• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Who designs this crap?

Marathoner

Putting on skis
Skier
Just as important is whether the hood fits over a helmet in us long necked people. My wife particularly has this problem with her jackets.

I bought this hood from Burton so that I didn't have to use the hood on my gore-tex jacket. A hood increases the warmth significantly on inclement days. However, the hood on my jacket doesn't feel good when I have it up due to the size of my helmet. This separate Burton hood solves that problem - just make sure to get the XL which goes over the helmet.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I bought this hood from Burton so that I didn't have to use the hood on my gore-tex jacket. A hood increases the warmth significantly on inclement days. However, the hood on my jacket doesn't feel good when I have it up due to the size of my helmet. This separate Burton hood solves that problem - just make sure to get the XL which goes over the helmet.

Most of my jackets and shells the hood does fit over my helmet. But I also have an aftermarket hood for the coldest of days. To this day it is still brand new because I just haven't been out skiing during an overly cold day, but it is in my gear bag just in case.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here's me still wondering why I have never noticed my hood unless I pulled it up.

Obviously the market for no/detachable hood is small, or it would be a more common feature.

Cols714

Booting up
Skier
I would also like a detachable hood. But really my hood doesn't bother me that much and it fits over my helmet if needed. I just don't ever use it.,

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This year for spring skiing, I repurposed an old Roadrunner Sports running jacket. XLT, lumbar pocket, detachable hood, chest pocket for the pass, and vents on the upper back. If I get warm, just unzip the front a little and let the air flow through.
Sunday on Bunny Buster/Mouse Trap at Killington. RRS jacket did the job.

1619554760626.png

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can think of two companies off the top of my head that are mainstream (in Asia at least) with detachable hoods, and even size adjustable.

Mizuno has a jacket with hidden velcro on the collar and then in back it has snap-on buttons in two settings. One for helmet and one for non-helmet.

Descente has a similar function as well.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I juts found out this:

Removable hood.

At the price they ask for it, I decided I will buy it exactly...never.:roflmao::roflmao:

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dunno about Stockli parka, but in my experience pretty much all Kjus and many Phenix have zip off hoods. Yup, they’re pricey... but they generally last forever and have lots of the useful features - like well placed easy to access pockets inside and out...and all that other good stuff you didn’t know you needed/ liked untill you try it. Started wearing Kjus a few years after flying back to NY from Lillihammer talking with lasse Kjus enroute .... he was on the cusp of retiring from WC and talked about doing a clothes line that would have the stuff devoted skiers would like. Pricey... but cheaper than yet another pr of SR 95 or AR :)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pricey... but cheaper than yet another pr of SR 95 or AR :)

I'd much rather use this money to buy another pair of WRT ST than some jacket.
Of which I own far too many already.:ogbiggrin:
You can ski the whole season in 2 jackets and be fine. Skiing the whole season on 2 pairs of ski is something less appealing in my eyes.

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
The majority of "ski jackets" by which I mean insulated jackets , in europe at least have removable hoods. To my mind, a jacket with a good collar is far more useful for keeping warm than any hood. In most cases the shell-type jackets can't be snugged up properly unless the hood is raised, and the whole neck area is far more gapey with a fixed hood. I can count on one hand the number of times ive worn a hood over my helmet when skiing.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd much rather use this money to buy another pair of WRT ST than some jacket.
Of which I own far too many already.:ogbiggrin:
You can ski the whole season in 2 jackets and be fine. Skiing the whole season on 2 pairs of ski is something less appealing in my eyes.
My point is/ was: yup, ski the season in 2 jkts / parkas that you buy once... with all the features you desire, in a classic look and you’ll still be enjoying those jkts years later... long after umpteen prs of last years or earlier latest and greatest skis are gathering dust in the basement/ ski room . Not arguing against keeping Stocklli or others in business by having a monster quiver that resembles a WC wax room... with set ups for every conceivable condition, but for the price of one flat pair you could buy a jkt that is the answer to your wish list , even with that coveted zip off hood :).
Just sayin... and this is coming from an old racer who firmly believed the answer to my marginal technique was only ( yet again) another new piece of gear or a comprehensive equipment change . Kind of the masters racing motto: no prob that can’t be cured with new skis( boots, poles, socks, etc etc) .

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just sayin... and this is coming from an old racer who firmly believed the answer to my marginal technique was only ( yet again) another new piece of gear or a comprehensive equipment change . Kind of the masters racing motto: no prob that can’t be cured with new skis( boots, poles, socks, etc etc) .

Hold on....are you saying this is not actually the case? :geek: :geek: :eek: :eek:

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hold on....are you saying this is not actually the case? :geek: :geek: :eek: :eek:
Not reliably:)
Had a buddy ( who shall go nameless) who several times a season after an especially ugly race weekend would ditch most all his gear and show up for training the next time with new skis ( GS x 2, SLx2 etc) from a different company AND new boots( Atomic to Lange, Lange to Fischer etc ) convinced that was the answer to a crummy result. Funny thing was; he was actually a damned good skier/ racer , but would get frustrated. Drove the coaches nuts.
Best part: he was an Adult sports psychologist:). Hate to admit it but , he wasn’t alone in his periodic equipment overhaul.., we all did at just at far less frequent intervals. ‘Cause, you know, couldn’t be us... had to the skis. And that doesn’t include the endless messing around with bevels, boot fit, magic wax mixes. Too much time ( and money?) on our hands.
And don’t aske about all the summer camps: yeah: maybe Two sessions at Sas Fe or Les Deux Alps is the answer... endless.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
A jacket pass pocket is now on my checklist of required items. While I always liked that extra little pocket, RFID turned this into a requirement.

^^ this all day on jackets. What the heck are they thinking with putting velcro on a zipper placket? Hence, none of my jackets have a placket. Pants I can get past the velcro adjusters, but prefer them on the inside like on my Patagonia Powder Bowl. My son only has use of one hand and without velcro adjusters he would be seriously frustrated as belts are a pain in the a$$ for him.

That would be seriously annoying. My FlyLow Billie jacket (men's version is Quantum Pro) hood is great - with the hood up and over the helmet, it zips to the top and always stays put.

Flylow Quantum Best Shell Ever!

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I thought Obermeyer had a detachable hood. But I had a hood-ectamy performed on my jacket.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Too bad there isn't someone making custom ski clothing. I'm cheap but if it fits and has everything I want it could last me 15 years or more and be worth it.

Sponsor

Staff online