• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Whistler or Aspen

Whistler or Aspen

• Whistler Jan 29th - Feb 5th 2022

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Aspen Colorado March 26th - April 2nd 2022

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've only skied Aspen (Snowmass) once on spring break from C.U. Boulder in approx 1977. I avoided it mostly because of expensive/snooty reputation and distance to travel.

But I had a great time and never felt unwelcome or outclassed. Lots of booze helps. And friends to share the experience with who are at the same economic level (ski bum).

I actually came back with more cash than I arrived with, but I did sell some "goods" when I was there.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Snowmass definitely feels different than the Town of Aspen and is closer to the norm as far as ski towns go (if you can call Snowmass a town).

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
I.E. après ski to me is beer, half price apps, and a bar stool. après in Aspen is oysters, fine wine, and white table cloths.
This is an Aspen stereotype. In reality, there is a wide variety of bars and restaurants in Aspen. Unlike purpose-built resorts i.e. Vail or Whistler where the entire ecosystem is contrived and to some extent is controlled by BigCorp, the city of Aspen is, in fact, a historic mountain town with a diversity of businesses.

As a middle class person I have never felt out of place in Aspen. I am able to enjoy everything from beers on a barstool to more dressed-up settings. Pricing for food and beverage is on par with other big-name destinations. Lodging tends to be pricey but, then again, in Aspen I save time & money that otherwise would have been wasted on rental cars and transportation.

Last edited:

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
It's just that there was one person, who kind of invited herself along, who was really into the high-end restaurant scene and insisted on making reservations weeks in advance.
:doh: I’ve had this exact same experience on ski trips! Why is there always one person in every group who thinks going on a ski trip somehow equates a culinary adventure and inflicts his eating disorder onto the entire group? With some rare exceptions, the food at US ski resorts is overpriced and mediocre at best. When confronted with this type of person I usually feign multiple food allergies which gives me a free pass to sit-out on the frustratingly expensive ”fine” dining.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Haha, once when I was there they had massage at the top lodge on Ajax. It wasn’t that much more than the mall. I couldn’t resist.
But Aspen is terrible, don’t go there.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:doh: I’ve had this exact same experience on ski trips! Why is there always one person in every group who thinks going on a ski trip somehow equates to a culinary adventure and inflicts their eating disorder onto the entire group? With some rare exceptions, the food at US ski resorts is overpriced and mediocre at best. When confronted with this type of person I usually feign multiple food allergies which gives me a free pass to sit-out on the frustratingly expensive ”fine” dining.

You are a good man, Charlie Brown. :golfclap::roflmao:

Me, I am usually a bit more direct. "Fine dining in a ski town? You serious?" :nono:

Now, if @James and @Tony S are doing Fish sauce shot. I will bring the Red Boat. :ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tony’s making sushi with grilled cicadas, and Redboat chasers.

Yum. Can't wait. :doh:

Deep fry the cicadas and just tell them it's a spider roll. :ogcool:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just reserved a studio condo at Snowmass for the Gathering so that I have the option of preparing my own meals.

However, I would be willing to cancel that for a group house that includes some "iron chef" action. Preferably without cicadas. But who knows? That could be become the next Uber-expensive trend at Aspen.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You use to be able to eat on the cheap in Aspen if you were good with McDonalds. They were around for a long time. Gone now as is another place that I thought was ok. The Meatball Shack. Now we pretty much just go to the White House Tavern or Brunelleshi's. Yep, even been to Clark's for oysters.

@SBrown do you know if the Little Ollies in Aspen is part of the group on the front range?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I booked 2/26/22 - 3/5/22.

Does that make it official?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

James

Out There
Instructor
Iron Chef action??
It’s hard enough getting people to pose for a picture. The logistics would be ootq. Trying to think what we did the last time st the Aspen house. Some people were sick, some ate their healthy bug equivalent dishes.

I do remember getting there before the house was unlocked. So I shoveled the path. Still not there, now it’s quite dark. Then shoveled the light sculptures.

07650DF9-1CDB-493B-A606-340370732DC2.jpeg

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Iron Chef action??
It’s hard enough getting people to pose for a picture. The logistics would be ootq. Trying to think what we did the last time st the Aspen house. Some people were sick, some ate their healthy bug equivalent dishes.

I do remember getting there before the house was unlocked. So I shoveled the path. Still not there, now it’s quite dark. Then shoveled the light sculptures.

View attachment 135483

You are hanging out with the wrong people. :ogcool:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
some ate their healthy bug equivalent dishes
And of course because I was sick I couldn't properly express my "eek"s at the way-too-healthy victuals because the obvious and irrefutable response was, "If you were eating this you wouldn't be sick."

James

Out There
Instructor
And of course because I was sick I couldn't properly express my "eek"s at the way-too-healthy victuals because the obvious and irrefutable response was, "If you were eating this you wouldn't be sick."
Then there’s at least one that doesn’t believe in seasoning. I.e., salt.
In May, there’s always cooking of some sort. I don’t think anyone pays attention to the anti-salt faction.