• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Who has Dish Network? Have you had this issue?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We've had Dish Network for years. For several of those years we have the following issue. We have two receivers, two tvs, and one dish. Randomly one or the other tvs will go black, then the receiver will start a reboot. The other tv will remain working. To me, that means I haven't lost signal. I've contacted Dish several times and get the same runaround of "are all the cables tight"? Yes. "Have you moved the receiver?" No, and what difference should that make? "Is there anything blocking the dish?" No, and if there was both tvs wouldn't work.

The only reason I stay with Dish is we have a portable dish unit for our 5th wheel that we use when camping, hunting, or working in the middle of Nevada on a random job site.

Has anyone had this issue and were you able to solve it?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Not that one but many annoyances with Dish.. However, cable alternative is almost double the cost for the same channels. So, many minor annoyances it shall be.. And ya, Dish Anywhere is great. Our college kid can watch his DVR stuff on his PC or phone.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not that one but many annoyances with Dish.. However, cable alternative is almost double the cost for the same channels. So, many minor annoyances it shall be.. And ya, Dish Anywhere is great. Our college kid can watch his DVR stuff on his PC or phone.
We are so old school we don't have a DVR model.:eek: Maybe that's the problem.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We are so old school we don't have a DVR model.:eek: Maybe that's the problem.
The hard drive Hopper PVRs have probably jumped the shark or will soon to cloud based video storage for your recording stuff.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been pm'ing with Dish for some time today. One of our units dropped out three times in a row today. That ticked me off to the point of contacting them. Again. So, we go through the "troubleshooting" until they determine we need a new unit. It will be sent out. VICTORY! for one unit. Since the other unit does the same exact random drop out I requested a second new unit. Nope. Gotta go through the troubleshooting when it drops out. What BS. We've gone through all the stuff before, more than once, including having a tech come out. Nothing changed. What a PIA.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
We got rid of DISH years back after having them for 13 years. Used DSL for everything and were thrilled with getting rid of DISH except for the fact that speed was so low we couldn't always have video on 2 screens at once. Now joyously have T-Mobile Home Internet. It's not Fiber, which I'd switch to in a heartbeat, but it's half the price of the DSL for eight times the speed. It's also apparently usable in RV's, as long as you have a T-Mobile signal. It's outside of the TOS to do that, but I've yet to hear of anyone losing service over it. $50/month. My own speeds run around 30-50 down, 15 up. But some folks in metro areas get 10 times that. They are still rolling it out, however, so it may not be in your area. I signed up immediately, but a neighbor was declined a few months later. Due to congestion issues they aren't offering it if they don't have bandwidth in the area. Wired service is more reliable, but if you live where there are few choices, it's the way to go. No throttling (although phones are given priority), no caps, no idiotic add-on fees, no contract. A flat $50/month.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We've had Dish Network for years. For several of those years we have the following issue. We have two receivers, two tvs, and one dish. Randomly one or the other tvs will go black, then the receiver will start a reboot. The other tv will remain working. To me, that means I haven't lost signal.

Except maybe you have lost signal.

If there aren't any rapid scene changes or 4K video even a vintage-2014 TV can buffer like 20 minutes of programming.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Except maybe you have lost signal.

If there aren't any rapid scene changes or 4K video even a vintage-2014 TV can buffer like 20 minutes of programming.
If we lost signal wouldn't both boxes go out if we're both watching separate tvs?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If we lost signal wouldn't both boxes go out if we're both watching separate tvs?

Eh, dropouts are a fact of life with satellite anything - every point in the chain is built with some buffering capacity to bridge the shorter intervals.

I wouldn't count on lost signal causing simultaneous box reboot unless the boxes are specifically programmed to do that.

(We still have my old Dish antenna and I should thank you for killing my niggling thought that maybe I'm missing out on something by not signing back up again).

Sponsor