• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Doug Briggs, I've been meaning to ask if you have any issues with your box overhanging the back of your truck? Do you know how long your bed and box are?

My next truck will likely be a 2nd gen Tundra crew cab to fit the kiddos as they grow. It only comes with a 5.5-foot bed so skis will have to go diagonally. One thought is to build a short platform to put the skis under so I can still fit stuff on top. The bed is so deep I think I could still use a tonneau cover rather than a shell.

The other option would be a having the skis in a roof box over a tonneau cover, but my Yakima lopro box would stick out 2' 2" over the back. Not sure if that's a big deal, but seems pretty far.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on how to make a 5.5' bed work for skiing with 6' and longer skis.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@tball ,

My bed is 5'. The box is about 6.5'. Long enough for 215s. I put a piece of white reflective tape around the overhanging section to avoid the 'I couldn't see that black thing in the dark!' It works great, no issues with the overhang. It is more pleasant to walk into that than a hitch. :eek:

My future plan is to build a capper for the truck that has an 8' roof with overhang fore and aft. I'll send images as I build. My goal is a capper, not a camper, but the roof will pop up like a Westfalia and have a sleeping platform that will allow me to stretch out comfortably.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ended up going with a soft cover, the one that flips up in three parts.
It installs and uninstalls easy and I can store it when I'm not using it. I'm worried about how the vinyl will hold up to ski season and AZ sun but it was pretty cheap and it seems to seal out dust and moisture so mission accomplished hopefully. Thanks for the suggestions and info.

Truck out exploring this morning with the cover installed:
IMG_0885.jpg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any objections to a 2012 Sequoia Limited 5.7 w/128K owned by a friend since new and serviced at the dealer? Probably to replace my first gen Tundra or wife's MDX. No immediate need to make a change, but seems like I'll regret it in a few years if I don't buy it when I'm looking for a similar vehicle.

I've been going back and forth between replacing my truck with another Tundra or a Sequoia. Leaning toward the Tundra lately, but pretty sure the Sequoia will work if I can get skis in back with the third row down. A box on top of a Sequoia is too tall for where I often park skiing (barely fits with the MDX), so I was thinking of putting it over the bed of a 2nd gen Tundra. Now thinking, maybe, I can build a platform in the back of the Sequoia to put the skis under while still seating four and our dog in the first two rows. Got to go measure it.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Any objections to a 2012 Sequoia Limited 5.7 w/128K owned by a friend since new and serviced at the dealer? Probably to replace my first gen Tundra or wife's MDX. No immediate need to make a change, but seems like I'll regret it in a few years if I don't buy it when I'm looking for a similar vehicle.

I've been going back and forth between replacing my truck with another Tundra or a Sequoia. Leaning toward the Tundra lately, but pretty sure the Sequoia will work if I can get skis in back with the third row down. A box on top of a Sequoia is too tall for where I often park skiing (barely fits with the MDX), so I was thinking of putting it over the bed of a 2nd gen Tundra. Now thinking, maybe, I can build a platform in the back of the Sequoia to put the skis under while still seating four and our dog in the first two rows. Got to go measure it.

You gotta measure. I can fit 188’s behind the second row of my first gen. It’s tight, but I’d sure think a 2012 would work given the size bump. Of course, when skis barely fit diagonally you end up piling them.

I’ve made peace with taking a rooftop box on and off as needed. That’s really the ultimate versatility.

Personally, Sequoia all day every day. Having everything inside is just so much easier. You buy the Tundra and you have to deal with keeping boots warm in limited space, coats that kids don’t want to wear for the ride, etc.

All less fun as they get bigger especially if you have the dog, too. Of course, next question is second row captains chairs vs. bench seat for doggo...

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The question is...how much does he want for the Sequoia :)

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Personally, Sequoia all day every day. Having everything inside is just so much easier. You buy the Tundra and you have to deal with keeping boots warm in limited space, coats that kids don’t want to wear for the ride, etc.

