• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

While we are on the subject of food...Post your meat on the bone

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Was sent to get thin cut pork chops, but could only find 1" cuts. The horror if it all. So much work to pan sear and finish in the oven. Had to make a milk gravy to try to clean the pan.

Here's the meat on the first turn in the pan..

View attachment 118603

If not too offensive, here's a plate with some extraneous green and orange stuff.

View attachment 118605
Is that a classic black cast iron frying pan? They are great for pork chops.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Note to self: When @Plai asks you to bring skis, say yes and maybe you a nice slab of meat.
Re
Is that a classic black cast iron frying pan? They are great for pork chops.
Yup, standard Lodge 12" cast iron fry pan. Love the crust/sear it provides. Love the non-stick performance.
And more versatile than just searing chops/steaks, .....

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't do nuthin'. I swear. Wasn't me. Nuthin', I tell ya. :ogbiggrin:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
There shall be no bones about it this Christmas.
20201225_124859.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
Re
Yup, standard Lodge 12" cast iron fry pan. Love the crust/sear it provides. Love the non-stick performance.
And more versatile than just searing chops/steaks, .....
We still have some cast iron frying pan from our parents, they must be 60 - 70 years old and they are just great. My mom used one all the time when I was growing up.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not on the bone and not cooked, but what the heck. Three corned beef and one pastrami curing in vacuum, and a 14# USDA Prime ribeye roast in a dry-aging bag. In about a week the pastrami gets cold-smoked, then rebagged and frozen alongside the corned beef for future use. I figure six weeks for the roast (tbd), then I'll trim it into steaks and freeze those too.
IMG_20210106_223749444.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
Not on the bone and not cooked, but what the heck. Three corned beef and one pastrami curing in vacuum, and a 14# USDA Prime ribeye roast in a dry-aging bag. In about a week the pastrami gets cold-smoked, then rebagged and frozen alongside the corned beef for future use. I figure six weeks for the roast (tbd), then I'll trim it into steaks and freeze those too. View attachment 120251
I have thought about that dry aging and it seems good but still a lot of work finding the origin of the cut of meat, to ensure that the aging will work correctly.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have thought about that dry aging and it seems good but still a lot of work finding the origin of the cut of meat, to ensure that the aging will work correctly.
Why do you say that? I've never heard that origin was important at all, other than the standard sanitation precautions and the bit about how breed and diet can provide improved flavor.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
Why do you say that? I've never heard that origin was important at all, other than the standard sanitation precautions and the bit about how breed and diet can provide improved flavor.
When I first thought about dry aging, the research I came across said knowing the source of the meat was important. Since I get my meat from a large supermarket chain and not a standard butcher, I wouldn't know if the meat was previously frozen. The previously frozen part the research said was bad.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I first thought about dry aging, the research I came across said knowing the source of the meat was important. Since I get my meat from a large supermarket chain and not a standard butcher, I wouldn't know if the meat was previously frozen. The previously frozen part the research said was bad.
Hmmm... interesting. Never heard that before. Well, I got mine from Costco during the yearly $9/lb sale, so we'll all know late next month.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There used to be bones...
20210109_181634.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online