• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Who Says We Don't?" African-American Ski Club Talks Love of Skiing and Need for Diversity on the Slopes

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
We often get groups from Chicago & Detroit but it's still a small percentage. It'd be great to see more diversity on our hills!

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Women have credit cards too, but I read about low numbers of women participating and see initiatives to change that.

Diversity makes things better for all of us.

The founders of the club's parent organization, National Brotherhood of Skiers, are being inducted into the US Ski-Snowboard Hall of Fame & Museum this year.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Uhhhhhh, every ticket counter I've encountered at XYZ resort takes plastic no matter what the color of the hand that's handing it over...
Money, or lack of it especially from a generational perspective, is probably the main factor keeping the number of non white skiers low. It helps a LOT when you parents were either skiers, or had the financial resources to empower you to learn at an early age. If you grow up in a community where nobody else skis or ice skates, plays hockey, etc, you're not nearly as likely to even consider trying it. As neighborhood demographics change towards more diversity, we'll see more diversity in all the other things around us. But, we're not there yet.

Pauldotcom

Booting up
Skier
Most skiers came from skiing families. Most skiing families back in the day had family money which is why they could afford to ski. Black folks did not have the same opportunities as white folks back in those days. Also, there are more black folks living down south then up north.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Most skiers came from skiing families. Most skiing families back in the day had family money which is why they could afford to ski. Black folks did not have the same opportunities as white folks back in those days. Also, there are more black folks living down south then up north.

My "people" come from farmers on shares in the Dakotas. Poor folk for sure.
In poor light, colors disappear.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last year REI's film series had a 10 min video on the NBS. They released it in Feb, 2019 (also black history month).
if you missed it. see below.
I thought it was really good, much more interesting than typical ski movies which start to be all the same after you've seen a dozen or so.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've attended some of the NBS Summit's (Gatherings) and Mini- Summit's. Park City, Keystone, Snowmass, Loon Mtn NH, and a smaller groups @ Alta, Sundance and Okemo. Fun times! A VERY different cultural vibe in and around the mtn. The pacing and feel was more like skiing w/ my European buddies while hanging in Spain and Andorra. Hard to explain, but in both cases I had to dial it back a bit on the actual skiing and learn to indulge more in the party and celebration of life. Lots of dancing in both cases! Definitely fun in a different way!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Women have credit cards too, but I read about low numbers of women participating and see initiatives to change that.

Diversity makes things better for all of us.

The founders of the club's parent organization, National Brotherhood of Skiers, are being inducted into the US Ski-Snowboard Hall of Fame & Museum this year.
Not sure how I missed this back in February, other than it came up when I was on the road for ski shows.
This rings true and is a sign of inspiration to make a difference in our own small way which can potentially have the desired ripple effect.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am really stoked that NBS exists and does what it does. Our sport would derive a lot of benefit from greater diversity. However, we white folks still have a lot of work to do for it happen as widely as it should. Aside from overt racism, we all harbor unrecognized biases and commit thoughtless acts of microagression without even realizing it. Chuck Harris reminded us of it back in June (see https://www.pugski.com/threads/open-letter-on-diversity-in-our-sport.20046/. )

I urge everyone to engage in some self-reflection, maybe read up on it then ask how you and we might improve our sport along these lines.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Diversity and inclusiveness was an 70's thing around here.
Not intending to down play anything by anyone, it's always good for equal participation in everything.
That being said I highly recommend helping to share the experience with a family who had never seen snow before if you possibly can. Some moments in life are unforgettable.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Every now and then a pro skier will try to do an “introduce inner city at risk youth to skiing program”. I guess it’s an effort but it kind of seems f-d up to remind em of our privilege and give them a taste of a world most will never be able to afford.

At this point, the sport of skiing has much bigger problems than diversity. My god, this year sure has been warm.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Every now and then a pro skier will try to do an “introduce inner city at risk youth to skiing program”. I guess it’s an effort but it kind of seems f-d up to remind em of our privilege and give them a taste of a world most will never be able to afford.
I think there are plenty of minority families with the financial resources to ski. There are other social variables that limit exposure and willingness to take that money to ski country instead of spending it where their other friends spend their time and money.

Sponsor