I’m sure it’s personal preference but I have owned 2 Sequoia and am on my 4th Crew Cab Tundra and I much prefer the Tundra as my ski vehicle. The hard tri-fold covered bed provides plenty of room for skis with easy access and no mess or sharp edges in the cab area and the large cab area gives us plenty of room to spread out and haul gear. When I used the Sequoia for skiing we ended up buying a box which is simply a pain compared to the truck bed.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I’m sure it’s personal preference but I have owned 2 Sequoia and am on my 4th Crew Cab Tundra and I much prefer the Tundra as my ski vehicle. The hard tri-fold covered bed provides plenty of room for skis with easy access and no mess or sharp edges in the cab area and the large cab area gives us plenty of room to spread out and haul gear. When I used the Sequoia for skiing we ended up buying a box which is simply a pain compared to the truck bed.

That’s good perspective. I’m probably too used to four kids and two dogs and packing every centimeter.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My Tacoma's aftermarket hard panel FlipBak MX4 tonneau cover which locks when the tailgate locks, makes a great ski box. The 6'1" box allows skis to go straight in. I have had SUVs and station wagon and hatchbacks but I find a pickup bed is way more practical, all year round.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies!

You gotta measure. I can fit 188’s behind the second row of my first gen. It’s tight, but I’d sure think a 2012 would work given the size bump. Of course, when skis barely fit diagonally you end up piling them.

I’ve made peace with taking a rooftop box on and off as needed. That’s really the ultimate versatility.

All less fun as they get bigger especially if you have the dog, too. Of course, next question is second row captains chairs vs. bench seat for doggo...
My longest skis are 181, so I'm pretty sure they will fit. I'll measure, of course! I also have two pair of them, so I could leave one pair in the mountains and one in the city. I'm generally the only one who day trips before A-basin season, so I could leave the family's skis in the mountains then throw the box on mid-April. It seems like we should be able to make it work.

Thankfully it has bench seats so that the doggo will be happily harnessed in the middle of the second row between the kiddos. He's good there in both the Tundra and MDX.

Thanks. You've hit on the Tundra advantages over the Sequoia for skiing. Add to that a roof box not working for us through most of the ski season on the Sequoia. That's why I was leaning toward the Tundra lately. I've been going back and forth for years, though.

On the plus side for the Sequoia, we do occasionally need a third-row for hauling family and extra kiddos around the city. For skiing, it's just four of us and a dog.

The Sequoia covers both the tough 4x4 and third-row requirements. With a Tundra, we need another vehicle for a third row, currently our MDX. With the third row covered by the Sequoia, we could fill that spot in the quiver with a smaller vehicle that is more fun to drive. Maybe a sports sedan or smaller SUV, but my wife's mom instincts may lead her to yet another third row.

Also, my wife won't drive a Tundra because it's too big. She seems willing to drive a Sequoia, though, at least occasionally. The Sequoia is smaller than the Tundra, and enough other Mom's drive them that it passes the sniff test. The Tundra TRD Pro I want is more my style, and I'd still prefer one. The Sequoia provides more overall utility for the family leaving room in the quiver for a fun car (G35 sedan --> G37 sedan --> GR Supra :D).

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The “transport other kids” aspect is maybe the most important.

I dunno, it’s awfully easy to raise a hatch and put skis in the back. I’ve aligned on the idea that a first gen Sequoia is a perfect ski rig just for me. Everything always fits without any arranging at all.

This is of course the key - buy what you want for you and then back into your justifications, not the other way around. I just don’t get excited for pickups of any kind, and some people are the other way around. After that you love how it all “fits”. :D

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The question is...how much does he want for the Sequoia :)
Don't know yet. I'm assuming a fair price to a pretty good deal. KBB is $16-20Kish.

I'd love some feedback from the good folks here on this thinking:

I'm putting a pretty high value on knowing where this vehicle has been, who's been driving it, and that it is well serviced. Enough that I otherwise wouldn't be looking right now, but feeling like I should jump on this opportunity at the right price.

If I had to buy a Tundra/Sequoia now, I'd probably go certified with lower miles at twice the price. Knowing where this vehicle has been gives me comfort with 128K miles. Those miles are all either suburban kid hauling or driving to their mountain place 3.5 hours away, so lots of highway miles.

I've been planning to wait until the third generation Tundra/Sequoia comes out in 2021 or 2022. I'd either buy a new third-generation and drive it forever, or pick up a used second-generation when everybody waiting for over a decade finally upgrades.

