• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Who designs this crap?

James

Out There
Instructor
Can I tell everyone again how uniformly lousy built in boot heating is? The battery technology just isn't ready for prime time as failure rates are ridiculously high.
What boots have built in heating?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I have been using the Eddie Bauer Weather Edge jackets for years. They have enough pockets for me, although I have not tried to ski with a mask yet, some of the hoods roll up into the collar others don't but hoods are a low priority for me. I don't know or have any feedback about their woman's jackets.
I'm on my 4th Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 jacket. They've added and subtracted and readded pockets with each one. Stay away from the waterproof zippers, they suddenly self destruct on a sub-zero day when the coil goes. I'll never buy another jacket with them. They've also give from removable hood to permanent and back and then permanent again. That hood has always stayed up fine over my helmet, it has drawstrings which you adjust once and that's it. The nice thing is that most of the compatible parts for one jacket have worked also with the other jackets, even 15 years later. So my ancient PrimaLoft liner will zip into my current jacket, which came with a down liner, if I want a shade less warmth.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
A jacket pass pocket is now on my checklist of required items. While I always liked that extra little pocket, RFID turned this into a requirement.

My pet peeve is Velcro. I hate velcro. For me, the only acceptable velcro on a jacket is the cuffs.
^^ this all day on jackets. What the heck are they thinking with putting velcro on a zipper placket? Hence, none of my jackets have a placket. Pants I can get past the velcro adjusters, but prefer them on the inside like on my Patagonia Powder Bowl. My son only has use of one hand and without velcro adjusters he would be seriously frustrated as belts are a pain in the a$$ for him.

I don't like hoods either as they don't stay up when skiing
That would be seriously annoying. My FlyLow Billie jacket (men's version is Quantum Pro) hood is great - with the hood up and over the helmet, it zips to the top and always stays put.

James

Out There
Instructor
A jacket pass pocket is now on my checklist of required items. While I always liked that extra little pocket, RFID turned this into a requirement.
On the sleeve cuff?
Yeah, I agreed, then we switched out the rfid gates and now it doesn’t matter.

Hoods -used to be anti, now a total user. For one, they keep me from freezing since the helmet won’t. Plus, we get a lot of rain.

Then there’s those other days.

74ABE5AC-889B-4881-97F2-3CB864865AC9.jpeg

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
On the sleeve cuff?
Yes, pass pocket somewhere on the sleeve - I don't care if it is shoulder or forearm, but I am loving being able to wave an arm instead of well, another body part, to be seen by the RFID gate, lol.

In terms of hoods....that "other day".....it must have been snowing something fierce :roflmao:

TS
Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
SOLUTION!!!!! My new shell with removable hood is from Froggtoggs. It's their Pilot Pro jacket. It's even a nice RED color, but not as bright as I'd like. Has the two-way front zipper so I can open the bottom for sitting on a chair. Has a bundle of pockets. And it's an uninsulated waterproof/breathable shell I can layer under. Can't wait to try it out!!!

Kahuna

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
NOBODY has a shell with detachable hood.
This Dainese jacket has a detatchable hood and the liner is not attached to the shell in any way. The quality is fantastic and they have a great end of season sale running. Beware Euro cut. Not sure about their other jackets but I was surprised and happy when this one arrived with a zip off hood. It does not state so in the description.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My beef is that women's jackets never have decent sized pockets ... including my HH jackets. I have an HH Kimberly that at least does have an inside goggle pocket and that is helpful. By the time I put my cat tracks in the front hand pockets, they are quite full. I would never have room to carry a sandwich in any of my jackets. I don't really carry much, but slightly larger hand pockets would be helpful. I am limited to cat track brand only as the other brands, like skiskooty, won't fit in my pockets. I used to try to stash them at the base of the mountain but they always got stolen. Those Skiskooties are popular!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
That's why, contrary to current fashion and subject to wise remarks from lifties, I use a fanny pack. It holds not only my camera but a spare pair of Abom's (as the new ones lasted no longer than my first pair) and snacks and money and goggle wipes and extra masks and. .

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just buy this at dicks for $ 187 and stop worrying about it. The xl runs big.

Mountain Hardwear Men's Cloud Bank Gore-Tex Jacket

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This year for spring skiing, I repurposed an old Roadrunner Sports running jacket. XLT, lumbar pocket, detachable hood, chest pocket for the pass, and vents on the upper back. If I get warm, just unzip the front a little and let the air flow through.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's why, contrary to current fashion and subject to wise remarks from lifties, I use a fanny pack. It holds not only my camera but a spare pair of Abom's (as the new ones lasted no longer than my first pair) and snacks and money and goggle wipes and extra masks and. .

Amen! Fannys rule! I get teased less when I wear mine in front (belly pack?) and that makes things far more accessible than pretty much any pocket on my jacket or pants. And for those glorious late Spring days when you strip down to just base layers without pockets fanny/belly packs are mandatory.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just buy this at dicks for $ 187 and stop worrying about it. The xl runs big.

Mountain Hardwear Men's Cloud Bank Gore-Tex Jacket

At that price, I'd be a buyer in a heartbeat if the hood were removable.

So close!

Sponsor