• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which wax for big temp swings.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like this long weekend has big temp swing. 5F on Sat, 20F on Sun, and 33F on Mon. Should I just stick with cold wax? Last time I used my universal wax on a cold day, my skis were sticking like crazy.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Normally wax for cold but carry a chunk of warmer wax in the work parka pocket.

If having the wrong wax is our problem of the week we live blessed lives. (Unless you are a WC racer).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hot wax skis for cold weather.. small block of warm weather wax in your pocket. Warm can be easily crayoned on to the skis. Don't even really need to cork it when temps are above about 38F. The bumps add structure. Only lasts half a day or so rubbed on but easy and effective over a thin layer of colt snow wax.

Warm weather wax on a really cold day can actually result in frost sticking to your ski bases.. No bueno!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Looks like this long weekend has big temp swing. 5F on Sat, 20F on Sun, and 33F on Mon. Should I just stick with cold wax? Last time I used my universal wax on a cold day, my skis were sticking like crazy.

There is also a thing where you mix cold wax with just a smidge of warm warm for internal lubrication. If that 5F is actually predicted for the bottom of a 3000 foot hill and the top is probably closer to -4F, try that. And BRUSH LIKE CRAZY.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Have tested. Awesome.

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier
683B97AC-C460-47C4-B71C-969F417B44A9.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online