• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which ski for a tall guy? Advanced+ in Michigan

Whirlybird

Booting up
Skier
Hi folks, I'm getting back into 'serious' skiing after renting for the last decade. I'm looking for something that is mostly groomer focused. I used to own a race setup in the 90s that I really enjoyed going warp speed down the mountain with. Now I like to go smell the frozen roses with some trees, or a mogul or two. I also go to Colorado or the alps once a year.
The Head e-Rally looks like it would have fit the bill for me (maybe too on piste focused?), but Head stops production at 177cm. This is the same story for a good majority of skis that I would have been interested in, except my size limitation puts the various offerings out of reach. There are wider all mountain skis that go longer, but I really don't want to go wider than 80mm underfoot and desire a more powerful groomer characteristic for the vast majority of the skiing that I anticipate doing.

I'm 6'5" and 235 lbs. I think I'm going to have to go for the Montero AX @ 183 and live with a ski that is about 7cm shorter (according to Stockli's website for size) than ideal. If anyone knows of a kind hearted manufacturer that will be creating a longer ski in the next season within this performance category, I could hold off from buying right now (hoping to snag some sales).

Or, what ski would you peeps suggest?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Welcome to SkiTalk! I'm 6'6", 225 lb and primarily ski an 88 mm all mountain ski at 186cm with a cheater GS at 183 cm for firm days (like today I skied them). But I've demoed skis down to 177 cm with no problem as long as they were a true advanced ski like a Head Monster 88. I really liked that ski but went in a different direction. The Head Supershape series is one I'd definitely demo in the future once I've burned out the GS skis. The Montero AX gets a lot of love here as well as the Blossom AM series. Check the Ski Selector above to see these and others that I'm sure folks will chime in with. I would suggest looking at the Rossignol Hero Elite series as well, although my LT's are a few years out of date.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would suggest looking at the Rossignol Hero Elite series as well, although my LT's are a few years out of date.

For a guy that tall and heavy-Hero Master.

To the OP: don't read too much into manufacturers recommendations for length. A shorter stiff ski is always better on piste than long noodles.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Go up to the Ski Reviews icon on the banner of this site, then click on the brands you want to read about and the skier/ski information. A bunch of frontside skis will pop up.

I don't think a Montero AX at 183 will be too short. But you may be able to find the previous model, the Laser AX, in a 183 somewhere for a good deal.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Get a ski that fits where you are actually skiing, not where you want to ski. For Michigan, unless you are in the UP, that means you are skiing 500 vertical foot (or less) groomers with the occasional mogul or two. Get something that fits that bill. I would recommend a shorter radius carver, like the Rally. When you go out to CO or the Alps, you can rent something that is appropriate for those conditions.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
If you want it doable in trees and bumps, this is perfect for Michigan and is a heck of a travel ski for low tide or little to no new snow.

Otherwise, I'd opt for a Volkl Deacon 76, Head Rally, etc.

If you are getting up to Nubs or Highlands this Sunday, I can bring a neat pair of Rossis for you to try, they will be cheap too.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am 6'4" and 240. For front side skis I am on 175 to 184 cm. I am expert level. You don't want them longer than that, unless they have a lot of rocker. The 175 is a slalom ski and very stiff. The Montero in 183 would be a perfect length. The Montero is a softer carver, their Sc or Sx is much stiffer, depends on what you want. Stay away from the Heads in the 177, 178 cm lengths, they were too short for me. Head makes a couple of carvers in the low 180 cm lengths that would work. There are quite a few front side carvers in the 180-183 length, just use some filters on the website to find them. Fischer makes a 183 Curve Gt ski, this year's, that I think you would like.