Do I change plans to jump at an opportunity on a higher mileage vehicle that's a known quantity?

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Don't know yet. I'm assuming a fair price to a pretty good deal. KBB is $16-20Kish.

I'd love some feedback from the good folks here on this thinking:

I'm putting a pretty high value on knowing where this vehicle has been, who's been driving it, and that it is well serviced.

Do I change plans to jump at an opportunity on a higher mileage vehicle that's a known quantity?

I wouldn’t worry too much about jumping unless the price is too good to pass up. Here’s one looking minty with a transferable warranty, same price range:

https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/d/lyons-2010-toyota-sequoia-limited/6958354789.html

The second gens have yet to get out of a long value curve, so they feel like average deals no matter what.

128K is not high mileage, though. That range is more the “we’re going to sell it before the more expensive maintenance items hit”. The higher mileage rigs have often had all that stuff done, so as long as the cosmetics are good they can be younger under the skin for half the price.

Maintenance over miles. Low mileage used cars are terrible values.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
128K is not even broken in. You've got another 250K 'in the tank' with a Toyota.

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
128K is not even broken in. You've got another 250K 'in the tank' with a Toyota.

For what it’s worth, I just bought a 2012 Sequioa with 118k miles as our ski vehicle. Haven’t actually used it for skiing yet, but looking forward to it.

For me the third row was needed for when friends come to town, and it can haul my family of 4 and luggage with the third row down.

Looking to get some Weather Tech floor mats for it soon. Anyone else have them installed?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For what it’s worth, I just bought a 2012 Sequioa with 118k miles as our ski vehicle. Haven’t actually used it for skiing yet, but looking forward to it.

Looking to get some Weather Tech floor mats for it soon. Anyone else have them installed?

Have had Sequioas, 4Runners, Tundras......F150’s....I get my Husky floor mats or WeatherTech (I like Husky better).....from AutoAnything.com. I have had very good experiences ordering from them....(price/convenience/fast shipping/service)

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies!

My longest skis are 181, so I'm pretty sure they will fit. I'll measure, of course! I also have two pair of them, so I could leave one pair in the mountains and one in the city. I'm generally the only one who day trips before A-basin season, so I could leave the family's skis in the mountains then throw the box on mid-April. It seems like we should be able to make it work.

Thankfully it has bench seats so that the doggo will be happily harnessed in the middle of the second row between the kiddos. He's good there in both the Tundra and MDX.

Thanks. You've hit on the Tundra advantages over the Sequoia for skiing. Add to that a roof box not working for us through most of the ski season on the Sequoia. That's why I was leaning toward the Tundra lately. I've been going back and forth for years, though.

On the plus side for the Sequoia, we do occasionally need a third-row for hauling family and extra kiddos around the city. For skiing, it's just four of us and a dog.

The Sequoia covers both the tough 4x4 and third-row requirements. With a Tundra, we need another vehicle for a third row, currently our MDX. With the third row covered by the Sequoia, we could fill that spot in the quiver with a smaller vehicle that is more fun to drive. Maybe a sports sedan or smaller SUV, but my wife's mom instincts may lead her to yet another third row.

Also, my wife won't drive a Tundra because it's too big. She seems willing to drive a Sequoia, though, at least occasionally. The Sequoia is smaller than the Tundra, and enough other Mom's drive them that it passes the sniff test. The Tundra TRD Pro I want is more my style, and I'd still prefer one. The Sequoia provides more overall utility for the family leaving room in the quiver for a fun car (G35 sedan --> G37 sedan --> GR Supra :D).

By all means, buy what fits your needs most of the time. I just happen to own both and prefer the Tundra for my ski trips. YMMV!

They’re both very good vehicles imo and I could certainly make do with either!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks again for all the thoughts. No movement on the deal. Haven't even been to look at it. It's getting serviced and detailed first.
I wouldn’t worry too much about jumping unless the price is too good to pass up. Here’s one looking minty with a transferable warranty, same price range:

https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/d/lyons-2010-toyota-sequoia-limited/6958354789.html

The second gens have yet to get out of a long value curve, so they feel like average deals no matter what.

