• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Whitefish

s15199d

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My crew (8 men) is headed to Whitefish the first week in February. We usually use BlackTie Skis for rentals on our trips, but Whitefish isn't one of their locations. Does anyone have local knowledge of a good spot for rentals?

Also we're looking at snowcat skiing with greatnorthernpowderguides.com We've got very limited snowcat skiing experience. Any tips for a successful snowcat skiing day would be appreciated.

Last but not least...we always do one nice dinner on these trips. Usually a steak place. Any recs in Whitefish/Kalispell?

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Food--I'd try Tupelo Grill and Abruzzo. Both in Whitefish.

I'm sure Great Northern can cater to the needs of your group, as far as difficulty. With 8 clients you are probably not that far away cost wise from a private cat.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My crew (8 men) is headed to Whitefish the first week in February. We usually use BlackTie Skis for rentals on our trips, but Whitefish isn't one of their locations. Does anyone have local knowledge of a good spot for rentals?

Also we're looking at snowcat skiing with greatnorthernpowderguides.com We've got very limited snowcat skiing experience. Any tips for a successful snowcat skiing day would be appreciated.

Last but not least...we always do one nice dinner on these trips. Usually a steak place. Any recs in Whitefish/Kalispell?
I'd certainly be looking at demo rentals. Which means it depends on what skis you are interested in. Sportsmen Ski Haus will have the biggest selection, but it's downtown, as are all the others except for the mountain's demo center. That demo center is fine if they have what you want.

Oddly, there is no place I actually think of for steak. And really, I think you'd be more assured of getting dinner in a condo. Because who knows what's going to be open and serving by then? Bullock the governor will probably be replaced by a Republican and all Bullock's rules tossed. But Whitefish has been more quick to issue special ordinances to address local needs. The county positivity rate for testing is hovering around 20%. The regional hospital is maxed out on their ICU beds. You don't even know if the ski area will still be open, let alone restaurants. If you were coming in 2022 I'd send you to Tupelo Grille and Abruzzo. But this year? Some place with curb service.

TS
s15199d

s15199d

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for the recs @Sibhusky! I hope/pray COVID is under better control come February, so my crew can enjoy our annual dudes ski trip!

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
I second Ski Haus for rentals - Have used them twice. They are also connected to a nice brewery with a nice selection of craft beers.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I second Ski Haus for rentals - Have used them twice. They are also connected to a nice brewery with a nice selection of craft beers.
Wrong place. You are talking about Tamarack, maybe, and the Tap Room. Sportsman Ski Haus is in a mall. Unless you are referring to Bonsai Brewing, which moved to its own building on Wisconsin years ago. (It's now walkable to Tamarack.)

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yep you are right - I stand corrected. I'm sure Ski Haus is nice... I would recommend Tamarack then and the tap room next door. Thanks @Sibhusky

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Abruzzo was great last season when we were there. Also Hell Roaring on the mountain was one of the better meals.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
@Sibhusky
Why didn't they post a picture of the lift lines or the parking lots this year??? The removal/shutdown of the webcam that showed the chair 1 lift line wasn't 'appropriate' in my opinion. Let the people see what it's really like! But NBC is looking good in that photo....

-Chris

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Here's one of the best pics I've seen of NBC. Not mine, was posted today on a tourist board Facebook page.
View attachment 122068

I love the whole North Bowl and T-bar area of the mountain. It gives great options for me when skiing with family--i.e. groups can split and find enjoyable routes down depending on skill, and then meet for the ride.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
@Sibhusky
Why didn't they post a picture of the lift lines or the parking lots this year??? The removal/shutdown of the webcam that showed the chair 1 lift line wasn't 'appropriate' in my opinion. Let the people see what it's really like! But NBC is looking good in that photo....

-Chris
I had emailed them early on and they claimed there was a problem with the camera due to its age. It was probably due to its location, I agree.