• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Who designs this crap?

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Seventeen years ago I purchased a DNA-brand shell parka that has every feature I love--including a detachable hood and a lumbar pocket. Think I can find anything like that today? NOBODY has a shell with detachable hood. NOBODY has a shell with the back pocket.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Marketing using "customer surveys" and focus groups dictates results to the designers.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seventeen years ago I purchased a DNA-brand shell parka that has every feature I love--including a detachable hood and a lumbar pocket. Think I can find anything like that today? NOBODY has a shell with detachable hood. NOBODY has a shell with the back pocket.
And further more DNA is no longer available in NA.
The hostile takeover at Descente last year has left them out of the North American market.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A little off-thread..but I can't understand why every house in Canada (except for those smarms on Vancouver Island..:ogbiggrin:) does not have a proper mud room with access to the garage and basement. Like, it snows here for at least 3 months of the year! Most places for 4 months. And we have these stupid little entrances into a hardwood floor foyer or living room. It makes NO sense. I tell home guys that I know and they look at me like I have a third arm growing out of my head... Same vein..I guess it's marketing driven? No clue...

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't help but smile.
For years, I've been telling people the worst 3 words in the world for middle-aged people are "New and Improved".

TS
Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Marketing using "customer surveys" and focus groups dictates results to the designers.
So idiots who never wear the crap but keep buying because they can't find a satisfactory one, I suppose.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
And further more DNA is no longer available in NA.
The hostile takeover at Descente last year has left them out of the North American market.

Yep, I was replying that Descente has what he's looking for, but of course they're not bringing new product into NA this season. However, Peter Glenn still has a good selection and you can find last season's stuff at other outlets.

The Descente jacket in my avatar, has the detachable hood and lumbar pocket. And no, I'm not selling it. ;)

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I worked as an apparel product manager, so I dictated the needs for garments to our artistic design & tech design teams. I made my decisions off of sales data (both within my brand and other brands), product reviews, and design trends. Everything costs money - down to the number of seams and the stitching techniques used to make them. If I'm going to add features that increase production costs, I need to see evidence that they correlate with high unit volume in sales data and high product reviews - even better when they get called out positively in the body of the review.

I can see how the prevalence of backcountry skiing and inbound avalanches killed off the lumbar pocket since more skiers are riding with packs.

Pretty much any style outside of core silhouettes come and go over time as trends in fashion and skiing both change. But if it makes you feel any better, there's a 25 year old park rat who's going to be totally devastated when he can't replace his camouflage anorak in 5-8 years.

sky_chicken

Putting on skis
Skier
My wife this year gave me a fancy new Patagucci ski jacket that I have yet to test out. Looks way fancier than the falling apart Burton snowboarding jacket that I had been wearing and bought for peanuts on sale. All I can think about is that I will miss the pass pocket (what!) and that I could carry 2 brown bag lunches and water bottles easily in all the massive pockets on that Burton. Now my PBJ will have to just get squished.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
My North Face shell I wore for 10 years did have an zippered hood... frankly (personal taste here), I never bothered to unzip the hood, because I know I will end up losing it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Then adding up the costs for each feature like extra zipper or snaps to make the hood removable.. Extra material and high labor sewing to make the lumbar pocket for the hood then deciding that cuts too much profit out of the price people surveyed say they'd pay for the shell

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This was a great thread already because of the title, but the following is just brilliant.

But if it makes you feel any better, there's a 25 year old park rat who's going to be totally devastated when he can't replace his camouflage anorak in 5-8 years.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe we need a curmudgeon thread....
Definitely count me in. I want pocket zippers that zip down instead if up. I want rain flap zipper covers instead of supposedly rain resistant uncoverd zippers. Wrecked a brand new jacket like that when my ski edge bumped the edge of the zipper tape right along the teeth and cut the thread.. Didn't notice and it ran all day until it was toast. Yes, can send it back but still a poor, but much cheaper to make design..

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I worked as an apparel product manager, so I dictated the needs for garments to our artistic design & tech design teams. I made my decisions off of sales data (both within my brand and other brands), product reviews, and design trends. Everything costs money - down to the number of seams and the stitching techniques used to make them. If I'm going to add features that increase production costs, I need to see evidence that they correlate with high unit volume in sales data and high product reviews - even better when they get called out positively in the body of the review.

Okay, I get that. That's a good way to go. Serious question: So who's doing the innovation then?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The manufacturing thing kills me. Nike bought back in the 90's, tried to make their own skates overseas, they sucked. Then they merged ops with Bauer to try to make better skates, but even after farming out the mfg overseas the skates tripled in price. No wonder hockey is declining...$300 stick and $900 skates. Serious? $400 ice time for 15 skaters to practice 4x a week year round. Who plays hockey in the summer??? Crazy hockey parents' kids, that's who. I see Arc'teryx selling $800 shells and I'm like, seriously? I can buy "technical" tees at Old Navy for $9. Nobody can convince me the $85 Lululemon one is better.. Where's that damn curmudgeon thread?!?! :roflmao: