• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Whistler - Creekside Gondola not yet ready!!!

Vicmoto

Booting up
Skier
Dear all,
I've been planning a ski week in Whistler for months. I've got the flight tickets from Europe and the apartment (in Creekside) paid for. Now I got the news that the Creekside gondola and the Big Red Express Chairlift won't be ready on time for the season's opening on Nov.24 :geek:
Does anybody know when they expect to be ready? Not opening in time can mean anything: days, weeks, months...
I will be arriving on 18th December and I fear (a lot) the legendary lift lines at Whistler.
Any info?
Thanks
Víctor

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Not a surprise that they aren't ready on time - hey it's big skiing have grand plans and not enough contingencies. If it is at all controllable they'll be ready for your week* because the Xmas crowds will be there in force. If its waiting on Doppelmeyer etc producing parts who knows where they'll be in the queue. Red is at least workable around although the flat run round to Garbanzo isn't a joy and it would ruin the generally best chair on the mountain for fast laps.

If it's not ready super early bus** to the village as remember all the Creekside parking will be needing to take the bus too.

* I mean this can never be guaranteed as the mgt at Copper proved one Xmas pre pandemic.
** Assuming they don't have another bus strike

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
Dear all,
I've been planning a ski week in Whistler for months. I've got the flight tickets from Europe and the apartment (in Creekside) paid for. Now I got the news that the Creekside gondola and the Big Red Express Chairlift won't be ready on time for the season's opening on Nov.24 :geek:
Does anybody know when they expect to be ready? Not opening in time can mean anything: days, weeks, months...
I will be arriving on 18th December and I fear (a lot) the legendary lift lines at Whistler.
Any info?
Thanks
Víctor

I'm skiing W-B 12/19-23 so I've been watching the progress on these projects. Big Red should be opening in the next week. All chairs have been attached, and they're in the final testing phase now. Obviously that doesn't help with uploading for those staying in Creekside (I'm staying in the Village). However, from posts I've read on Reddit, the shuttles to the Village have been running smoothly.

Creekside will be iffy for completion prior to Christmas. They finished stringing the ropeway earlier this week and splicing was to begin on Wednesday. If it isn't done in time for your trip, hopefully they'll get some snow down to the valley and you'll be able to ride out to Creekside instead of having to shuttle both ways.

I'm heading to Vancouver next weekend with my wife to visit my in-laws. I'm gonna try and slip away for a day trip to W-B and will probably park at Creekside. If I do, I'l post an update

TS
Vicmoto

Vicmoto

Booting up
Skier
Dear Gilligan,
Thanks very much for such priceless information!!! I am looking forward to the update in case you make it to creekside :)

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
Dear Gilligan,
Thanks very much for such priceless information!!! I am looking forward to the update in case you make it to creekside :)

Made it Whistler on Friday. My wife didn't want me driving back to Vancouver in the dark so I "had" to stay overnight and ski a half day Saturday. I stayed in the village so didn't take the shuttle from Creekside. Spoke with few locals about the gondola, hoping someone would have some inside knowledge but no luck. It sounds like it's going open when it opens. I did ride up the chair with someone who had skied out to Creekside. Said it wasn't great but doable.

Sponsor

Staff online