. Combine that with an employee shuttle bus and it will be a big step forward.
Yeah Schweitzer is doing some nice stuff, but their new employee housing is opening in spring. Not quite ready yet.

TS
SEE YOU NEXT SEASON

SEE YOU NEXT SEASON

Booting up
Skier
A few years ago Aspen bought the Aspen-Basalt RV Park and closed it to the public and brought in a bunch of tiny homes for staff accommodation.

A few seasons ago I worked part time at a Sun Peaks Resort owned ski shop/demo centre. Eventually in subsequent seasons they didn't really have any hours scheduled for me so the job morphed into a sponsorship wherein I got a staff pass with all the benefits including the substantial ski shop staff equipment discounts from suppliers, and discounts on store inventory. In exchange, if you got on a chairlift with me and complained of cold hands, you would get the full Hestra gloves sales pitch. Or on a foggy day you might learn about Smith's Chromapop lens technology, etc. Covid protocols ended my free ride, but no regrets.

How about starting a thread about which resorts treat their customers the best?
Classic. I was on "sponsored athlete" with Smith because I worked and raced in a ski shop team. They even kept the sponsorship going for a few years when I was coaching cricket teams in Australia. Good gear too. Aspen have just progressed a really big affordable housing project just near the airport. They are miles ahead on rival ski towns on the i70 corridor. Having said that, Skico should still build a thousand more units next season as well

TS
SEE YOU NEXT SEASON

SEE YOU NEXT SEASON

Booting up
Skier
In my first year I asked a long term Aspen local why the hill was so empty that day. He said the light was a bit flat. I laughed and told him flat light in Australia meant not being able to see your hand. AND WE STILL SKIED AND WERE HAPPY.