128K is not high mileage, though. That range is more the “we’re going to sell it before the more expensive maintenance items hit”. The higher mileage rigs have often had all that stuff done, so as long as the cosmetics are good they can be younger under the skin for half the price.

Maintenance over miles. Low mileage used cars are terrible values.
Thanks for that perspective. I'm hoping it's too good to pass up, say the low end of the trade-in value. I'll probably pass otherwise. Not a fan of the black color for a vehicle I'll likely keep until it's 20 years old.

What's really interesting to me is the different perspectives on age, mileage, and the value curve.

I haven't bought a vehicle outside the factory warranty since the first car I bought in college. I've either bought new or used with a year or so of the factory warranty remaining. I'll then keep those vehicles to 150-200K miles. That's always been my comfort zone. Other folks have different comfort zones, of course.

What's so great about Toyota 4x4's is there's a strong market of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc, owners because of their durability and reliability. Given the great resale value, I think all those owners are getting fantastic values relative to other vehicles they might purchase. The lowest cost, of course, is the older and higher mileage vehicles. But you have to be comfortable with the risks, OK driving an older vehicle, and probably able and willing to wrench when you get way out on the value curve.

With that thinking, I'm feeling the great opportunity for me here is to step further on the value curve and buy an older and higher mileage vehicle than I'd otherwise be comfortable buying. That's because it's from my friend and I know where the truck has been.

If I don't buy this Sequoia, I'll probably be back to my original plan of waiting until the next generation Tundra/Sequoia come out and either buy new or grab a second-gen with 30Kish miles. There's going to be a lot of second-gens for sale when the third-gen comes out.

Does anyone see any holes in my thinking?

Last edited:
Reactions: nay

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks again for all the thoughts. No movement on the deal. Haven't even been to look at it. It's getting serviced and detailed first.

Thanks for that perspective. I'm hoping it's too good to pass up, say the low end of the trade-in value. I'll probably pass otherwise. Not a fan of the black color for a vehicle I'll likely keep until it's 20 years old.

What's really interesting to me is the different perspectives on age, mileage, and the value curve.

I haven't bought a vehicle outside the factory warranty since the first car I bought in college. I've either bought new or used with a year or so of the factory warranty remaining. I'll then keep those vehicles to 150-200K miles. That's always been my comfort zone. Other folks have different comfort zones, of course.

What's so great about Toyota 4x4's is there's a strong market of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc, owners because of their durability and reliability. Given the great resale value, I think all those owners are getting fantastic values relative to other vehicles they might purchase. The lowest cost, of course, is the older and higher mileage vehicles. But you have to be comfortable with the risks, OK driving an older vehicle, and probably able and willing to wrench when you get way out on the value curve.

With that thinking, I'm feeling the great opportunity for me here is to step further on the value curve and buy an older and higher mileage vehicle than I'd otherwise be comfortable buying. That's because it's from my friend and I know where the truck has been.

If I don't buy this Sequoia, I'll probably be back to my original plan of waiting until the next generation Tundra/Sequoia come out and either buy new or grab a second-gen with 30Kish miles. There's going to be a lot of second-gens for sale when the third-gen comes out.

I think you’ll be fine regardless of whether you jump at a great deal on a used vehicle or wait. We are on our 2nd Sequoia, 4th Tundra, 2nd Venza and 3rd Prius and beyond tires, brakes and normal service we have run them all to reasonably high milage without issue and still got great resale value. I paid about $35k for my 2014 Tundra, ran it to 189k miles and sold it for about $19k when I bought my current 2018. They last and hold value.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

Sounds spot on.

I’m only comfortable at the flat part of the value curve because I’m comfortable with everything but electrical gremlins and major component rebuilds. The idea of a car payment makes me break out in hives. I mean, I like the idea, just except for the payment part :P.

And I spent Friday afternoon replacing the AC compressor on the ‘04 4Runner, which I would say is feeling less like a steal these days except I have $5K to spend to breakeven based on what I paid for it.

Buying a 2012 at 130K for say $17K and keeping it to 300K is obviously an amazing value. It tends to all play out when you take a 20+ year view over the typical 8 years.